Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

GTS 4 conv

G5Day

Going to build soon, as such have final chance tomorrow to do any small spec edits. The one thing I keep going back and forth on is Ceramic breaks.

Expensive option, and whilst they are phenomenal do I really need them for road use. Also heard a few scare stories of small stones getting in and cracking them.

It's a big cost option and not clear what longer term running costs are. They wear much better so less frequent costs but I know a lot more when do need replacing. Not sure on pads wear and costs?

Any good or bad experinences with them, please let me know thanks

Greg

I don't have them but had a good think about it while speccing up and took advice from others.

Do you get better stopping performance? The GTS steel brakes are quite capable of keeping the wheels on the edge of ABS at any speed repeatedly, so no for road driving.

Is there much difference in handling/ride? There should be some, as the unsprung weight is reduced but I found it hard to detect - YMMV.

Are they cleaner? Near everyone says they produce much less dust but it's a big premium on 5 minutes with a bucket and sponge.

Are they cheaper in the long run? Don't know but if for some reason you need to replace them it's going to be in the £10-£15k ballpark, maybe more.

Even the dealer was ambivalent about them and the callipers are very yellow, which may not fit with your chosen colour scheme. After talking with quite a few exotic car owners they came out in favour of steel, both for road and track, which surprised me. I think if you have them, you'll love them but if you don't you won't miss them...

Many thanks. I think your last comment matches where I ended up. Aesthetically they look cool and they are phenomenal to use. But the spec costs, running costs and fragility eventually made my head win over my heart.

spec is crayon with red roof, red/black GTS interior, the red callipers are a better match to the colour theme.

PCCBs are fantastic. I have them on my 911 and had them on my last Boxster. I looked around for another 981 Boxster because I didn't want to lose that feature but couldn't find one.

If you're stressing about them being damaged (extremely rare) then don't buy them. I've had my 911 for 5 years no issues and my Boxster I had for 3 years no issues.

No pad replacement or disc issues in all that time. And they are not just for track, they are great on the road.

You don't get any brake dust by the way.

I've done over 40,000 miles and still on original steel discs and original pads. I wouldn't bother with ceramics personally. Its purely personal choice. No financial or technical logic in road use in reality.

Enjoy your build! great fun.

Better ways to spend your money on a C4 Cab. It's not the lightest 911 you can configure, the main reason for speccing them alongside longevity is how much weight you save. Unless you keep,the car for a long time you won't get the economic benefits and I don't really think Ona C4 Cab going for them as a weight saving option is justified. And as you say the red matches better!

See the spec date has probably passed. Did you go for them?

There is no sensible reason to have ceramics on a road car...but they are very cool and definitely stop better when pushing on or on a closed road...

However....with a small application of man maths they are justified....having to clean wheels repeatedly might mean you split a nail and that could get infected and cost an arm...hence I need ceramics mrs wife honest :thumb:

I'm not sure a cab is the right place for them, but each to their own.

The deciding factor for me would be colour of wheels? My 4S with steel brakes has black wheels, so just about bearable with the clinging power of brake dust.

What is the rest of the spec? And how long is the lead time?

Enjoy :thumb: :thumb:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Silage
Back