Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

1981 911SC Targa HELP

Well_Met

Hi All

Is a 1981 911SC targa a good buy at £12k? It's in need of full restoration, as in its sat covered in a field for a decade, plenty of paperwork however, it's covered 135k and is a LHD having originated in Germany. I'm in the verge of jumping in, any help much appreciated.

Cheers!

If you are brave have very deep pockets and good with a welder, then crack on :eek: rust rust and more rust highly likely

Thanks for the response. When I say sat in a field it is on paving slabs but they're overgrown. There's no carpets so I was able to check the floor and it seems pretty solid. It'll need new brake pipes etc I imagine. The engine was rebuilt 5k miles ago with receipts. The seats are all reupholstered as well. From what I can tell it just needs a good wet sand/buff and a major service/starter motor. Would that have been a good price hypothetically if it had been dry stored? Cheers

Professional (or semi-pro) you're looking at big numbers and doubt you'll see change from £20-30k.

I know someone who can do it for a good price and to a good standard if you want to go that route. Take a look at http://www.klassikerporsche.com/ they are an off-shoot to my Indy and the metal frabricator has more talent than Uri Geler :thumb:

:hand: Note the nuns don't work there but have a habit of turning up :grin:

Good news on the engine, how about the gearbox 915 box rebuild is £1500-2500 if its a bit crunchy between gears , common areas to prod with a screwdriver sills, kidney bowls (behind door latch) front inner wings, windscreen scuttle area and as its a targa where the hoop meets the body known rust trap. In todays bonkers market £12k is a good price and 30sc engine is pretty bulletproof.

oh and a replacement targa roof is £10k ! from an opc, if you get some pics plenty here who could help or sites below are a wealth of knowledge on earlier cars

www.impactbumpers.com
www.ddk-online.com

Thanks for the advice guys. I'll go back and check them hotspots with a screwdriver. Likelihood is that it's riddled though? Them forums are great I've just spent an hour drooling over projects (and learning how costly corroded 911s can be :eek: ) can I not just get the current Targa top renewed? It seemed in decent condition...

Roof can be recovered and all the seals are also available not trying to scare you but these projects can very quickly turn into a money pit.

good luck

cracking cars once sorted out

Good luck with it :thumbs:

I hope you buy it and give it a go...and also that you turn it around for peanuts and are able to drive it everyday with a :D on your face!

You only live once :thumb:

An update - so I got it for £9500, should be getting it early next week. I've been frantically sourcing parts, can you guys suggest the best places to look other than eBay? Such as the targa seals Gaz? 'You only live once' has been ringing in my ears all week. Haven't been this excited for some time. Here's hoping it isn't a money pit! :lol: Cheers

nice one get some pics up when you get a chance :thumb: there is a guy in the states that does a seal/refurb kit I will stick his details up when I find them.

Nice work.....you got 3k there to start getting it right 👍👍👍

Welcome to the Air Cooled gang. Get yourself over to impactbumpers.com those boys know their stuff. There will be rot in the kidney bowls, sills, inner wings (probably) outer wings, b posts. I know, i've been there.....

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Scratch
Back