Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Steering wheel options

Paynewright

I've been reading threads about wheel changes to a Momo model 7 with interest of late.

At 6'1" I find the driving position really comfortable with the standard wheel. With the seat most of the way back I don't have leg room issues either (no need for the console delete).

So, my question - with the momo boss kit and model 7 how much does this move the steering wheel closer to the driver? I know the dish is 70mm so wondering if the boss adds more distance (or subtracts) to the net change?

Just thinking a flat prototipo may be a better choice?

Ian

I'm 6-3, and recently fitted a mono cup wheel. Transforms the driving position, bringing the wheel about 2" closer.

Just changed mine to a MOD 07.

I'm 6ft. My problem is / was that I found it difficult to heel-toe with the standard wheel. The Mod 07, being a little closer to the body and a smaller wheel has got rid of this problem.

Furthermore, the wheel is lighter, so turning and throwing into the corners feels nicer in the hand.

Not sure where you are based, but you'd be welcome to come take a look,

I think those like Sunday Jumper have harnesses, and therefore less of a safety issue.

Those like myself, I see driving my 911 an "experience" and therefore, the thrill is something I look forward to.

With all things there is a degree of risk, and everything is a compromise.

This, coming from a guy who also rides motorcycles haha.

I also have a 924, that has ZERO safety features. It's that raw element that gives me a thrill too.

Your comments are not incorrect.. but the wheel for me has made a big difference to the experience in driving the car.

coullstar said:
I like some of the cup versions but I cant get away from the fact that I would be removing the airbag. Just seems wrong to remove such a vital safety piece.

Have you seen this? http://911uk.com/viewtopic.php?t=130453

If you like the 2" boss extension but cannot contact the guy here's his email
[email protected]

seems like a good product and he is selling them for many marques across numerious forums :thumb:

knw911 said:
I think those like Sunday Jumper have harnesses, and therefore less of a safety issue.

Those like myself, I see driving my 911 an "experience" and therefore, the thrill is something I look forward to.

With all things there is a degree of risk, and everything is a compromise.

This, coming from a guy who also rides motorcycles haha.

I also have a 924, that has ZERO safety features. It's that raw element that gives me a thrill too.

Your comments are not incorrect.. but the wheel for me has made a big difference to the experience in driving the car.

Yeah it's wierd as I've owned older cars and it's never bothered me , it's just to be when removing it I have that dilemma :lol:

Paynewright said:
I'm near Lutterworth in Leicestershire.

Ian

Your welcome to come and have a sit in mine with Momo 07 fitted if it helps. I am in Long Eaton

I would like to change my wheel to a smaller cup but that would mean I don't have a car that I can drive on business anymore.

Maybe if I get another 996 and make it a mini gt3 :)

Paynewright said:
So, my question - with the momo boss kit and model 7 how much does this move the steering wheel closer to the driver?

40mm

I've just been out and measured mine. It's hard to measure precisely but give-or-take the measurements are:

Stock wheel - 140mm
MOMO boss - 100mm
MOMO 07 wheel - 70mm

The MOMO boss also leaves a bit more of a gap between the boss & the steering column so you gain a few mm there and with a bit of rounding in the other numbers you end up at ~40mm overall.

And remember that you also have about 40mm of in-out adjustment in the column anyway. So if yours is all the way out at the moment, you could switch to the 07 wheel and push it all the way in and you'd end up pretty much where you are now. Or, if you're all the way in right now, you could end up with the wheel 80mm closer.

The other thing to consider is that increasing the dish of the wheel puts your hands further from the indicator / wiper stalks. You get used to it but it feels a bit weird at first. If you have small hands then the Prototipo might be a better bet.

Thats brilliant and exactly what I was hoping for. I'm not sure where the column is adjusted to currently so will check. I'm also taking up Ian's kind offer to check his momo out.

Hands are in proportion to my 6' plus frame so should reach OK !!

Cheers

Ian

Any photographs guys?

Momo Steering wheels are my favourite :thumbs:

Here's mine fitted to my 98 C2 with black leather

Attachments

• 45029950_10211895515775621_5164743146042556416_n_764.jpg
    45029950_10211895515775621_5164743146042556416_n_764.jpg
    37.9 KB · Views: 5,127
My Cup wheel with Metropole interior

b54I2ST.jpg

New Threads