Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Black paint vs Jet Black metallic

Vortex

Hi, would just like some opinions on the forum on standard black paint, I currently have a Basalt Black 2011 997 and was thinking of changing to a 991.2. The car I have been offered is a non-metallic straight black car being offered as an ex demo (under 1000 miles / 2018 car). Anyone have any experience with the standard black? Is it a nightmare with swirls? anything that can be done to keep it looking great in-between cleans? whats it like to live with.

I've had no issue with my 997 in Basalt Black as it is only used occasionally, kept in a garage and cleaned regularly with Swissvax. I know metallic black is traditionally quite a bit easier to live with.

Appreciate any experience or opinion - Thanks!

Two words - ceramic coating!

Our black Macan Turbo was ceramic coated a week after delivery and 18 months on is still like new.

Mine is basalt but I have gtechniq coating (can't remember which ones, csl &
Exo?) -£500
It means wash process can be done in 40 mins, and no more waxing.

The logic is more frequent washing, but takes less time.

Quick wash:
Snowfoam, rinse, shampoo through a second snow-foam lance (wash mitt if necessary), rinse, dry using open hose sheeting method. Towel for the water around light clusters. Glass cleaner spray/MF wipe on front and side windows.

Wheels every other wash.

Could be even quicker if I got a DI water filter.

My coating is ~30months on, still beads nicely.

Be warned about Gtech ceramic coatings and seagull s##t

It marks the ceramic coat and doesn't was off

Flat black should not be any worse than metallic to keep looking good, as all colours have a clear top coat.

Any swirls etc will be in the clear coat and can be polished out - invest in a DAS 6 pro if you haven't already got one.

I will warn you Jet black is not a patch on basalt and you have to be patient to get it to pop.

Given the choice again I would probably not spec Jet and save the premium

rossman999 said:
I will warn you Jet black is not a patch on basalt and you have to be patient to get it to pop.

Given the choice again I would probably not spec Jet and save the premium

This is my jet black macan yesterday, it had been machine polished and 2 coat of wax applied - still work in progress

Attachments

• image_1_536.jpg
    image_1_536.jpg
    520.3 KB · Views: 3,489

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
3sp1f8
Back