Welcome to 911UK
The only place for Porsche, 911uk is the definitive enthusiast and resource site for the Porsche 911.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so join up today for full access to the site and benefit from latest member offers.

Porsche Classifieds
Porsche Buyers Guides
Sell Your Porsche on 911uk
Create a Free Classified Advert
Search Ads
Classified Adverts FAQ
Trade Classified Information
Buyer & Seller Fraud Protection
Consumer Rights Act
Pre Purchase Inspection (PPI)
Porsche Car Sourcing
Porsche Cars Wanted
Official Porsche Centre Reviews
Model
Stock
Porsche 911
991 : 2011- 14
997 : 2004- 74
996 : 1997-2005 38
993 : 1993-1998 5
964 : 1989-1993 4
Carrera 3.2 : 1983-1989 1
Carrera SC : 1977-1983 2
930 Turbo : 1975-1989 0
Early 911 : 1964-1977 3
Porsche Other Models
Classic : 1950-1965 0
Boxster : 1997- 18
Cayman : 2005- 10
Cayenne : 2003- 6
Macan : 2014- 2
Panamera : 2009- 0
912-914-924-928-944-968 1
959 - CarreraGT - RaceCar 0
Car Parts For Sale & Wanted
Other Items For Sale & Wanted
Wheels Tyres For Sale & Wanted
Number Plates For Sale Wanted

Porsche Services
Porsche Body Shop Repair
Paint Protection & Wrapping
Porsche Classic Insurance
Porsche Classic Parts
Porsche Classic Restoration
Porsche Design Collection
Porsche Engine Gearbox Rebuild
Porsche Heritage & History
Porsche News
Porsche Picture Gallery
Win a New Porsche 911

Porsche Parts
Body Parts, Body Styling
Brakes, Clearance
Electrical, Exhausts
Engine Cooling, Engine Electrical
Engine Rebuild, Heating Cooling
Interior Incar, Lighting
Rubber Seals, Service Parts
Steering, Suspension
Transmission, Workshop Tools
Early 911, 911 - 930, 928 - 968
964 - 993, 996 - 997, Boxster
Cayman, Cayenne, Panamera

Porsche Model Range
911 [991] 2011-Current
Porsche 911 [991]
911 [997] 2004-Current
Porsche 911 [997]
911 [GT] GT1-GT2-GT3
Porsche 911 [GT]
911 [996] 1997-2005
Porsche 911 [996]
911 [993] 1993-1998
Porsche 911 [993]
911 [RS] RS-RSR
Porsche 911 [RS]
911 [964] 1989-1993
Porsche 911 [964]
911 3.2 1983-1989
Porsche 911 3.2 Carrera
911 SC 1977-1983
Porsche 911 SC
911 [Early] 1964-1977
Porsche 911 [Early]
Boxster & Cayman
Porsche Boxster & Cayman
Cayenne & Panamera
Porsche Cayenne & Panamera

911uk Site Partners

infrasilver
Fast & Furious
Fast & Furious

2001 Porsche 996 Targa

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 1:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have done a little bit of the coastline from Monaco towards Florence, there were some nice views but it wasn't the best, if I was in your shoe's I would probably park the 996 up securely in Nice for a few days, (I also recommend some time in Nice) then fly to Naples from there and do the Alfa hire, (Easy jet do direct flights Nice to Naples (prices currently £48 rtn in May 2019) it was great fun in the Alfa and it got soooo much attention and was a whole different experience.

I did say many times that I would have loved my 996 to be there instead of having the Alfa but the experience was well worth doing and the Amalfi coast is not really 911 territory.

Naples is a bit rough, I suggest Sorrento if you decided to do that part of the world and its easy to get to Pompeii and the Amalfi Coast from there.

Marky911
Watkins Glen

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks R-d, I'll order new one in the new year. Thumb

Hi Infra, thanks for chipping in, I know you've got got roadtrip info. Thumb

Yes I spoke to the wife tonight and I think we need to forget the Amalfi coast and give it its own holiday, flying there and hiring a car.

That may be next year instead of this roadtrip but I think we'll more likely press ahead with the roadtrip as that has always been the plan once I got the car how I wanted it.

So it'll be the south of France round to Portofino/Santa margherita and then as suggested maybe a factory tour or two.
Not sure how to head back, through France again or Switzerland and Belgium?

We have stopped at Reims before and Nancy, and we are doing St Quentin on the way down so maybe better to do Black Forest then Belgium, as it would be criminal to visit the same place twice when there's so much out there.

One thing I've also realised is that what we had planned meant hardly any mountain passes and that's a big reason for going.

So given we'll be around the south of France for longer now, are there any suggestions for days out, passes?

That's what I meant earlier when I mentioned possibly missing out on some gems without even knowing they were nearby.
It wasn't until we got home from Como that I spotted on a tea towel I bought my mum (rock and roll! Grin ) that Stelvio was near by. frustrated

So what passes or routes are good where I could leave Nice or wherever, for the day, but still make it back to that hotel at night.

Or any ideas for the return leg from Italy to Switzerland?

I've heard of loads of routes but haven't a clue where they are, e.g. Grimsal, Napoleon, Furka, etc.

Obviously I'll google these when I'm next not working.

Thanks. Thumb

Gorsh
Silverstone

2015 Porsche Boxster 981

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Route Napoleon is brilliant, do it when going to or heading north from Nice.

A trip into the mountains above Nice is great, I’ve not done it but the Col du Turini is supposed to be excellent.

infrasilver
Fast & Furious
Fast & Furious

2001 Porsche 996 Targa

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would recommend Metz as a stop off place, it's an amazing city with some excellent architecture and some great restaurant's. I lived there for 3 months and always go back when I can. It's just North of Nancy and can be done in one drive from Calais, although a long drive.

Most of the passes are great, Furka Grimsel and my favourite Susten, it's just when do you stop adding more and more to the itinary, there are so many and so much to see en route.

wasz
Sepang

1999 Porsche 996 Carrera 2

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agree, drive somebody else's car down Amalfi.

The 500 convertible we rented felt big on that road Drive

alex yates
Le Mans
Le Mans

2000 Porsche 996 Carrera 4

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally I wouldn't do the Route Napoleon. I did it last year and although it was OK I prefer the alternate route that runs down the left of it from Grenoble down to Sisteron. You come off the A6 just before Lyon (which can be hideous to drive through) and head over to Grenoble, then exit the auto-route down the D1075 down to Sisteron. Seemed like much faster roads and less traffic than the Route Napoleon. I've done this was about 4 or 5 times now. Napoleon's just full of motor homes and caravans with snail trails behind them frightened of overtaking.

Takes about an hour longer than the standard auto route way but breaks the journey up, saves a few quid on tolls, lovely scenery and some beautiful little villages and ski resorts.

I'm usually averaging around 60-70mph down that route.

Also a day out round Verdon Gorge is a must for epic scenery.

Here's an example of what the D1075 looks like:

Open Youtube Page

and here's the route (copy and paste the full link or it won't work):

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/dir/45.940516,4.7220565/43.4467505,5.8964706/@44.7058674,6.3776883,8.48z/data=!4m14!4m13!1m10!3m4!1m2!1d5.8952297!2d43.9243137!3s0x12cbc80b3db3abfd:0xee81f8798db9bcc3!3m4!1m2!1d5.7507536!2d43.6052103!3s0x12c97f74d45bf585:0xbef1f24c3013e0bf!1m0!3e0?hl=en

Marky911
Watkins Glen

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks lads. All great info.

It's all jotted down in my notepad.

New route now looking like

Home-Quentin-southern coast (Tropez, Nice or Cannes, undecided)-Monaco (1 night only)- Santa Margherita (2/3 nights with walk to Portofino one day and Pagani factory tour maybe)- Lake Garda- Switzerland- Metz- Home.

Probably 17/18 days so two days travelling each end and two weeks holiday in the middle.

Wasz you're right. We'll do Amalfi coast on its own one year.

Cheers for the info. I'll update as I book things.

Any major advantages or disadvantages between Nice, St Tropez and Cannes?

Cannot decide where to stay. My wife says do all three but that wouldn't really give us a base and would feel like moving on too often I think.

mr pg
Spa-Francorchamps

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Grimsel, Susten, Furka, and St Gotthard all form the Andematt loop in Switzerland, and are highly recommeded. Also very close by is the less well known (and therefore quieter) Nufenen. This and the Susten are my favourites.

infrasilver
Fast & Furious
Fast & Furious

2001 Porsche 996 Targa

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marky911 wrote:

Cannot decide where to stay. My wife says do all three but that wouldn't really give us a base and would feel like moving on too often I think.

Personally I would chose Nice every time and do as often as I can, there is loads to do there some great food loads of bars etc and always something going on. You can chill all day at the beach, sitting on the the beach is not my thing usually but there are some great places there to get waited on hand and foot with beers and food for the whole day.

Cannes is good for a day trip and possibly St Tropez too but ST is a bit of a dump (my opinion) in the daytime, dodging pushchairs and tourists and is quite small, it only really comes alive at night time and shows its true colours.

alex yates
Le Mans
Le Mans

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Surprised

You need to come down with me Chris!.......and feel the real St Tropez Grin

We (mate, son & I) stopped over in Nice twice last year whilst on holiday in St Tropez. I love it, it's a fantastic city, but for us just lacked the excitement, beauty and hedonistic atmosphere St Tropez repeatedly offers. Nice also has a very seedy undercurrent (like Marseilles but not as bad) and you need to keep on your toes, especially at night. Hookers on most street corners, tramps (who are beyond good at nipping your wallet - my parents have been done twice now.....during the day) and many European gangs running each area that are all at logger heads with each other.

The old town is the place to head for a night out and during the day the promenade des Anglais is alive with people. Plenty of restaurants and bars that are all reasonably priced and the daily market at the Cours Seleya is just epic, especially the Antiques market on a Monday. Also worth checking out who's on at Nice Jazz festival if you're down in July. infrasilver bobbed down to see Massive Attack this year and I saw De La Soul there last year. Also so Chic & Roy Ayers there back in 2004.

But.....give me St Tropez any day of the week. The beach clubs are just something else, the night life amazing and the mystique of the whole place is so addictive. Everyone who's ever come with me down there says the same thing - nowhere else they've ever been comes close. I suppose the key is who you know down there and knowing where to go.

Cannes is nice.

infrasilver
Fast & Furious
Fast & Furious

2001 Porsche 996 Targa

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cannes is Cannes not Nice, Nice is nice.

I know what you are saying, I have had a great time there and have visited ST quite a few times but not for a while now as I have found other places to see. I know there are good beach clubs in the area but the Port of ST just seems a little dull in the daytime with too many tourists. I like the area of St Maxime and some of those other beaches on the way in from the East.

There is a seedy undercurrent in Nice but I have been going for years and never had any problems there. Marseilles on the other hand, as beautiful as it is, is like a town of cages fighters but without a cage, an old port town that is no more, French scousers.

alex yates
Le Mans
Le Mans

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

French Scousers Grin love it!

Nice is fab, I can't knock it at all and would go there for a holiday over nearly any other European city resort.

But year after year I just get pulled back to St Trop......and every year just gets better. I'd post some of my holiday photos but they'll most likely get deleted by some of the mods Grin

I must admit, I wish Voile Rouge was still open - now THAT was a beach club that can only be compared to Tony Pikes hotel in 80s Ibiza Laughing

jkeith
Montreal

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Mark,

I spoke to my neighbour (Ken) who recently returned from a drive to Amalfi in his Morgan, his son was married there.

Ken chose to drive to Dover and cross by Eurotunnel.

He then made his way to Geneva and did 'La Routes Des Grandes Alpes'.

I have cycled this route and it remains the best trip I have ever made. La Bonnette ir the highest paved road in Europe and the contest for the best Col on this route is debated long by many. My favourite moment was the reveal of the Barrage do Roselend, Mont Blanc glowing like a beacon in the distance.

Ken didn't like the driving in Italy. He is a seasoned long distance touring driver and has done many of the famous passes. He has no plans to go back to Italy.

I can only add my vote for Nice. It was September when I did it and suspect I avoided the school holiday rush.

My trip didn't include any pre-booked hotel accommodation. That made the experience all the more enjoyable with some interesting communication challenges, my lack of good French and small family run hotels was great fun.

Please let me know if you need any further details from either Ken or me.

Cheers, Keith.
1986 944 turbo (sold)
968 Clubsport (sold)
964 (sold)

Marky911
Watkins Glen

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks again lads.

I have a rough route now planned. We'll probably stop at Nice for 3 or 4 nights.
My clubbing days are long gone. I like a nice meal and a few drinks, maybe with a band or two thrown in but I'm not interested in partying until 4am anymore. Especially when there's plenty to do the next day.

We aren't going to bother with a night in Monaco either. It was going to be a one night treat but we don't move in those circles so what's the point in spending £500 a night to feel like a fish out of water. Grin

Thanks very much Keith for speaking to your pal. As you'll have seen I'm gonna give the Amalfi coast a miss and do a proper week or two there in the future.
I'll check out that route des grande Alpes though! Cheers.
Thumb

Cunno
Indianapolis

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some of this may be of interest, northen Italy my favourite driving roads

Open Youtube Page

Ex: 2001 2.7 Porsche Boxster (Seal Grey)

Marky911
Watkins Glen

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That looks great Cunno!

I'll definitely use some of that lot.
That road in the drone footage after Jausiers looks ace.
We are travelling the opposite way to you but I'll adjust the route.

We are in Annecy for the second night. I was then going to do Route Nap N85 to Nice and then once in Nice, go out one day to do the Red Rock road D2202.

Instead though I think we'll leave Annecy and get up into the hills from Oulx, pass Sauvines Le lac down the side of the lake, then head to Jausiers.
I can then take the Red Rock Road back down towards the coast for our first night in Nice.

I'll run it through maps later and see how long it is. Happy to do a long day that day as we can chill in Nice for an extra day instead of going out just to do the red Rock road.

Thinking of Sauvines Le lac or Jausiers for lunch. Again, I will check times.

Thanks very much for that, another prime example of simply missing things due to not knowing what's there. Thumb

Y2K
Nürburgring

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Mark, just saw this thread and I see that you’ve changed your initial plan already, but just wanted to add a ‘+1’ on infrasilver’s suggestion.

infrasilver wrote:
I suggest Sorrento if you decided to do that part of the world and its easy to get to Pompeii and the Amalfi Coast from there.

The Amalfi coast can be a holiday in itself, fly to Naples, stay at Sorrento, then train / ferry / coach / moped / hire car to Pompeii, Positano, etc

Roads / scenery are great there but far too busy for a 911 and parking a pain.

Summer in that part of the world is too hot and humid even for me though, so perhaps a spring or autumn break is better for you and missus.

Thumb

isysman
Zolder

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When MrJWW first started his channel I talked with him quite a bit and gave him some advice on filming/editing etc. I invited him on this forum but someone was really rude to him and he never posted again. Can't remember who it was but it was enough to put him off.

Rhodris-dad
Montreal

2015 Porsche 991 Carrera 4 GTS

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

infrasilver wrote:
Marky911 wrote:

Personally I would chose Nice every time and do as often as I can, there is loads to do there some great food loads of bars etc and always something going on. You can chill all day at the beach, sitting on the the beach is not my thing usually but there are some great places there to get waited on hand and foot with beers and food for the whole day.

Cannes is good for a day trip and possibly St Tropez too but ST is a bit of a dump (my opinion) in the daytime, dodging pushchairs and tourists and is quite small, it only really comes alive at night time and shows its true colours.

+1 Thumb

I was a bit underwhelmed by ST.......plus summer traffic is horrendous.

If is a must.......take the boat from Frejus/Saint-Raphael.

If you stay in Nice........you can take a 40 min bus ride with stunning scenery for the exorbitant price of 1.50 euros to Monaco Grin

Marky911
Watkins Glen

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Y matey. bye

Yes definitely doing it that way and another yes for how hot it gets. My brother visited Pompeii in July as part of a cruise and he said it was almost unbearable.
Might make it Easter 2020 but I never plan that far ahead. Very Happy

This trip is aswell as the lads trip, Dinslaken so see how your fixed for that nearer the time. Thumb

Hi Isysman, that's interesting. I know you're handy with the video gear as I remember your video after your car was completed/detailed with a bit of drone footage too iirc. Goodstuff!

I like MrJWW but he just never has the words. Very Happy
Nah seriously, these youtubers get a lot of stick on forums for some reason, it seems to be the new cool thing to dislike them. Sad really.

Even though I'm a 40 year old bloke I'll happily admit to being an avid JWW fan. He's living the dream and I'd kill to be doing what he does.

I've followed his channel from the start when he went to collect his first Speciale and barely spoke to the camera back then in comparison to now. He's come a long way and rightly so.
It's a shame a few muppets put him off here, but he has bigger fish to fry than nerdy car forums now anyway. Very Happy

Sam, Seen through Glass is good too and I'm looking forward to his year long round the world trip next year.

These lads brighten up my days with their videos and if anyone thinks they're crap well I'd remind them what life was like before YouTube. The odd car program on tv and then a magazine or two from WHSmith. Dont know

Anyway, I'm rambling. Cheers for the post. Thumb

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: