Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

986 3.2 dead engine - Can I put ignition on with engine out?

Stoo.c

Monza
Morning all. I have removed the gearbox and engine from my 986 S as I bought it as an overheating car and unfortunately I've found its due to the coolant system being pressurised whilst running. We have either a head gasket failure or a cracked head so the plan is to whip the heads off and get them pressure tested and lightly skimmed ready for a rebuild.

At least that was the plan however when I drained the oil and removed the filter as part of the engine removal process, I noticed the filter is full of non-magnetic metal particles - I can only assume this is copper from the bearing shells. Totally unexpected as other than the coolant system pressurising after about 10 minutes of driving, the car drove fantastically. In fact if it weren't for the need to remove the engine, I would have had no idea about this until the next oil drop.

This leaves me with a dilemma as I hadn't really planned to spend any big money on this car so whilst I decide what to do (second hand engine, rebuild, sell, scrap), I want to get the car back off of my lift and out of my garage so I can work on one of my other cars however its obviously in service mode with the windows down and the roof half open. Can I plug the battery back in and turn the ignition on to close the roof and windows or is the car going to throw a major wobbly considering the engine is out and a lot of things are unplugged?

Many thanks for reading my ramblings.

You'll probably log a load of codes in the ECM because the engine loom isn't connected, but it'll be fine. Take the fuse out for the engine management to avoid that.

Otherwise, as long as the (now disconnected) battery cable isn't going to short on anything, you'll be ok.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Spider69
Back