Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Turbo s or gt3

jon911

An old debate but as time goes on more views the better. A choice I will have in the future not a daily drive,European tours, occasional track days, meets and drives around the country mainly best nine months,not a garage queen,four seats not needed. Any views well appreciated. Not thinking of any other models.Cheers Jon.

I am sure someone has just compared these 2 just this week...I am a bit too drunk now to do a search...sorry
drunk.gif

:thumb:

HSC911 said:
I am sure someone has just compared these 2 just this week...I am a bit too drunk now to do a search...sorry
drunk.gif

:thumb:

Lucky you :grin:

Given it is a 991 if budget permits and you are not interested in the shove from the turbo I'd pick a GT3 :)
My only concern would be the engine issues they appear to have so do get one with an OPC warranty.

apollokre1d said:
Given it is a 991 if budget permits and you are not interested in the shove from the turbo I'd pick a GT3 :)
My only concern would be the engine issues they appear to have so do get one with an OPC warranty.

:thumb: thanks

Have driven a Turbo S on a few occasions and am now privileged to be the owner of a GT3, so here's my viewpoint:-

Turbo S - brutal acceleration and pace, but in a civilised manner. Car fully loaded with all creature comforts. Turbine swoosh from the exhaust. Whole experience slightly Xbox. Highly competent on both road and track. Fast, fast, fast.

GT3 - brutal acceleration and pace in a totally uncivilised manner. Noisy, clunky, creaky and raw. Even at low speeds feels like a championship racing horse in the stalls waiting to explode out. Some creature comforts but minimalist compared to the Turbo. Happy to be on the road, but its natural domicile is the track. Even a short drive and you're left feeling like you've survived 10 rounds against Anthony Joshua. Growl and shriek from the exhaust and engine is the Bohemian Rhapsody of the car world.

On paper, both cars are not too far apart - in reality they are chalk and cheese and offer significantly different experiences :wink:

Best to drive both to form your own opinion. There are important differences between the two which you need to appreciate before committing financially. Good luck.

DRZ911 said:
Have driven a Turbo S on a few occasions and am now privileged to be the owner of a GT3, so here's my viewpoint:-

Turbo S - brutal acceleration and pace, but in a civilised manner. Car fully loaded with all creature comforts. Turbine swoosh from the exhaust. Whole experience slightly Xbox. Highly competent on both road and track. Fast, fast, fast.

GT3 - brutal acceleration and pace in a totally uncivilised manner. Noisy, clunky, creaky and raw. Even at low speeds feels like a championship racing horse in the stalls waiting to explode out. Some creature comforts but minimalist compared to the Turbo. Happy to be on the road, but its natural domicile is the track. Even a short drive and you're left feeling like you've survived 10 rounds against Anthony Joshua. Growl and shriek from the exhaust and engine is the Bohemian Rhapsody of the car world

On paper, both cars are not too far apart - in reality they are chalk and cheese and offer significantly different experiences :wink:

Best to drive both to form your own opinion. There are important differences between the two which you need to appreciate before committing financially. Good luck.

Many thanks it good to here a comparison from experience 👍

Having hankered after a Turbo or Turbo S for as long as I can remember, id definitely go for the

GT3 - simple choice :thumb:

DRZ911, excellent summary, love it, seems to be spot on.

I don't own either but my simple answer would be, Track use GT 3, not the Turbo. European road trips the Turbo not the GT 3. GT3's seem to have taken a bit of a dip in values and I would think are harder to shift, whereas the Turbo's seem to be a less focused car so easier to move on. Turbo S has taken a big dip in value compared to a std Turbo.
I looked at a 991 turbo against my 997 and I've kept the 997.

easternjets said:
DRZ911, excellent summary, love it seems to be spot on.

I don't own either but my simple answer would be, Track use GT 3, not the Turbo. European road trips the Turbo not the GT 3. GT3's seem to have taken a bit of a dip in values and I would think are harder to shift, whereas the Turbo's seem to be a less focused car so easier to move on. Turbo S has taken a big dip in value compared to a std Turbo.
I looked at a 91 turbo against my 997 and I've kept the 997.

:yeah:

I agree having owned 2 x GT3's & 2 x Turbo's ( one S ) albeit 997 models ...

Trackwork = GT3

Roads ( any) =Turbo

Terry

Even occasional Track days a Turbo needs a bit of fettling, Tyres and Brakes being the two main problems. So if you get an 'S' with Michelin Cup's on you'll be fine as they have PCCB's.
On track a std Turbo's brakes are hopeless, scarily bad, biggest problem is the Turbo is so quick in Sport mode that you have to scrub off a huge amount of energy and after 2 laps your brakes will be 'toast'. It wasn't just my car either, Norfolk & Idea was at the same track in an identical car and he had the same issues.

easternjets said:
Even occasional Track days a Turbo needs a bit of fettling, Tyres and Brakes being the two main problems. So if you get an 'S' with Michelin Cup's on you'll be fine as they have PCCB's.
On track a std Turbo's brakes are hopeless, scarily bad, biggest problem is the Turbo is so quick in Sport mode that you have to scrub off a huge amount of energy and after 2 laps your brakes will be 'toast'. It wasn't just my car either, Norfolk & Idea was at the same track in an identical car and he had the same issues.

Yep, deffo need bake upgrades if you're going to track a 997.2 turbo regularly. Pads, high spec fluid and braided hoses would go a long way to fettling it. Not a huge deal. Mine can get a bit spongy on the road too if I'm cracking on. Usually when a pesky motorbike wants to play.

OP's question. Pretty much covered already. But I will add, whichever way you cut it, you'll be paying overs on a GT3. Unless of course you're a 'Porsche Customer' at your local OPC. Worth a consideration when weighing it all up. And a turbo's faster! :wink:

Priceless heads up guys ta very much,trying to keep in good books with her in doors looks like the turbo s, but she does like the growl of the gt3 when following one :thumb:

They do look the business, especially so in C/Sport form with the cage and harness and they sound wicked on a track getting thrashed.
A turbo on the other hand doesn't have the rip but is still your best bet as an all round car, plus they're very quick and also bullet proof reliable (touch wood).
At the last Porsche track day at Croft a few Gt 3 went home on transporters, didn't fill me with confidence!

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
race911turbo
Back