Welcome to 911UK
The only place for Porsche, 911uk is the definitive enthusiast and resource site for the Porsche 911.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so join up today for full access to the site and benefit from latest member offers.

Porsche Classifieds
Sell Your Porsche on 911uk
Create a Free Classified Advert
Search Ads
Classified Adverts FAQ
Trade Classified Information
Buyer & Seller Fraud Protection
Consumer Rights Act
Pre Purchase Inspection (PPI)
Porsche Car Sourcing
Porsche Cars Wanted
Official Porsche Centre Reviews
Model
Stock
Porsche 911
991 : 2011- 18
997 : 2004- 71
996 : 1997-2005 30
993 : 1993-1998 3
964 : 1989-1993 5
Carrera 3.2 : 1983-1989 2
Carrera SC : 1977-1983 2
930 Turbo : 1975-1989 0
Early 911 : 1964-1977 3
Porsche Other Models
Classic : 1950-1965 0
Boxster : 1997- 21
Cayman : 2005- 16
Cayenne : 2003- 4
Macan : 2014- 2
Panamera : 2009- 0
912-914-924-928-944-968 1
959 - CarreraGT - RaceCar 1
Car Parts For Sale & Wanted
Other Items For Sale & Wanted
Wheels Tyres For Sale & Wanted
Number Plates For Sale Wanted

Porsche Services
Porsche Body Shop Repair
Paint Protection & Wrapping
Porsche Classic Insurance
Porsche Classic Parts
Porsche Classic Restoration
Porsche Design Collection
Porsche Engine Gearbox Rebuild
Porsche Heritage & History
Porsche News
Porsche Picture Gallery
Win a New Porsche 911

Porsche Parts
Body Parts, Body Styling
Brakes, Clearance
Electrical, Exhausts
Engine Cooling, Engine Electrical
Engine Rebuild, Heating Cooling
Interior Incar, Lighting
Rubber Seals, Service Parts
Steering, Suspension
Transmission, Workshop Tools
Early 911, 911 - 930, 928 - 968
964 - 993, 996 - 997, Boxster
Cayman, Cayenne, Panamera

Porsche Model Range
911 [991] 2011-Current
Porsche 911 [991]
911 [997] 2004-Current
Porsche 911 [997]
911 [GT] GT1-GT2-GT3
Porsche 911 [GT]
911 [996] 1997-2005
Porsche 911 [996]
911 [993] 1993-1998
Porsche 911 [993]
911 [RS] RS-RSR
Porsche 911 [RS]
911 [964] 1989-1993
Porsche 911 [964]
911 3.2 1983-1989
Porsche 911 3.2 Carrera
911 SC 1977-1983
Porsche 911 SC
911 [Early] 1964-1977
Porsche 911 [Early]
Boxster & Cayman
Porsche Boxster & Cayman
Cayenne & Panamera
Porsche Cayenne & Panamera

911uk Site Partners

Post new topic   Reply to topic
Author Message
jon911
Imola


Joined: 30 Dec 2011
Posts: 835
Location: Up North


PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

G2 wrote:
Thumb sounds like you will go for a GT3 and an osteopath for after Euro trips. thumbsup

Given the problems with engines (admittedly no one but porsche really knows percentage failures) I think a GT3 whilst it’s under warranty. And a Turbo later. There will be Turbos for a long time yet afterall.

I rented a GT3RS by the lap earlier this year. Unbelievable and way better than my driving is capable of taking to the limit. Safe to say I’ll do it again, but it removed the temptation to go buy a GT3 or RS.

Good luck with your deliberations...lovely problem to have Grin


Thanks g2 and all comments from you guys.
I think some more time driving each one and in different situations will be in order.If this was to be the keeper I would probably go turbo but who knows what's round the corner. Question Thumb
_________________
If you catch a weasel asleep piss in its ear-ole!!
991 Carrera aero kit cup
Ford Ranger
John cooper works (wife's)
______________________
997.1 c2s
 
  
View user's profile Send private message
   
Callughan911
Monza


Joined: 06 Mar 2009
Posts: 197
Location: London


PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I drive a lot in winter so think the 4wd of the turbo is very useful. However if you add winters tyres on the gt3 would it be as good? I think for the gt3 you need to buy the turbo alloys with winters to maintain N rating? The turbo kills the gt3 after a 100mph and if warranty is not an issue with exhaust and remap the turbo is faster than 99% of cars. However the gt3 is more exclusive car and visceral experience.
 
  
View user's profile Send private message
   
jon911
Imola


Joined: 30 Dec 2011
Posts: 835
Location: Up North


PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 5:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Callughan911 wrote:
I drive a lot in winter so think the 4wd of the turbo is very useful. However if you add winters tyres on the gt3 would it be as good? I think for the gt3 you need to buy the turbo alloys with winters to maintain N rating? The turbo kills the gt3 after a 100mph and if warranty is not an issue with exhaust and remap the turbo is faster than 99% of cars. However the gt3 is more exclusive car and visceral experience.



I agree winter tyres,my wife had winters on a countryman and tottally transformed the ability of the car.The 911 will have limited use in the bad months.
Fancy the exhaust and remap thumbsup thumbsup
_________________
If you catch a weasel asleep piss in its ear-ole!!
991 Carrera aero kit cup
Ford Ranger
John cooper works (wife's)
______________________
997.1 c2s
 
  
View user's profile Send private message
   
911TEL
Barcelona


Joined: 29 Oct 2007
Posts: 1446
Location: Inverness & Kazakhstan

2011 Porsche 997 Turbo S

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 6:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jon911 wrote:
Callughan911 wrote:
I drive a lot in winter so think the 4wd of the turbo is very useful. However if you add winters tyres on the gt3 would it be as good? I think for the gt3 you need to buy the turbo alloys with winters to maintain N rating? The turbo kills the gt3 after a 100mph and if warranty is not an issue with exhaust and remap the turbo is faster than 99% of cars. However the gt3 is more exclusive car and visceral experience.



I agree winter tyres,my wife had winters on a countryman and tottally transformed the ability of the car.The 911 will have limited use in the bad months.
Fancy the exhaust and remap thumbsup thumbsup


I have run my Turbo S through the winter months with Winter wheels and tyres AND a liberal coating of aCF type sprays on the underside , going to give the proper ACF a try this winter after recommendations (Phil’s) on here ....
Winter tyres transform a cars performance in the late autumn /winter months ...however the feel of the car on the winter treads is quite markedly different so adjustment of driving style and performance expectations is required ...

The Turbo I S definitely the choice if it’s to be used through winter ....unless using the GT3 front lip as a snow clearance tool is the aim ....it’s considerably lower so clearance on this snowy days would be a consideration ......!!
T
_________________
997 Gen 2 Turbo S Basalt Black -BBS CHR, Kline inconel exhaust, DSC V1 & Polished Bliss air freshener...
Cayenne S diesel 850 N/ m torque!!!! Jet black
SL 55 AMG Obsidian Black
Brompton S2L Black edition
 
  
View user's profile Send private message
   
jon911
Imola


Joined: 30 Dec 2011
Posts: 835
Location: Up North


PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

911TEL wrote:
jon911 wrote:
Callughan911 wrote:
I drive a lot in winter so think the 4wd of the turbo is very useful. However if you add winters tyres on the gt3 would it be as good? I think for the gt3 you need to buy the turbo alloys with winters to maintain N rating? The turbo kills the gt3 after a 100mph and if warranty is not an issue with exhaust and remap the turbo is faster than 99% of cars. However the gt3 is more exclusive car and visceral experience.



I agree winter tyres,my wife had winters on a countryman and tottally transformed the ability of the car.The 911 will have limited use in the bad months.
Fancy the exhaust and remap thumbsup thumbsup


I have run my Turbo S through the winter months with Winter wheels and tyres AND a liberal coating of aCF type sprays on the underside , going to give the proper ACF a try this winter after recommendations (Phil’s) on here ....
Winter tyres transform a cars performance in the late autumn /winter months ...however the feel of the car on the winter treads is quite markedly different so adjustment of driving style and performance expectations is required ...

The Turbo I S definitely the choice if it’s to be used through winter ....unless using the GT3 front lip as a snow clearance tool is the aim ....it’s considerably lower so clearance on this snowy days would be a consideration ......!!
T


Thumb
_________________
If you catch a weasel asleep piss in its ear-ole!!
991 Carrera aero kit cup
Ford Ranger
John cooper works (wife's)
______________________
997.1 c2s
 
  
View user's profile Send private message
   
isysman
Zolder


Joined: 22 Apr 2011
Posts: 5789
Location: Cheshire


PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote


Open Youtube Page



Open Youtube Page



Open Youtube Page

_________________
911 GT2RS Build & 981 Boxster S
Sold ~ 987 Boxster S 3.4, 997.1 3.8 Cab, 987 3.2 Boxster S, 986 Boxster 2.5

 
  
View user's profile Send private message
   
jon911
Imola


Joined: 30 Dec 2011
Posts: 835
Location: Up North


PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good vids cheers👍
_________________
If you catch a weasel asleep piss in its ear-ole!!
991 Carrera aero kit cup
Ford Ranger
John cooper works (wife's)
______________________
997.1 c2s
 
  
View user's profile Send private message
   
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic   All times are GMT - 12 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

 
Jump to:  

You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum
You cannot post calendar events in this forum