Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

A driving paradise? Seemed so to me.

Johnd52

For those who may be interested in this sort of thing. We have just finished a return trip to Madrid to support our daughter who was competing in an Ironman (37c - a heatwave even for Spain at this time of year). We were able to spend the best part of last week touring northern Spain, principally the area between Oviedo and Bilbao.

Imagine largely toll free motorways with bends for entertainment, well surfaced A roads that meander across open countryside with great sight lines, then passes as good as the Alps with tight narrow roads twisting and turning, clinging to the rock face. Extend your imagination to majestic scenery, unspoiled by cyclists, heavy vehicles, and general traffic. Indeed, imagine the best bits of Route Napoleon all to yourself. 'Green Spain', I can't recommend it enough for those who like road trips. Please don't go there as I want it to myself again next year.

We had a fantastic time, leaving at the last minute and booking ferries and accommodation 'just in time'. My Cayman 981 GTS now sits on the drive with 3700 miles of road grime and dead insects splattered across it. It was its third euro jaunt this year. The tyres are worn and the service light is flashing. But I know that, with a little TLC , it will be ready for the next one. Meantime, one particular memory of blasting up a canyon in sport + mode, with the exhaust echoing off the rock face, will remain for a long time.

I guess folk buy their cars for different reasons but, as compromises go, I cannot think of another car in the whole Porsche range which would be better suited to this type of use. And yes, the noise it makes is an important part of that enjoyment.

If anyone wants route information, please let me know. We used the Col du Tourmalet pass over the Pyrenees. Superb but it does not take long! We stayed off motorways on the way back, but the new blanket 80kph speed limit on all French roads without a central barrier does get a bit boring. (Camera warnings are clear and the speed traps are readily spotted if you keep an eye out.)

Already thinking about a return. Something to plan over the winter.

I have done two trips to the Spanish Pyrenees this year ...... the last one ending just two weeks ago.

The first trip was with Fast Track Tours down to the Classic Grand Prix at Monaco after which I travelled down to the Pyrenees and travelled from East to West staying in Coll de Nargo, Jaca and San Sebastian and then caught the ferry back to UK from Bilbao.

My second trip I travelled down through France and did a similar and sometimes the same route from West to East then back up through France and out of St Malo. The last trip was just short of 3000 miles.

I cannot recommend Spain enough ...... the roads are fantastic with very light traffic.

I will certainly be returning again next year but will forget the French bit and do a return trip out of Portsmouth to Bilboa or Santander.

France has become too bloody expensive ....... food and accommodation are far cheaper in Spain ...... I just really need to learn more Spanish.

Get over there and enjoy some incredible driving roads with little traffic ...... these opportunities are starting to become rare.

+1 Madalaa
We have traveled to the Costas many times over the years and the Portsmouth Santander route wins every time.
When you factor in the expensive flat boring toll roads, fuel,and overnight hotel.the ferry is good value

This talk of Portsmouth/Santander seems to be the route of choice when hitting up Spain. Considerations for summer '19

We have a flat in Gijon, just to the east of Oviedo. I agree about the roads around there, great surfaces, not much traffic, good scenery.

MC

John,PM sent ...

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
993gtnut
Back