Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

How long to genuinely feel familiar with a PDK?

segart

I haven't taken delivery of my Carrera PDK yet, but i did drive my friends Cayman GTS PDK a fair bit a while ago. Yes the box is terrific and awesome, but it feels a bit weird after years of stirring a manual, and not very intuitive, to me at least.

So the question is, how long is it before it starts to feel like a natural and familiar thing to use, and i am thinking of course in terms of using the manual selection and sport/normal modes, not just using it in auto which is dead simple naturally.
Cheers
Rick

segart said:
I haven't taken delivery of my Carrera PDK yet, but i did drive my friends Cayman GTS PDK a fair bit a while ago. Yes the box is terrific and awesome, but it feels a bit weird after years of stirring a manual, and not very intuitive, to me at least.

So the question is, how long is it before it starts to feel like a natural and familiar thing to use, and i am thinking of course in terms of using the manual selection and sport/normal modes, not just using it in auto which is dead simple naturally.
Cheers
Rick

In all honesty .... 5 minutes ......!

( If ) You have the paddles its intuitive

Shift PDK lever to manual and its back to playtime..

I have found that for the most part , leave in PDK Auto then its got plenty torque to handle any required situation ..!

Great box...

segart said:

Cheers
Rick

You really have to drive it foot to the floor everywhere (once it's warmed up) :grin: Otherwise never :thumb:

My 997 PDK is my first ever auto and in the first 2/3 weeks occasionally I kept going to change gear manually. I wasn't convinced I made the right decision. 5 months later and I would never go back to manual.

It might seem strange, but if you're new to the PDK, I would say that it's really important to keep your hands locked in the 9 and 3 positions, with the thumbs over the side spokes, so you can always reach the paddles with your finger tips (left for down, right for up). Think of it as the seating position for the track: wheel out, sitting up straight, arms at 9&3, car in manual, using the gears. At least, that's how I drive a PDK. It feels very intuitive very quickly. 8)

If on the other hand you leave it in auto, shuffle your hands all over the place, or drive one-handed (or adopt the 'Detroit slump', with seat reclined, head way back by the B pillar, one arm hanging languidly over the top of the wheel, the other fiddling with a phone), you will never be able to use the gearbox as it was intended. :eek:

spongebob squarepants said:
segart said:

Cheers
Rick

You really have to drive it foot to the floor everywhere (once it's warmed up) :grin: Otherwise never :thumb:

'Kin 'Ell.... if I drove my thing foot to the floor all the time I would be arriving at the scene of the accident before I knew it !

:hand: :lol:

MaxA said:
It might seem strange, but if you're new to the PDK, I would say that it's really important to keep your hands locked in the 9 and 3 positions, with the thumbs over the side spokes, so you can always reach the paddles with your finger tips (left for down, right for up). Think of it as the seating position for the track: wheel out, sitting up straight, arms at 9&3, car in manual, using the gears. At least, that's how I drive a PDK. It feels very intuitive very quickly. 8)

If on the other hand you leave it in auto, shuffle your hands all over the place, or drive one-handed (or adopt the 'Detroit slump', with seat reclined, head way back by the B pillar, one arm hanging languidly over the top of the wheel, the other fiddling with a phone), you will never be able to use the gearbox as it was intended. :eek:

:floor: :floor:

911TEL said:
segart said:

Cheers
Rick

'Kin 'Ell.... if I drove my thing foot to the floor all the time I would be arriving at the scene of the accident before I knew it !

That's why I need a turbo in my life :grin:

I get the idea! I will report when I have spent half an hour fiddling about with it!
Cheers
Rick

911TEL said:
segart said:

Cheers
Rick

That's why I need a turbo in my life :grin:

Just do it ... you know it makes sense ....!
I have just bought a spare set of wheels and winter tyres going to use it for as many decent winter days as possible ... means a lot of aashing but worth it ....😎😎vh :judge:

Test drove 3 cars, but knew after the first one. Use it in manual whenever I get the chance.

MaxA said:

^^^^^^^^ this.

Having had extensive use of both manual and PDK transmissions I can say that I have enjoyed both. (Haven't experienced tiptronic).
The PDK in the 997.2 is widely held as an excellent piece of kit, and speaking from experience, the 991.1 PDK is a step on from its predecessor.

For me, cruising around in slushomatic is reasonably dull. The first thing I do on start up is move the leaver to the left into manual and select sport.....it's engaging.

Horses for courses and personal preferences aside I would say to the OP, try using the PDK in sport and manual mode and resist using auto, at all.

pzero said:
Horses for courses and personal preferences aside I would say to the OP, try using the PDK in sport and manual mode and resist using auto, at all.
That sounds like good advice Pzero

' It might seem strange, but if you're new to the PDK, I would say that it's really important to keep your hands locked in the 9 and 3 positions, with the thumbs over the side spokes, so you can always reach the paddles with your finger tips (left for down, right for up). Think of it as the seating position for the track: wheel out, sitting up straight, arms at 9&3, car in manual, using the gears. At least, that's how I drive a PDK. It feels very intuitive very quickly.'
As does that Max.

I will give it a try but sounds like sense.

911TEL said:
In all honesty .... 5 minutes ......!
^This.

Certainly if my PEC Silverstone experience with the 991.1 GT3 and RS is anything to go by.

I've driven automatic cars a lot in the past, but both of my current vehicles are manual but, within minutes of setting out in the PDK car, I forgot what all the fuss was about - it is a very good system, so it is very intuitive to use.

If I want to just slob around, not avoid potholes, take any line as I want as long as its slow in/not quite so slow out, I take the Discovery. It has large seats, a ZF slobamatic, and a hefty stereo. It also has a manual mode but why bother troubling the old thing? It isn't decorous. It doesn't seem to mind being attached to the boat though and it doesn't make any difference as to progress (only the line).

If I want to really go for a drive, which is about 360 days a year, I'm in the 997, adopting the following dream sequence:

get in
leave the car door open
start the engine
enjoy the flare of revs
slip on the seat belt
wait for revs to drop to a sub 1000 idle
adjust the seat a bit straighter
press sport, or sports plus if I'm feeling especially perky (or at the track)
wait a bit more for revs to drop to a sub 1000 idle and the valve to close
press loud again when the valve closes
wait a bit more for revs to drop to a sub 1000 idle
when the revs finally drop....
slip into reverse
roll out of the garage
slip into neutral
do a quick rev
slip into manual
attach hands to wheel at 9 & 3
drive off
take it fairly easy for a bit until there's some heat in the oil