Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Yearly oil change

g911omr

Nurburgring
I have had my 3.4 C2 for about 16 months now. I had it serviced just after I bought the car at 53,500 miles. Mileage is now just over 55k.
The previous owner changed yearly regardless of miles. Currently running 5/40.
Should I stick with 5/40 or change to 10/50 or not waste my money and leave as is until I've done a few more miles?
:dont know:

Yearly oil change - 0w50 mobil 1 at that mileage.. Only just run in.

There is absolutely no chance of me doing 10k next year. :nooo:
1500 is about the norm for me.

It's frustrating dumping out "as new" quality oil but as said, it simply has to be done, for the next owner. Mad isn't it.

I'm in a similar boat although I generally do 3-5k per annum.
I use millers 10/50 at £100 a pop plus oil filter (from OPC).

What comes out of mine this year is going in my old volvo. :grin:

I agree, it is a bit mad and a total waste. I shall order some Millers 10/50.
Where is the best place to purchase?

Why the Millers 10w50?

I use Opie oils. They often have offers on, but by the looks of it at the moment all there is is free delivery on orders over £60.

This is the Millers a lot of the lads use now. As recommended by Hartech.
You'll need two 5l bottles.

https://www.opieoils.co.uk/p-115239...-cfs-10w-50-nt-full-synthetic-engine-oil.aspx

There are loads of other options on the Opie site though ranging from about £60 for 9 litres. Just type your reg in. :thumb:

alex yates said:
Why the Millers 10w50?

Because it's the best. Why scrimp on the most important thing for your engine?

Unless you mean why the 50 grade rather than 40. That's what Hartech recommend on older or high mileage engines.

My engine has only done 67k but I prefer the extra hot temp protection the 50 offers. Plus the extra .25 -.3 bar oil pressure when hot is reassuring.

Marky911 said:
I use Opie oils. They often have offers on, but by the looks of it at the moment all there is is free delivery on orders over £60.

This is the Millers a lot of the lads use now. As recommended by Hartech.
You'll need two 5l bottles.

https://www.opieoils.co.uk/p-115239...-cfs-10w-50-nt-full-synthetic-engine-oil.aspx

There are loads of other options on the Opie site though ranging from about £60 for 9 litres. Just type your reg in. :thumb:

Thanks.
Do you always go to your OPC for the filter?
I'm assuming that they would be made be MAN or the like?

I do but you are correct, they are Mann. Even the printing on them is identical.
My Indy gives customers the choice. I just go to my OPC as I'm usually getting other parts anyway.

My indy showed me a few horror stories years ago. One car was in for a rebuild because the aftermarket oil filter had collapsed and starved the engine of oil.
I think that must be etched into my memory, hence the OPC filter. :D

Marky911 said:
alex yates said:
Why the Millers 10w50?

Because it's the best. Why scrimp on the most important thing for your engine?

Unless you mean why the 50 grade rather than 40. That's what Hartech recommend on older or high mileage engines.

My engine has only done 67k but I prefer the extra hot temp protection the 50 offers. Plus the extra .25 -.3 bar oil pressure when hot is reassuring.

I wouldn't class 55k as a higher miler and I also wouldn't worry too much about the 50 on a engine that doesn't suffer bore scoring.

10w50 everday of the week on an M96/97 3.6 or above, regardless of mileage.

Anyway, lets not go down that topic of how to bring your kids up :grin:

:grin: :thumb:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Max V
Back