Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Temporary Insurance

Wh1t3Kn1ght

Montreal
Hi Folks,

Anyone have a good tip for temporary Insurance cover whilst test driving a prospective Porsche? The normal temporary cover companies won't cover Porsches. Got a quote from Adrian Flux for a 1-day policy which was £240!! That is the same as I'm paying for a 12 month policy on my 944 Turbo with agreed value cover :D

Thanks

Can the seller not do this for a few £ :dont know:

Worth an ask and he'd probably be a lot happier with you ragging it's pants off :grin:

:thumb:

Nearly all policies have a two week cooling off period. Just get a 12 month policy and then cancel it after the test drive. Free Insurance then.

alex yates said:
Nearly all policies have a two week cooling off period. Just get a 12 month policy and then cancel it after the test drive. Free Insurance then.

👍 Law now. Nothing to pay as I've just done it.

Just spoken to a couple of brokers - Adrian Flux and Classicline.

You can't have a car insured through 2 x policies to two different people as it creates an issue as which company is then liable for any loss or claims.

Also most Insurance companies charge an admin fee and a time on cover charge even if you cancel within 14 days - they are allowed to do this as long as the percentage charge meets some guidelines.

My main car is company Insurance which doesn't cover none company vehicles so I can't even drive it under 3rd party.

Think I will just have to be driven around in it by the owner and do some basic tests with the car standing e.g. clutch feel.

I wouldn't be comfortable driving someone elses car without the correct Insurance cover - who knows what might happen, some numpty could rear-end you etc whilst on the test drive and then could be a total liability issue.

I think it would be fairly simple for the seller to get you on his policy as a named driver - I am with General Accident, put my mate on for a trip to Stuttgart and was very straightforward. They actually put him on for the remainder of the policy period (4 months) and was only another £12.50 to pay. This was based on him having his own fully comp Insurance, good record, postcode etc. I was very surprised how cheap it was - was expecting a bit admin fee or something as well. In fact have left him on as a named driver for this full year just in case. Had to supply them with full details of driving licence, address etc.

Cheers..Ian

Sorry I don't believe that about two policies with 2 people. My lad bought a car on Saturday and had to insure himself on it to get it home. The previous owner probably had Insurance on it incase it got nicked off his drive.

Why are you bothering talking to brokers? Just go online and insure yourself with a company.

Sounds like you're being spun a load of twaddle.

Do people still bother with brokers :eek:

Just had a look at Aviva's t&c's - cancel within 14 days - no fee.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Spider69
Back