Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Debadged paint ghosting - suggestions

Richtw

Monza
Have just debadged my car, removing the Carrera 4S badge! It has left a slight ghost underneath in the meteor grey paint! I have lightly cut it and polished it but it is still there!

Am I chasing the unobtainable or is it possible to lessen it? my next step was to wet sand and re polish!

Car is 9 years old so a long time for the paint to fade!

Any success stories out there??

I used some Metallic T-Cut on my 2007 Cobalt Blue car. Took a good bit of elbow grease and multiple applications but did remove any trace of colour differences.

Attachments

• 41xvyjjy4zl_117.jpg
    41xvyjjy4zl_117.jpg
    16.2 KB · Views: 1,517
The clear coat should be protecting the paint from fading and Porsche do seem to use quite a hard finish IMHO. The quickest solution would be a machine cut and polish with a good quality DA polisher (like a DAS6 Pro Plus). If you don't have one then try contacting a good detailer who would be able to advise you on options, although you may end-up doing the whole car! Alternatively lots of elbows grease!

nikos525 said:
Wet sand with 3000 and then polish that will get it out.
Don't be scared about wet sanding with 3000, it is very fine.

:eek:

I have contemplated this 'fix', but never had the balls to try it on my pride and joy! If you do try this Rich, it would be great to see some before, during and after pics!

:popcorn:

Damn - should have checked this before I started. I went for TCut metallic in the end with LOTS of elbow grease!! The clear coat is bullet hard and it has Gtecniq over the top!

Was going to take it to my detailer but am too impatient and it's a nice day :)
Wet sanding would have been quicker! Either way the TCut managed it no problem in about 30 minutes by hand!!

TonyC911 said:
nikos525 said:
Wet sand with 3000 and then polish that will get it out.
Don't be scared about wet sanding with 3000, it is very fine.

:eek:

I have contemplated this 'fix', but never had the balls to try it on my pride and joy! If you do try this Rich, it would be great to see some before, during and after pics!

:popcorn:
The first time I did it was on a mates run around and really it is as easy as it seems.
I got a DA on it after and it polishes out in no time.
The trick is to take it easy & not be too aggressive so you don't take too much of the top coat off, and I agree with the top coat being quite hard.

I guess the question is:

"is it the clear coat or the colour coat that is affected?"

You can polish the clear but you can't polish the colour coat....

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stevemias
Back