Welcome to 911UK
The only place for Porsche, 911uk is the definitive enthusiast and resource site for the Porsche 911.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so join up today for full access to the site and benefit from latest member offers.

Porsche Classifieds
Sell Your Porsche on 911uk
Create a Free Classified Advert
Search Ads
Classified Adverts FAQ
Trade Classified Information
Buyer & Seller Fraud Protection
Consumer Rights Act
Pre Purchase Inspection (PPI)
Porsche Car Sourcing
Porsche Cars Wanted
Official Porsche Centre Reviews
Model
Stock
Porsche 911
991 : 2011- 17
997 : 2004- 68
996 : 1997-2005 30
993 : 1993-1998 3
964 : 1989-1993 5
Carrera 3.2 : 1983-1989 2
Carrera SC : 1977-1983 2
930 Turbo : 1975-1989 0
Early 911 : 1964-1977 3
Porsche Other Models
Classic : 1950-1965 0
Boxster : 1997- 18
Cayman : 2005- 12
Cayenne : 2003- 3
Macan : 2014- 1
Panamera : 2009- 0
912-914-924-928-944-968 1
959 - CarreraGT - RaceCar 1
Car Parts For Sale & Wanted
Other Items For Sale & Wanted
Wheels Tyres For Sale & Wanted
Number Plates For Sale Wanted

Porsche Services
Porsche Body Shop Repair
Paint Protection & Wrapping
Porsche Classic Insurance
Porsche Classic Parts
Porsche Classic Restoration
Porsche Design Collection
Porsche Engine Gearbox Rebuild
Porsche Heritage & History
Porsche News
Porsche Picture Gallery
Win a New Porsche 911

Porsche Parts
Body Parts, Body Styling
Brakes, Clearance
Electrical, Exhausts
Engine Cooling, Engine Electrical
Engine Rebuild, Heating Cooling
Interior Incar, Lighting
Rubber Seals, Service Parts
Steering, Suspension
Transmission, Workshop Tools
Early 911, 911 - 930, 928 - 968
964 - 993, 996 - 997, Boxster
Cayman, Cayenne, Panamera

Porsche Model Range
911 [991] 2011-Current
Porsche 911 [991]
911 [997] 2004-Current
Porsche 911 [997]
911 [GT] GT1-GT2-GT3
Porsche 911 [GT]
911 [996] 1997-2005
Porsche 911 [996]
911 [993] 1993-1998
Porsche 911 [993]
911 [RS] RS-RSR
Porsche 911 [RS]
911 [964] 1989-1993
Porsche 911 [964]
911 3.2 1983-1989
Porsche 911 3.2 Carrera
911 SC 1977-1983
Porsche 911 SC
911 [Early] 1964-1977
Porsche 911 [Early]
Boxster & Cayman
Porsche Boxster & Cayman
Cayenne & Panamera
Porsche Cayenne & Panamera

911uk Site Partners

jonttt
Zolder

2014 Porsche Boxster 981

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2018 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

krishcanag wrote:
To all the guys who talk about "emotion"....A car has 4 wheels, somewhere to sit a steering wheel and a engine/gearbox of some kind.
I bet the same type of guys might say a E type Jag is glorious...when it drives like a bath tub

If you want real emotion drive a women through the gears she will give you far more emotion !!!

So why are you driving a Porsche, save yourself some money and get a ford. Talk about contradicting yourself Rolling Eyes
2014 Porsche Boxster GTS My Journal
2017 BMW 740 Msport
2017 RR Evoque Autobiography

jonttt
Zolder

2014 Porsche Boxster 981

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2018 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

New997buyer wrote:
jonttt wrote:
New997buyer wrote:
jonttt wrote:
Thanks for sharing your facts but cars are about emotion as much as facts and personally the 718 leave me cold nooo

Potato, potato Dont know

Plonker Plonker Grin

Any discomfort i feel is for you. I guess a sense of humour just isn’t your thing Dont know

Comedy isn’t yours, stick to politics Floor
2017 BMW 740 Msport

ScotGT4
Trainee

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2018 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool.

My Mini has Porsche heritage! Dont know (because that's why they made it so eh?)

It's just a pity it hasn't got a spoiler I can keep in the up position! Grin

Previous - Cayman GTS

krishcanag

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2018 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Obviously, many are stuck on the 981 GT4 just on the sound which I understand, I just won't spend 20k extra to buy any car that is slower it's 14 seconds slower on the Nuremberg track just for the sound. If the new 718 GT4 comes with PDK I would buy it if offered else it might be a R8 V10 +, the best budget supercar

krishcanag

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2018 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jonttt wrote:
krishcanag wrote:
To all the guys who talk about "emotion"....A car has 4 wheels, somewhere to sit a steering wheel and a engine/gearbox of some kind.
I bet the same type of guys might say a E type Jag is glorious...when it drives like a bath tub

If you want real emotion drive a women through the gears she will give you far more emotion !!!

So why are you driving a Porsche, save yourself some money and get a ford. Talk about contradicting yourself Rolling Eyes

You missed the point....it's just too much talk about emotion.... Porsche make great cars

So let's say someone makes a car that is slow but plays a great soundtrack linked to you right foot....some of you will go buy it 🤣

phil84afc
Silverstone

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2018 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For what it's worth, I yearn to own a GT4 but do not feel that way about the 718 GTS. Both great cars but the GT4 is more special, looks better (to my eye) sounds better and is still the best Cayman Porsche has ever made worship
Sold 986 Boxster S
Sold 987 Boxster S
987.2 Cayman S / 205 1.9 GTi

New997buyer
Fuji

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2018 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ScotGT4 wrote:
Cool.

My Mini has Porsche heritage! Dont know (because that's why they made it so eh?)

It's just a pity it hasn't got a spoiler I can keep in the up position! Grin

Grin Thumb

Present - 997.1 turbo man
Past - 997.1 turbo tip S, 996.2 turbo tip S, 996.1 C2 man

New997buyer
Fuji

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2018 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jonttt wrote:
krishcanag wrote:

Another chavtastic comment there Jontit. Well may you roll your eyes. I’ve been on here long enough to witness you chump your fat gums about the selling out of Porsche when they stopped making the 993.....not long after you’d acquired an, er, 993. You filled this forum with stories of how water cooled engine Porsche’s ruined the brand and how you’d never consider an M series engined car because of what they represented.

Contradictions?

Fast forward a few years and you’re at it again. Talking up the M series engined Boxster because....you have one. And telling everyone who’ll listen how it is the best and blah blah blah. But of course that’s not a contradiction...nit when you do it. You’ve lots of money so what you do is always correct.

Which would be fine. But you belittle those who dare to not follow the Porsche ownership path you do. And that isn’t fine.

You may have bags of money Jon, but that’ll never compensate for having zero class. Loser

Present - 997.1 turbo man
Past - 997.1 turbo tip S, 996.2 turbo tip S, 996.1 C2 man

mohitos
Barcelona

1995 Porsche 993 Carrera 2

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not the only one to find him offensive then Floor

Here's a photo of him with his good lady wife.

Considerably richer.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  29.02 KB
 Viewed:  1471 Time(s)

Considerably richer.jpg

jonttt
Zolder

2014 Porsche Boxster 981

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

New997buyer wrote:
jonttt wrote:
krishcanag wrote:

Another chavtastic comment there Jontit. Well may you roll your eyes. I’ve been on here long enough to witness you chump your fat gums about the selling out of Porsche when they stopped making the 993.....not long after you’d acquired an, er, 993. You filled this forum with stories of how water cooled engine Porsche’s ruined the brand and how you’d never consider an M series engined car because of what they represented.

Contradictions?

Fast forward a few years and you’re at it again. Talking up the M series engined Boxster because....you have one. And telling everyone who’ll listen how it is the best and blah blah blah. But of course that’s not a contradiction...nit when you do it. You’ve lots of money so what you do is always correct.

Which would be fine. But you belittle those who dare to not follow the Porsche ownership path you do. And that isn’t fine.

You may have bags of money Jon, but that’ll never compensate for having zero class. Loser

What a load of crap Hand

If you want to be specific I have made no secret over the years of the fact that I do not like the 996. Thats for various reasons which include its looks, its interior, the fact porsche shafted owners with a flawed engine design, etc... etc.... The reason you took such a beef to my liking the 993 over the 996, other than you being a plonker in general with a massive chip on your shoulder, is that you happned to own a 996 at the time Floor

We have been through this many, many, many times over the years, hell there is even a thread somewhere just about the two of us arguing thumbsup but we basically agreed to stay out of each others way. Thats pretty easy for me as you don;t really contribute much other than to "politcal" threads Rolling Eyes

I fundamentally disagree with the comments made by the OP on this thread, based on my actual experience and opinion. I make no apology for that. I am always considerate to the "feeling" of other porsche owners and only comment when I genuinely feel it valid and in the appropriate thread. I felt this thread was appropriate to both have and express an opinion. Again I make no aplogise for that.

Whereas you once again simply wait in the background to take another opportunbity to create an argument and make it personal. I've no problem with that but it works both ways Thumb
2017 BMW 740 Msport

jonttt
Zolder

2014 Porsche Boxster 981

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

oops double post
2017 BMW 740 Msport

jonttt
Zolder

2014 Porsche Boxster 981

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

krishcanag wrote:
jonttt wrote:
krishcanag wrote:

You missed the point....it's just too much talk about emotion.... Porsche make great cars

So let's say someone makes a car that is slow but plays a great soundtrack linked to you right foot....some of you will go buy it 🤣

Yep thats exactly the point. Thats why I sold a Ferrari 488 and kept the much slower 981 GTS, I got more enjoyment out of driving the 981. I learned a long time ago that chasing the fasted is ultimately unrewarding in the modern era.

The fact you simply don't see that is not a problem. If your goal is speed then I perfectly accept your preference for a 718 over a 981 GT4 given the price difference. I'm not saying your wrong in your views. The point I'm trying to get across to you that your view that the 718 is the better car is not the case for everyone as there are other benchmarks than 0-60 times or lap times thumbsup

Newbuyer, in his usual predicatable way is trying to imply that I am biased in my view because I own a 981. What he fails to recognise is that I bought a 981 over a 718 BECAUSE of that view ie I put my money where my mouth is Wink (just as he failed to recognise all those years ago that I chose to buy a 993 instead of a more modern 911, not becasue I could not afford one but because I genuinely preferred it and hence actually bought one!)

ps in advance of yet another predictable repost by the much more intellectually gifted newbuyer I will apologise for stating that I owned a 488, I know its crude but I felt warranted in this case to get my point across that yes I would indeed choose a slower car over a faster car if it was "emotionally" more rewarding to drive Rolling Eyes
2017 BMW 740 Msport

mikeluke
Albert Park

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Back on topic....

I would agree with earlier comments about not having to drive the 981S past 5K revs to get the noise and feel - with the sports exhaust it makes a pretty decent noise at 3-4K - drive with the roof down and you get the full benefit. Too much noise? Switch off the exhaust and pootle through town.

Best of both worlds.

It has nowhere near the grunt of my old 996 Turbo S, but makes a better sound and still plenty quick enough to enjoy it.

Back off topic...

The M140i is mental - you could lose your license easily whilst thinking that you were only doing about 65 mph....
BMW M140i (Mrs L's)
VW Polo Match 1.2 (the lad's)

Former:
996 Turbo S Cabrio Manual
996 Turbo Coupe Tip
968 Cabrio Manual

Boxsey
Watkins Glen

1990 Porsche 964 Carrera 2

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2018 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm glad that I recently got to spend a couple of days in a 718 because I now know that the sound is awful, the brakes are mushy and too assisted, the steering is numb, they have no road presence and the sound is awful. So you can say what you like about the near equivalent performance of a 718 GTS but it is not in any shape or form in the same league as a GT4 to own, drive and enjoy.

Racing Yellow Cayman GT4

History of my now gone 964

tim993
Zolder

2016 Porsche Boxster 981

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 7:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boxsey wrote:
I'm glad that I recently got to spend a couple of days in a 718 because I now know that the sound is awful, the brakes are mushy and too assisted, the steering is numb, they have no road presence and the sound is awful. So you can say what you like about the near equivalent performance of a 718 GTS but it is not in any shape or form in the same league as a GT4 to own, drive and enjoy.

interesting - I was not a huge fan of the regular 981 brakes. Very capable of course (its a Porsche) but having now tried 991 brakes, they are in a different league. The GT4 has tasty big brakes too, so I imagine they are awesome!

how do you find the GT4 suspension on UK roads? I have to say that whilst I prefer X73 to PASM, I understood that GT4s go another stage further.

(sorry OP - I am also a fan of the 718, just that the GT4 is quite distracting!)

1995 993 turbo

Boxsey
Watkins Glen

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tim993 wrote:

interesting - I was not a huge fan of the regular 981 brakes. Very capable of course (its a Porsche) but having now tried 991 brakes, they are in a different league. The GT4 has tasty big brakes too, so I imagine they are awesome!

how do you find the GT4 suspension on UK roads? I have to say that whilst I prefer X73 to PASM, I understood that GT4s go another stage further.

(sorry OP - I am also a fan of the 718, just that the GT4 is quite distracting!)

I was taken aback at how good the GT4 suspension is on UK roads. It's far more compliant than my Cayman R was. Yes it's firm but doesn't bounce around and just takes everything in it's stride. Even rides potholes well (probably because of the huge tyres). There are a number of reasons why I wouldn't use it as a daily driver, one of the main ones being how low it is at the front which is exacerbated by the long overhang. This can be a real PITA when it comes to speed humps and sloping petrol forecourts and car parks.

Racing Yellow Cayman GT4

mangobay
Silverstone

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Totally agree with all of the Steve.

The front lip thing is nuts. The GT4 could really use a front-lift option like the GT3. You should see the made-to-order alloy ramps I had to have made just to get mine in and out of my garage (as I have a sloping entrance)....
ex 997.2 C2S

tim993
Zolder

2016 Porsche Boxster 981

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

how low are we talking?

1995 993 turbo

spongebob squarepants
Shanghai

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Putting aside the 981 v 718 (the 981 is clearly the best Grin) Id seriously consider a 987 Cayman with the new Hartech rebore over both the above Thumb
I think alot will go this way and many old Boxsters/caymans/911's are about to get a new lease of life Thumb

edit* In fact I may even buy one run it and wait for the inevitable engine meltdown worship Grin

991 C2S X51 powerkit PDK in racing yellow, PCCB, PDCC, PSE, Sports design kit, ducktail.
EX 997.2 Carrera 4S PDK
EX 997.2 Carrera S PDK
EX 993 C2 manual in guards red
EX 997 C2 gen 2 PDK
EX 993 Targa
EX 993 Carrera 4 manual
EX 996 3.4 Cabriolet

Boxsey
Watkins Glen

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tim993 wrote:
how low are we talking?

About 11 cm Tim. And with it being about 70 cm between the front of a wheel and the lip..it's very easy to make a school boy error of mounting a kerb with the front in a car parking space. Hand

Racing Yellow Cayman GT4

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: