Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

A stupid Newbie question about tyres.

Milo72

Spa-Francorchamps
I need two new front tyres. Currently it has Pirelli's on it but reading this forum it seems people favour the Michelin's.... MP4s ???

So I confidently phone the tyre garage with my size and he asks 'do you mean the super sport' 'or maybe the cup 2?' Errrrrrrrr.... I don't know. He then goes on to tell me that they aren't N rated and I will be fitting that my own risk..... I said I would get back to them.

So my stupid question is... what is it I actually want.

I have the 19" lobster claw wheel with Pirelli 235/35/19 on at the moment.

If you don't have (or want) an OPC warranty, you can move away from N rated tyres. I wouldn't have thought that you want Michelin Pilot Sport Cup2s are they're basically a semi slick and I wouldn't want to run them in the wet or in the winter.

I would suggest the latest Michelin Pilot Sport 4S in the original sizes, which is the go-to tyre nowadays. I would not want the older Super Sport or Pilot Sport 4 anymore either.

MaxA said:
If you don't have (or want) an OPC warranty, you can move away from N rated tyres. I wouldn't have thought that you want Michelin Pilot Sport Cup2s are they're basically a semi slick and I wouldn't want to run them in the wet or in the winter.

I would suggest the latest Michelin Pilot Sport 4S in the original sizes, which is the go-to tyre nowadays. I would not want the older Super Sport or Pilot Sport 4 anymore either.

Many Thanks - ordered and getting fitted tomorrow :)

Let us know how you get on. Ideally you'll do 4 but I don't know how much tread (and or money) you have left.

MaxA said:
Let us know how you get on. Ideally you'll do 4 but I don't know how much tread (and or money) you have left.

The rears probably have another 5k in them so they can wait till next month, got a major service and a front nose respray this month and the Mrs seems to be objecting to eating beans on toast every night :D

basically, MPS4S aren't N rated as it isn't worth Michelin time or cost to do so, but they are awesome. Noticeably better than MPS2's which are N rated, and, well, Pirelli..... oh dear!!!!!

It's a myth about Pirelli's....each to their own I say.......I have Pirelli P Zero N rated tyres all round, with 305's on the back and they are great, excellent grip in the dry and have also been very good in icy, slushy conditions (albeit I run a C4S).
A colleague of mine with a 997 Turbo was running Michelin's and didn't like the noise...mine was quieter....so depending on your car, it's set up and how you drive them, there's as much variation as there are shades of green in grass. Nothing wrong with MPS4S though...

If Pirelli are good enough for F1..... :grin:

I ran with MPS4S on the front & 4mum Pirelli's on rear for a vcouple of months with no issues. Was cautious of standing water, but was a definite improvement.

Think of it as an excuse to push the rears hard to finish them off (in the dry)!

I was that colleague, I think this now qualifies me for a job in Asda!

Noise on my Turbo was down to chassis, both Pirelli and Michelin are good but I've driven both on track days and with out doubt the Michelin are far better for grip when they get hot, a friend has them on a Boxster and we both thought the grip was brilliant although we took about 2 mm off the tread in a day!
The Mich Pilot sport 2 is 'N' rated as is the P Zero.
Blackcircles are owned by Michelin so you might get best price there.

Thank for all the advice.... going to have to run the Michelin on the front and Pirelli's on the back for a little bit. Can't justify taking 7mm tyres off unless it handles really bad.

As for cost I managed to get a pair of MPS4S for the front for a beer over £300.... not a London beer either.

Milo72 said:
going to have to run the Michelin on the front and Pirelli's on the back for a little bit

NO!!!!!!!!! :eek:

This is against Pork law :cop:

:grin:

HSC911 said:
Milo72 said:
going to have to run the Michelin on the front and Pirelli's on the back for a little bit

NO!!!!!!!!! :eek:

This is against Pork law :cop:

:grin:

Ok Ok..... beans it is for the rest of the month.

Off to burn up some Pirelli's. :D

Don't know how it is in the UK but in Germany the Pirelli's are 25% cheaper... and this is with the Michelins currently being on offer.

This typically drives my decision making process for a consumable - I personally like Pirelli's I get that people prefer PS4's but that doesn't mean Pirelli tyres are crap.

I drive in Germany as fast as I can on motorways and screeching around corners on county roads and don't ever think I have a grip issue..

like the previous comment - if they are good enough for Formula1...

As only one manufacturer is allowed to supply tyres in F1 I don't think it is relevant. Plus the compounds etc used in F1 are totally different to what we put on our cars.
I like Michelin tyres but look at the 2005 U.S. GP, think that cost Michelin millions in bad PR.
What most people are saying is 'I prefer this tyre over that one' not because one is bad or one is good, it's just a preference.
After all McLaren will run no other tyre on their cars than Pirelli and a Veyron runs Michelin Pilots that need changing every 2500 miles!
As long as non of my wheels overtake me when I'm doing @@@ mph I'm happy.

easternjets said:
As only one manufacturer is allowed to supply tyres in F1 I don't think it is relevant. Plus the compounds etc used in F1 are totally different to what we put on our cars.

Plus I found that the tyre blankets were using more power than it took to cook the Sunday roast, and were a pain when I just wanted to go to Sainsbury's.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GT3161
Back