Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Car with Spacers - got any pictures?

Milo72

Spa-Francorchamps
I started another thread about spacers which has confirmed the route I plan to go... and put them on.
initially I thought 7mm in the front and 15mm on the back until I saw a member had 15mm all round. It got me thinking if I did 7 & 15 would it make the car look disproportionately wider at the rear?

Has anyone got any pictures of their car with spacers (ideally 7 & 15) so I can get an idea of how it looks.

I've got the stock 19" crab claw wheels, if it makes a difference.

Many Thanks

I've put 15mm on rear and 7mm on front here's the before and after pics. I wouldn't go 15 mm on the front.

Attachments

• spacers_fitted_249.jpg
    spacers_fitted_249.jpg
    642.8 KB · Views: 3,093
  • spacers_before_fitting_165.jpg
    spacers_before_fitting_165.jpg
    721.6 KB · Views: 3,093
easternjets said:
I've put 15mm on rear and 7mm on front here's the before and after pics. I wouldn't go 15 mm on the front.

Nice one... thanks for this, the rear end looks much better and the look i'm hoping for. I did think that 15 on the front maybe too much.

I've gone from 7 & 15 to 15 all round - it looks the same as Easternjets's pictures above in terms of stance. I much prefer the 15 mm all round; I thought the fronts were too tucked in with 7 mm spacers. Obviously it's down to personal preference.

Counter Of Beans said:
I've gone from 7 & 15 to 15 all round - it looks the same as Easternjets's pictures above in terms of stance. I much prefer the 15 mm all round; I thought the fronts were too tucked in with 7 mm spacers. Obviously it's down to personal preference.

Oh man..... now i'm thinking of that again. You got any pictures ?

If I put a meter ruler vertically against the wheel when the car is stood on my garage floor, there is a gap of around 1mm between the ruler and the wing!
So if you fit an extra 8 mm onto the hub you are going to end up with a car that is technically illegal on UK roads, this is because the tyre will protrude outside the wing!
This is the reason why nearly everyone fits 15 mm on the rear and 7 mm on the front, to keep it legal and MOT friendly.

easternjets said:
If I put a meter ruler vertically against the wheel when the car is stood on my garage floor, there is a gap of around 1mm between the ruler and the wing!
So if you fit an extra 8 mm onto the hub you are going to end up with a car that is technically illegal on UK roads, this is because the tyre will protrude outside the wing!
This is the reason why nearly everyone fits 15 mm on the rear and 7 mm on the front, to keep it legal and MOT friendly.

Are the offsets/widths of a front turbo wheel the same as a C2? - that's maybe where the difference is. :?:

It depends on your alignment, the width of your rims and the profile and shoulder of the tyre: if you get a realignment and add negative camber, the wheels are pulled in and looked a lot more 'tucked', so wider spacers may be required. If you stick to the original factory settings and haven't lowered the car, then 15&7 mm might well be fine.

I ran 12mm all round on my C4S, but with new rims, tyres, H&R springs and a realignment, 12mm isn't quite enough at the rear, and is OK at the front. 7mm was insufficient at the front in my view.

My alignments are as per factory set up, done last year.

Putting negative camber on just so that you can fit an extra wide spacer is utter madness, the only thing that's going to be 'tucked in' is you into the first hedge back you come to! Advising people to do this is dangerous.

easternjets said:
My alignments are as per factory set up, done last year.

Putting negative camber on just so that you can fit an extra wide spacer is utter madness, the only thing that's going to be 'tucked in' is you into the first hedge back you come to! Advising people to do this is dangerous.

I've just looked it up to answer my own question and no the specs of a Turbo wheel and a C2 wheel appear to be different.

As far as I can tell from a quick google search standard specs of each front wheels are below:

Turbo - 19x8.5 ET55
Carrera - 19x8 ET57

So a Carrera wheel sits inside the arch 8.3mm more than a standard Turbo wheel, so you fitting a 7mm spacer on a turbo is the equivalent of fitting a 15.3mm spacer on a Carrera if the above wheel specifications are correct.

Milo, remember when asking a question about spacers a huge amount depends on size of alloy as one of the porsche OE alloys is 1/2" wider than the others as already mentioned depends on tyres as some have a much wider rim protector and more vertical profile , and lowering and camber also play a part and will dictate what you need to get the stance perfect . this is why its suggested that guys start at 7mm and 15mm as that gives the best genetic look but you may find that after a while you want to tweak either fronts or rears a bit . I must have brought at least a dozen prs of spacers for both my 997s to get the stance I wanted those I didnt eventually need are easily sold on here or ebay.

now to add to your dilemma but to demonstrate what I mean heres some pics of my two

midnight blue car with acid accents are 5mm all round its a narrow body car with 8.5" front alloys and 11" rears on narrow body offset running MPS3 tyres and is lowered on techart springs.
The aqua blue car is a widebody and is running narrow body offset 8.5" and 11" alloys with MPSS tyres lowered on H&R springs it has 3mm front and 17mm rear spacers on it.
I honestly think your best bet is to do what Nick (eastern jets) suggests and get a straight length of something hold it against your arch edge and measure how much gap you have to the facing tyre wall or alloy whichever protrudes the furthest. that way you know just what will fit and then buy the closest to that size.for the perfect stance or just settle for the generally agreed 7mm and 15mm as the ideal but possibly not perfect option . :grin: welcome to the headache thats modding your car :grin: :thumb:

Attachments

• _mg_1654_copy_zpsvptmiwpp_1_553.jpg
    _mg_1654_copy_zpsvptmiwpp_1_553.jpg
    180.7 KB · Views: 2,922
  • 13259480_1722166521370922_426280912_n_248.jpg
    13259480_1722166521370922_426280912_n_248.jpg
    199.8 KB · Views: 2,922
  • car_a1_142.jpg
    car_a1_142.jpg
    166.4 KB · Views: 2,922
  • 26357730_1758799674190865_1875228505784975360_n_212.jpg
    26357730_1758799674190865_1875228505784975360_n_212.jpg
    113.2 KB · Views: 2,922
  • img_1814_406.jpg
    img_1814_406.jpg
    107.8 KB · Views: 2,922
  • img_2466_207.jpg
    img_2466_207.jpg
    170 KB · Views: 2,922
Milo72, as requested here's pics of my car. The wheels are standard factory Classics (the front is 8 inches, ET 57, 15 mm spacer, factory alignment). The tyre is bang on flush with the arch. With the 7 mm spacer it was tucked in a little bit.
Phil's right, there's a wee bit of "suck it and see" involved and as MaxA points out, there's several variables involved. Anyway, hope it helps.

Attachments

• front_right_stance_resized_148.jpg
    front_right_stance_resized_148.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 2,900
  • left_side_stance_resized_125.jpg
    left_side_stance_resized_125.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 2,900
  • right_side_stance_resized_652.jpg
    right_side_stance_resized_652.jpg
    608.2 KB · Views: 2,900
Milo heres a perfect example of what we are saying have a look at my second pic down compare the tyre side profile with COB pics of his sidewalls his tyres are more protruding and have a quite big rim protector look at mine the sidewall is a lot more curved to the extent that the alloy seems to stick out more flush with the tyre, yet both will be 235 tyres, its a very good comparison of what we have been discussing :thumb: :thumb:

Thank you all for the photos and advice... you have some amazing cars there guys. I'm only 10 days into Porsche ownership and originally thought I would leave the car fairly stock but being on here a week and seeing your cars I have changed my mind..

Really appreciate you taking the time to help a newbie out.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SondeMadiu
Back