Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Front shock bolt/ARB link, am I missing something???

Grey996

Nurburgring
I can't get this to budge at all on either side. Guides just say 'remove bolt'.
I've removed the nut and trying turning the nut on the ball joint as well as the big hammer but it's not moving at all.

Am I missing a trick or do I need a bigger hammer?!

Thanks

Attachments

• img_3067_115.jpg
    img_3067_115.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 1,499
  • img_3068_194.jpg
    img_3068_194.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 1,499
Yep a bigger hammer :thumb:

I ran out of swear words with my n/s and ended up drilling out the bolt :frustrated:

Thanks,

I've heated it and whacked hell out of it but still nothing. I'll take the whole carrier off so I can get a bit more of a swing as I'm not looking forward to having to drill it out!

The ball joint end of the link rod has a nut on it .. forget trying a spanner on it ..

What i do at work is cut off the head of the ball joint so i can get a socket on the nut .. then the biggest air gun i can find and work it back and forwards trying to loosen it.

If its properly seized then no hammer in the world will get it loose im afraid .. trust me ive tryed .

Worst way .. take the whole lot to your local garage and get them to gun it off.

As others have said, am afraid if its really stuck in there, then it will probably need to be drilled out.

I used the tactic Demort mentioned. With the whole carrier removed from the car, I had my impact wrench on the ball-joint side (my deep sockets will go over the ball, with the rest of the drop-link ripped off the ball). Then hammered on the nut, also lightly heating the wheel carrier (you need 3 hands!). It worked on one side, unfortunately the other side had to be drilled out (which is very tedious)......

Good luck.....

Thanks chaps, nice idea about cutting the ball off to get a socket on. I've got an impact gun so fingers crossed!

Its a rubbish job. Sorry couple more tactics.
1) Keep the nut on the threaded side, so you dont 'mushroom' the head, when you are hammering on it. if it mushrooms, thn you have to cut it off - which is more agro...
2) If you can get the impact wrench on the ball-side, you may want to try an sds drill in rotary-stop mode on the other (thread) side. Thats how I got one of mine moving. (I had the nut just on the thread, so it created a dip, that I could sit an sds-drill bit in).

Success!

That was a job though, the cutting tip worked wonders and after running the impact wrench for what seems like ages it finally started to turn. More heat and drafting a mate in to whack it while I was on the driver got it moving and it finally came out, same for each side.

Getting the actually shock out was fun too but it finally yielded with several whacks.

Thanks for your help much appreciated. I just to buy all the new parts to build it back up!!

I have to admit i do love this forum .. the combined wealth of knowledge here is simply amazeing .. i do sometimes think that any one who can hold a spanner with the advise from here can do anything.

:thumb:

Agreed, I'm no mechanic but I'll always have a go and its great for help when I get stuck.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Spider69
Back