Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

The Warranty Renewal Conundrum

Gottans

Well it is warranty renewal time so I would appreciate the wisdom of the forum.

The car is a 2010 997.2 C4S with 41k on the clock, current known issues are both front top mounts have split rubbers, front diff has slight weeping from one driveshaft seal and front tyres below recommended 3mm tread.

111 point check is £216 inc. VAT
Warranty is £1020 for 12 months or £1840 for 24 months.

Front Top Mounts are £431 per side so £862.
Two front tyres £160 each so £320.

Assuming they don't identify any other issues so the warranty renewal cost is £2202 for 12 months or £3022 for 24 months.

I have booked the car in for the 111 point check to see if there any problems and hopefully covered by the existing warranty. Assuming they don't find anything else is it worth continuing with the official warranty?

I am little concerned about the front diff oil leak as it could be the seals or bearings, top mounts seem to be consumable items, as for the tyres I know these need to be N rated but so long as they are legal is that enough?

Would appreciate peoples views as the porsche piggy bank is looking a bit thread bare.

Thanks
Pete

Get any work done covered under warranty. Get a good indy to do the rest and bank the difference. You can use aftermarket parts, better battery etc etc.
My OE front top mounts were around £132 ex VAT and plus fitting at Centre Gravity. That leaves a lot for about to fit.
Good-bye dealer :)

You'll be pleased to note that top mounts are under warranty, I know this as my guy at OPC advised me of it not more than 4hrs ago when having discussions around what is and isn't covered by warranty.

Warranty every time for me, 8 year old car with plus 40k on the clock :thumb:

FZP said:
You'll be pleased to note that top mounts are under warranty, I know this as my guy at OPC advised me of it not more than 4hrs ago when having discussions around what is and isn't covered by warranty.

That is good news, wonder why I was advised it was not covered by warranty and chargeable? Is there any document I can wave under their noses to prove this?

spongebob squarepants said:
Warranty every time for me, 8 year old car with plus 40k on the clock :thumb:
+1 :thumb:
When things go wrong, the bills can be phenomenal. :nooo:
OPC warranty gives a safety net which gives peace of mind. :lol:

Im afraid these days Porsche apply wear and tear to items so anything "rubber bushed " could well fall into this area .. different OPC,s do allow / not allow warrenty on items .

Wear and tear .. basically something that has worn out through age or damage rather than a mechanical or material defect .. top mounts at this age imho are wear and tear .

If the diff leak is bad enough then thats warrenty .. i suspect its just damp so it wouldn,t be .. bearings would be covered but if no play then its not them .. its just an old seal .

Over all .. you are pretty much into only the major items being covered at this age .. so engine , box .. diff etc.

Your options are a slush fund and use indys from now on .. i happen to think highly of indys :D

Or a warrenty .. pay Porsches prices and have peace of mind.

if it was me .. i would have a porsche warrenty as long as i could just in case.

Gottans said:
FZP said:

That is good news, wonder why I was advised it was not covered by warranty and chargeable? Is there any document I can wave under their noses to prove this?
Sorry mate. It was a discussion around a paint issue I've got which he's sent off for approval to Germany. We started talking about connected items where one is and one isn't.
As for your original question I'd say get the warranty as I'm sure things will start to go wrong from here on in given age and mileage.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
race911turbo
Back