Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Koni TA Sport shocks

coullstar

Just looking for any feedback on these shocks. Ive had them on other cars and found them to be good but cant find anything specifically for 996 application feedback.

I would be combining with either H&R or Eibach springs. I have a £1000 limit on what I can spend on suspension and TBH don't want to go cheaper coilovers route.

I can get a Koni TA sport kit + H&R springs for my budget.

Car is fast road use, predominantly on fairly bumpy A & B roads.

I can't say yet as they aren't fitted, but mine have just been delivered... Koni Sport kit with H&R -30mm springs.

Bought the kit on Ebay from a German seller - just under £1k delivered.

I wanted my car lower, but didn't want to ruin ride quality, and the various owner comments I read said they can be anything from quite soft, to very hard.

Really looking forward to getting them fitted as my current shocks have 170k miles on them, and although the front still feels OK, the rear feels quite 'uncomfortable' over bumps at speed.

Soon as my Indy confirm a date... I would hope in the next few weeks (they are notoriously busy!).

What other options are you looking at?

I considered...

MO30... but wanted the car lower than -10mm.
Straight replacements... but works out more expensive once I'd bought springs.
Koni FSDs... mixed feedback on whether they would be OK with lowering springs
Coilovers... anything quality costs at least double the Koni kit, and I don't trust the cheap far east stuff for the mileage I do.

Could only find a bit of info on 996 fitment, but Koni's do get good feedback on other cars. Quality is decent too.

Pretty much that's where Im at. I have M030 at the moment but would like to go a little lower and good opportunity to get some new shocks.

Ive used Koni TA on cars in the past and I do like their road manners/damping. The damping adjustment also does help to an extent but I know its fairly limited.
Actually thinking about it the adjustment is usually top end and I haven't looked into accessibility when on the car, are the top of the struts easily accessible?

FSD's ruled out due to drop. Bistiens would be B6 or better but Id like to try Koni. Also the H&R cup kit but from memory there normally quite a hard ride.

The Koni's are externally adjustable on the car.

They come with a knob that goes on the top of the damper. Fronts are accessible if you remove the plastic cover from the front 'trunk. Not sure about the rears.

I think they only have 3 settings.

Just picked mine up from our goods-in and had a quick look at them... they aren't Ohlins sexy, but they do look nice!

Yes, there's something in the box that looks like instructions. I'll have a look at it when I get out of work and let you know... I can scan it here at work if necessary.

Just one experience I've had with Koni FSDs...

They came as standard on my wife's Abarth and both rears were leaking by 5000 miles. Replaced under warranty but that's pretty bad.

On the other hand is it a case of Abarth saying to Koni "We want your dampers for our cars but for 'X' amount of Euros, hence Koni say "ok" but then go on to supply Abarth a watered down version??

Who knows but I'd personally avoid them after that. The Abarth isn't a heavy car and my wife just pootles around in hers.

Totally bud, just thought I'd mention it.

I'd probably still choose Koni over a lot of the other options, such as cheapie coilovers etc. :thumb:

Eibach springs -30mm, 'Engineered and tested to work perfectly with stock dampers' so Eibach say, does that bring the FSD/Special Active dampers back into consideration ?

Had a look at the 'instructions' last night (they are very limited!). Shocks are adjustable via a knob on the top of the strut. Range of rotation is 720* from full soft to full hard, and there are no clicks, so infinitely adjustable.

jezgreen911 said:
Eibach springs -30mm, 'Engineered and tested to work perfectly with stock dampers' so Eibach say, does that bring the FSD/Special Active dampers back into consideration ?

Not sure how that works... a -30mm spring will make the damper work more in to its range than a standard height spring.

Mine's booked in for fitting w/c 24th Sept.

If you can wait until they are fitted I'm happy to provide feedback, or meet up and let you have a drive, Coullstar. Where are you based?

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
davey2233
Back