Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Calling all Cab drivers, is it German helmet time yet?

AlanPM

Silverstone
Ok so last year I had the soft top renewed and didn't ever get round to putting the hard top on all winter. Now I am looking forward to the change of look but don't want to go hard prematurely ( ooh er missus!).
What's the consensus ?, thanks in advance.

Hat free is my shout.
I don't currently have a cab but used to enjoy early morning drives when it was fresh when we did. Perhaps Jan 1 - Feb 28?

Usual protocol is clock change weekend.

Yes I think clock change sounds good, nothing worse than soft top envy!

Whilst I really like the look of my 911 with the hardtop on, I am in the same camp as FZP - I put the hood down (and heated seats on) throughout the winter.
Cant imagine the hardtop will go back on the car till the day I sell it (hopefully many years from now).

Think my tin hat will be staying on the tin hat stand this winter.

Yes Alex, what did it for me last year was having had a lovely new uncreased cover put on. I didn't want it creasing all winter. Going by your efforts in DIY with yours I guess you must be thinking similar.

Yes that was one of my reasons. Also, everytime I've 'wore' it in the past it's created some problem or damage along the way......either wearing paint off the A-frame or marking the hood, etc.

Plus I always miss those frosty clear days when you can go topless, don the shades and get the heated seat on.

Think I might buy a silly hat instead.

I don't have a hard top, so its top down all the time in my cab.

I'm the idiot in lane 2 with the bobble hat on.:cop:

Just out of curiosity...

Does the HT improve the structural rigidity of the car?

Possible, although if you put your hand on the seal between a-pillar and roof whilst driving, you can feel the flex in the chassis as the seal is squashed then released.

Ps. I'm the idiot unfertaking in the hard shoulder when muppets block all 3 lanes. :grin:

Hard top stays in the garage as a handy place to hang jackets and bike tubes/tyres. Woolly hat and gloves for really cold crisp, sunny winter days, otherwise aircon at 23 as per manual keeps things toasty enough with the hood up.

Have to confess to never using a hard top on mine either - personally never liked the look with the hard top on , proper faff to use and the lined fabric hood is excellent in my view so why bother with the HT to be honest.

Its always interesting to hear different takes on these Porsches.
Medieval, I agree its too much of a faff (and am nervous of damaging my paintwork, as the car had a respray a year ago) - but I really love the look with the hard-top on. Its like having two different cars. I doubt I will ever put mine on again (the car lives indoors).

I remember reading that you only need the hardtop on two days: the day you buy the car and the day you sell the car........ I suspect that will be true for me.

I have a hard top for my car and never use it. It's sat in my shedtaking up space I don't have. What is a 996 hard top worth?

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Spider69
Back