Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Shiny 993 and a dilemma

ollster

The trusty old 993 picked up a few marks from a mechanic wiping down the rear quarters and front wings to remove grease marks and unfortuantly putting a load of swirls into the paint. Although annoying it was done with the best intensions so rather than stew on it I decided to have it corrected again and add new layer of ceramic coating on the paint (was last done 5 years ago). Very pleased with the result!

B824B286-09D0-4B90-BED7-2551EDE4A750_zpsuv00vak8.jpg

9B4B2962-61A0-4576-9A01-E1089E96CE47_zpso4qyhunt.jpg

25A6C927-D65F-4DB1-B391-03A99750343F_zpscgk1avtl.jpg

8B2191DC-C875-447F-B5D8-59F31E5710EC_zps9bdgz89n.jpg

Onto the dilemma, it's fair to say I still love the car but for the first time in 9 years I'm seriously considering selling due to the lure of a 996/997.1 gt3. Can anyone talk me out of or into this madness? Is it's possible to have fun with a gt3 on the road without getting arrested!?

That looks absolutely fantastic. So much gloss. :thumbs:

I saw it on JW's Instagram. Hopefully it will feature in one of his videos.

A GT3 is probably the only water cooled 911 I'd even consider switching to. Only you know how badly your itch needs scratching. If you don't like it you can always switch back to a 993 again. Seeing that final picture would make it hard for me to change to something with a wing on the back. I think I'd always choose looks over performance, but I'm probably in a small minority there.

If it's mostly for road use, I have read that the 996 is quite uncompromising and possibly a bit harsh on the road but I'm sure there will be somebody along soon who actually knows what they're talking about who will be able to give you some proper insight. Good luck with your dilemma.

Your car looks fantastic. I would just stick with it if I was you.

I'd keep the 993 :thumb:

I sold a 996 GT3 to get 993.. :eek: and then spent £££ making my 993 into a lightweight.. I only miss the GT3 when I see one..If I could afford it, I would have both. 993 is last of aircooled and totally different, in every way to GT3, its smaller, lighter..

On the road the GT3 was so stiff (I like that) and bumpy roads were not nice, when you wind up revs you could easily get into trouble, just sounds so good you tend to drive faster, serious quick. I can honestly say it felt dangerous because it was so fast and so easy to get going.. like the car wanted you to keep pushing.. :?:

I just wish I took it on track before I sold it as I KNOW it would be so solid and so much fun.

Thanks for all the comments, it's nice to hear from someone who has owned a gt car and gone the other way.

The car is pretty sorted with a new mo33 kit, gt2 evo inner tie rods, super pro front wishbones bushes, lsd and a lot more. I was intending to do a second suspension refresh this winter to make it more focussed including pss10's, solid rear suss carrier mounts, rs bushes etc etc, but still keep it looking like a standard c2. That's when the man maths calculator came out and I started thinking about selling the 993 and using the upgrade pot to put towards a gt3.

The thing that concerns me is if I find the gt3 to much for the road I know how difficult it would be to find an air cooled car that's properly sorted and not just had yearly maintenance and put on the market for £50k+.

I bet when you drive the GT3 you will want one, you need to rev them up to get it going but when it does its so good..different power delivery to the aircooled. its totally different feel, GT3 feels big on the road.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Silage
Back