Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Early PDKs - How long do they last ?

Ratattak

Spa-Francorchamps
I have a 2009 997.2 C2S with PDK and was wondering if anyone has knowledge of expensive transmission failure in the early iterations at high mileages

Hi Ratatak - whilst non of us can guess epidemiology of machinery as complex as the pdk box I have just bought a 2011 gen II boxster with pdk & sports chrono (and diff lock, which may put extra forces on the box) on the grounds that a mate of mine who works as a tech at an Indy assures me that they (so far) appear to be solid and reliable. This is with a background of and in spite of my having clutch pack and software issues with a juddering Golf GTD with VW double clutch manual g/box (2008 car). I also met a chap before deciding on the pdk who designs g/boxes for Jag/Landrover who has a 2013 918 Boxster with pdk & Sports Chrono, he attended a gearbox conference where Boxsters (not sure if they were earlier or later models though) with pdk & launch control were used to demonstrate the strength of these boxes - repeated launch starts and use in sport+ setting (gear change is so quick you'll know each selected gear 'thumps' in) demonstrating strength... apparently the box should perform as many launch starts as you may wish without detriment (hmmmm)

Plus no replacement clutches needed!!

My indy tells me that they haven't seen any issues with the PDK and haven't replaced any clutches on a PDK. I continue to live in hope.

I tend only to drive in Sports+ on the track, as the 7200rpm gearchange is pretty brutal and you tend to arrive in the pit with a distinct smell of clutch.

In terms of mechanical sympathy, it is probably better to use the manual change and change a bit earlier...

Other than a few sensors, any gearbox work is a replacement as Porsche don't work on them. Haven't seen any TP companies or ZF outfits repairing them either (UK).

I've seen the odd box replaced, but nothing linked to miles covered. Mine had a leak and I replaced it at about 60k miles.

The clutch is a wet item and seems to hold up ok. I think there is an Aussie company that can upgrade it.

One of the things with the PDK box that came up in a conversation recently was the changing of fluids. One of the members on here had his PDK oil changed and sent the old fluid away for analysis, it came back as being well out of spec, so it would appear that like all mechanical items regular servicing is key to longevity.
I really can't fault my box in any way, it was such a leap forward over the old auto tip box that you can't even compare the two. Saying that the tip boxes are a very solid reliable item and I've heard that people have run them at up to a 1000 bhp with no problems.

More frequent fluid changes will help for sure.

There have been failures and since there is no serviceable parts in the box Porsche only solution is to offer replacement PDK transmission.

After investment and research, we will be able in the near future offer full repairs on these boxes and enable them to be serviceable. We will make an official announcement on that in due course. Clearly there will be a big market for this in the future, hence why we have been working on a cost effective solution.

Ken

996ttalot said:
More frequent fluid changes will help for sure.

There have been failures and since there is no serviceable parts in the box Porsche only solution is to offer replacement PDK transmission.

After investment and research, we will be able in the near future offer full repairs on these boxes and enable them to be serviceable. We will make an official announcement on that in due course. Clearly there will be a big market for this in the future, hence why we have been working on a cost effective solution.

Ken

Good advice, and a great development for the community! Excellent news.

easternjets said:
One of the things with the PDK box that came up in a conversation recently was the changing of fluids. One of the members on here had his PDK oil changed and sent the old fluid away for analysis, it came back as being well out of spec, so it would appear that like all mechanical items regular servicing is key to longevity.
I really can't fault my box in any way, it was such a leap forward over the old auto tip box that you can't even compare the two. Saying that the tip boxes are a very solid reliable item and I've heard that people have run them at up to a 1000 bhp with no problems.

Sent the old fluid away for analysis?? Hell fire, is this a car we are talking about ??
Whilst I am on replacing fluids regularly (before they are due) - how can this be a benefit? Surely the action of actually changing the fluid carries more risk than the not-ready-for-disposal fluid offers to the mechanics??

doulas bader said:
easternjets said:

Sent the old fluid away for analysis?? Hell fire, is this a car we are talking about ??
Whilst I am on replacing fluids regularly (before they are due) - how can this be a benefit? Surely the action of actually changing the fluid carries more risk than the not-ready-for-disposal fluid offers to the mechanics??

I would comment on your reply if I understood what you were talking about, it makes no sense. Are you advocating NOT changing the fluids as they are a risk to the mechanics? Are you saying that if you have a fault in a gearbox, that you would NOT have the fluid tested to see if it was the root cause of a problem, instead you would have the gearbox replaced maybe?

Question: when we talk about replacing the fluid, are we referring to the clutch fluid (Porsche say every 6 years on my 2011 car) which is some sort of ATF?
Or are we referring to the 12-yearly gearbox fluid change which I believe is just normal 75W-90 gear oil?

Counter Of Beans said:
Question: when we talk about replacing the fluid, are we referring to the clutch fluid (Porsche say every 6 years on my 2011 car) which is some sort of ATF?
Or are we referring to the 12-yearly gearbox fluid change which I believe is just normal 75W-90 gear oil?

In our opinion the gearbox fluid at 12 years can stay at that - it is manual gearbox in terms of gears etc so no reason to treat any different. Certainly we would recommend changing before 100k mileage however.

However the clutch fluid ( due at 6 years ) is the one that is more likely to degrade - think of it as a wet clutch that is taking the strain like a manual clutch. If you are tracking the car, or generally driving in a spirited fashion all the time then our view is to change more frequently.

Regarding the comment that it can do more harm than good that opinion had some merit with tiptronic boxes but not PDK in our opinion. PDK is more like a normal manual box so frequency of changes will not do harm.

Ken

My V.W. Touareg which has the DSG box has recommended service intervals of 40k miles with a filter change as well. I know they are not the same boxes, i.e. manufacturer but the principle of how they work is the same, manual with wet clutch.

One of their reasons for changing the oil is:

1. Saves on costly gearbox repairs

2. Improves your car's performance

3. Keeps your warranty valid for any repairs to parts related to the gearbox

This sophisticated piece of engineering needs regular oil changes. The smooth two-clutch system is computer-controlled with very fine engineering tolerances. If the gearbox oil is dirty it will damage the other parts and affect the performance.

At the Porsche day at Croft the other week I think three cars were transported away from the circuit with gearbox faults. One driver phoned OPC Teesside and was told 'do not drive the car anymore, we'll collect it on a transporter'. This was a 1 yr old GT 3

easternjets said:
doulas bader said:
easternjets said:

I would comment on your reply if I understood what you were talking about, it makes no sense. Are you advocating NOT changing the fluids as they are a risk to the mechanics? Are you saying that if you have a fault in a gearbox, that you would NOT have the fluid tested to see if it was the root cause of a problem, instead you would have the gearbox replaced maybe?

sorry my reply was hard to follow, I was surprised that someone would send away fluid for analysis (apart from Porsche who may want to check spec before agreeing to warranty work), and what I meant about changing fluid earlier than needed was that any service work on a car carries risk of damage or adding a part/fluid that for some reason fails - small risk I know but has to be greater than fluid failing before its service life

Would the clutch fluid be changed as a matter of course with the car having OPC service history, or does it have to be requested ?

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lb456
Back