Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

BMW Driving day experience v my 997.2

cliffbase

Monza
Just got back from a wonderful day at Bedford Autodrome. The BMW Driving Experience.

Started of in M2's getting to know (one of 4) Circuit. Great fun & got faster & faster. Then swapped into M5's, same thing again. Clearly more powerful than the go-kartesk M2, but much much heavier - fantastic fun. Only downside i found with the M5 was that if you red-line it to the limit there is a huge pause of death before the next gearchange (in manual mode & despite pulling the paddle like a madman) this can cause some unbalancing if, like me, it happened exiting a corner. - To be fair ive never done that in my car (because its mine!) but wouldn't expect it to have such a pronounced "lul".

From there into competition m4's for hot laps, 4 or 5 circuits with an instructor, all the data (& great video of you driving/the view from the front of the car) logged and then assessed with your instructor, then out again for a similar time to try to improve & get faster - Thats when i had it sideways twice!!

From there over to a drift area, M4's fitted with nylon type over tyres so they lost traction very easily, dounuts & figures of 8.
Then on to a timed slalom event, again in an M4, through the slalom, U turn then flat out trying to stop in a coned area.

Then some laps driving the M4CS before a few laps driving the i8, finally a whip round in a race prepped 235 with race driver (nuts!!).

All in all a fantastic day and i thoroughly recommend it, we were very very well looked after & catered for fantastically. They also gave us a USB wristband that had all our recordings on it.

But......i got in my C4s to drive home and can honestly say i wouldn't swap it for anything i drove today, M2, M4, M5 or i8.
Personally i was looking forward to giving the i8 some beans & was really disappointed with how it went, yes its fast but nowhere near my car in my opinion.

So for me, the best car at the event was the one i drove home - that makes me very very happy! It immediately felt, more well balanced, lighter, faster & more responsive.

If you get the chance, get yourself on it - its always great to thrash the life out of someone elses car & shred their tyres, the guys were great & at no point were we encouraged to go easy

:thumb: :D

Whatever the end result, that sounds like a fantastic day out!!!!

Mike Tyson v Frank Bruno simples

Which 997.2 do you own.

I've owned an M5 and an M3 Competition Pack and they certainly make anything less than a 997.2 turbo feel pedestrian. Also in manual mode the M4 competition pack changes gear far quicker than the 997.2 PDK gearbox, however it does have 3 different settings,

However the 997.2 turbo feels a lot quicker than any current M car.

As stated C4s.

Sorry but i disagree, even with the fastest shift change selected mine feels quicker.

They were all lovely cars, dont get me wrong, im not slagging them off in anyway, ive had my share of BM's, 330, M3 (x2) X5 & most recently my 335 msport x-drive - a great car.

I think much of the difference, for me, is the weight of the cars & guess getting out of an M2 & into the M5 was a massive hike in weight. This for me felt very heavy.

Obviously an M5 & a 911 are very different cars, the rear doors & seats on the M5 were much better than mine :floor:

cliffbase said:
the rear doors & seats on the M5 were much better than mine :floor:

:floor: :floor: :floor: :floor:

Problem I have with cars like BMW etc are they are very bland inside and other than going fast theres no event of specialness about driving one just another run of the mill fast engined bland eurobox. this is I think why you see them getting hooned everywhere because theres nothing else fun about the car other than to drive it fast . whereas a 911 is special at any speed even parked :grin: :grin:

Totally agree Phil, I've had nice Mercs, Bmws and a Bentley GT and loved them all but none of them would I consider to be "iconic" in the way that the 997 is, there is just something about the shape, heritage and drive that surpasses most other cars.

My friend Terry Hilton – an Australian race driver - explained it to me in terms that even I could understand. The key difference between a sports car and a saloon car, or a coupe, or even a hatchback, whatever the engine or configuration, is the driver's hip height: in a sports car you sit very low, between the wheels. This affects the balance of the car and the way the car goes around corners. This is the reason that 911s, 944s and other sports cars simply feel right: they have better body control, compared to the cars that have all the masses (engine, gearbox, driver) much higher up.

Having just come out of two much loved M cars back into a 911 I couldn't agree more
MaxA said:
My friend Terry Hilton – an Australian race driver - explained it to me in terms that even I could understand. The key difference between a sports car and a saloon car, or a coupe, or even a hatchback, whatever the engine or configuration, is the driver's hip height: in a sports car you sit very low, between the wheels. This affects the balance of the car and the way the car goes around corners. This is the reason that 911s, 944s and other sports cars simply feel right: they have better body control, compared to the cars that have all the masses (engine, gearbox, driver) much higher up.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
briant1000
Back