Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

cleaning dust and rust from drilled discs?

searider

Silverstone
Is there a special tool for cleaning the dirt and crap that accumulates in the holes in drilled discs?

Or is it simply a case of using a suitably sized drill?

Thanks

Duncan

Suitably sized drill.

Cheers :thumbs:

Apparently using the Hoover so that it belches black dust out the next time it's turned on in the living room ain't acceptable.... :frustrated: :hand: :thewife:

The crud build up is more than just dust, it sets like concrete and only a drill will get it all out. Most discs have a outside hole opposite the inside hole making life easier by letting you drill through both at the same time but I have had some discs that have been slightly offset and that made the job a lot harder.

I always drill mine out before venturing off on a road trip, you need the brakes to be at their best for Alpine passes.

Before I changed to slotted Girodiscs I cleaned out the holes after every track day using a suitable size screw, so it didn't need much effort to remove dust.

I've seen some use a power washer but I guess that would leave some to really harden on your next drive.

Running a drill through all the holes is by far the best solution........unless you have access to an etching plant :grin:

alex yates said:
Running a drill through all the holes is by far the best solution.

Agreed. If you use the drill bit manually, you'll be fine, however if you use an electric drill (much quicker), set the drill bit length so that you don't drill into the back plate.

:grin:

Advice about blocked disc vent holes please.

I did a track evening at Snetterton in my gen2 996 last week. Car performed powerwise great, but after the initial laps I noticed under hard braking a feel of judder through the brake pedal and car. Came into the paddock to take a quick look around, everything looked fine, admittedly everything very hot, let the car cool for a while and then went out again, first couple of warm up laps fine and then when I pushed on a bit the same thing into hard braking areas, this was pretty unpleasant and a bit worrying. I left it for a good 20 mins to cool down and went out one last time and same issue, basically could do 2 hot laps before the judder returned.
The discs are not warped as they fine on normal driving, braking etc.
On close inspection the following morning, the cross drilled holes that I can see are 90% blocked with dust/crud, is it possible this was the cause of the brake performance drop off, I have read several forums with technical explanations about gas build up on disc face at pad/disc interface etc etc.
I no track day monster and probably only do a couple a year, as unlike when I used to have a track focused Clio 200 and it loved to be abused, I don't feel the same desire to rag the heck out of the 996. But when I do drive a few laps I want to know it going to be a relatively safe event.
99.9% of my driving is on road so don't want to go all track focused on the brake setup, but would there be a pad that would take into account the odd track excursion that would not compromise my normal road driving, don't want to be squealing to a stop when driving normally!
Advice/observations would be greatly appreciated.

I've just bought a Big Boi blower from Ultimate Finish in Kent. Took it out of the box and noticed it came with a small nozzle adaptor, so put it on max speed and tried it on the discs, success!! It blew all of the crud clean out of the holes but showered me in clouds of brake dust at the same time :grin:

The discs were bone dry, I doubt this would happen if they were wet. The blower is 3kw, so close to 4 hp, and is intended to be a car dryer. I was staggered that it cleaned the disc holes out. It also blew a ton of crud out of my radiator vents, so happy days.

I remember some years ago when I used to read up on the technical way cars work, IIRC there is a very thin build up of gasses between the pad and the disc, similar to when driving in the heavy rain, the whole tread is never in full contact with the tarmac.

The drilled vent holes allow the pad to fully press on the disc and the gas to vent where non drilled don't. I always check the holes before a track day or high alpine road trip as this will stop brake fade and keep the brakes cooler.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Spider69
Back