Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Passenger side sill?

H0ME

Trainee
I've never noticed this before and maybe it's just the trim coming up but it will not seem to go back. Possibly all needs to come off and be refit? Any thoughts on what this lump is or how all the trim comes off to see what's underneath? Does this just pull off? Help appreciated.

1996 C2

Attachments

• 786be02a_a1ff_4716_b54f_cb62807d3428_135.jpeg
    786be02a_a1ff_4716_b54f_cb62807d3428_135.jpeg
    109.1 KB · Views: 2,243
I'm pretty sure there are a couple of square holes along there with covers which may rust and swell so I'd say you need to get this off and take a closer look.

However, I might be completely wrong - but I'm sure I've seen this mentioned before, and I did see see these on the pictures of my car during the refurb (I think....)

Anyone else know?

Edit update: I've just found some pictures from the refurb, and there is a hole about where yours is lifting. Can't attach the picture though, as I'm away and using a stupid iPad ......... :frustrated:

There is definitely a small hole in the upper surface of the sill which is closed by an appropriately-sized steel plate. The steel plates tend to rust but are only held in with sealant and can easily be removed and cleaned up.

Fortunately, it looks a lot worse from "outside" than it does when you actually get to it.

You will need some double-sided tape to stick the plastic sill cover down again securely.

9xxnick said:
There is definitely a small hole in the upper surface of the sill which is closed by an appropriately-sized steel plate. The steel plates tend to rust but are only held in with sealant and can easily be removed and cleaned up.

Fortunately, it looks a lot worse from "outside" than it does when you actually get to it.

You will need some double-sided tape to stick the plastic sill cover down again securely.

So do I just pull the trim up and it will come free? Attempted this earlier but seemed held.

Warm with hairdryer to release, I think they have some good old double sided foam tape under there.
:thumbs:

To be honest its a job I haven't got round to yet :oops: I also need to do the drivers side door seal and was going to do both jobs at once but have been struggling to find a replacement seal that didn't require a re-mortgage!

My intension it to remove the metal plate and bond in a bit of carbon sheet when I have figured out the thickness to stop future problems.

Jonittt has a good write up of how to deal with this on his 993 journal under the heading of Stainless Sill replacement..

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ansonslchang
Back