Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Stripped Locking Wheel Nut - Options

ColinC

Suzuka
On the way to work yesterday noticed a rubbing sound from the right rear - sounded like the backing plate rubbing against the disc......tried to take the wheel off last night to have a look and the locking nut wont slacken - the key just slips off the nut. It tightens and fits fine on all the other wheels so can only assume brute force and ignorance has stripped the nut.

I see my options as:

1. Take it to a garage - not ideal as not at home so unknown entity
2. Use an impact wrench - brute force and ignorance again
3. Bond the key to the bolt with glue and hope it grips enough to get it off

I do have a spare locking key at home and bolts which I can get posted up so if I destroy the original I have a replacement......any thoughts?

Where about's are you? someone maybe able to suggest a good local tyre fitters?

Tighten the other 4 up as tight as you can - this relieves pressure off that one. Give it a good few whacks with a hammer to break any seal. Good dose of wd40 on and soak for half hour then try again.

Failing that, I've done a homemade locking key with a socket and some steel dowel pins.

Other option is just drill the head off.

What i have done in the past is to find an impact socket which you can hammer onto the wheel nut, then use a bar to undo it as you would normally do.

You could probably use an ordinary socket, but impact ones are usually heavier duty.

rabbitstew said:
What i have done in the past is to find an impact socket which you can hammer onto the wheel nut, then use a bar to undo it as you would normally do.

You could probably use an ordinary socket, but impact ones are usually heavier duty.

Yes - I've seen that done, too. In fact, only the other week I was asking if there is any point using locking nuts as everyone who might wish to steal the wheels knows how to do that...

Most cars have tilt sensors on the alarm anyway. Nothing but a PITA!

Thanks for the input Chaps :thumbs:

I'm up in sunny Peterhead and have been advised of some local guys who could help but I've decided to purchase a whole new set of locking wheel nuts, my logic being if one of the nuts is turning to cheese the rest probably wont be far behind........£43.50 from Porsche Aberdeen which I'll pick up on my way home......as for the problem nut, 'chapping' on an under size impact socket sounds fun - will let you know how it goes :dont know:

Of course if I get a puncture on the way home or the rubbing noise turns out to be something more serious that's a whole different thread......

I had one of the original locking wheel nuts on my 993 and managed to split the locking nut (they are very soft metal). I tried impact wrench etc but nothing would get it off. In the end I got Unit 11 to remove it when it went in for a service. They had to weld an old socket to it to remove it, jsut takes some old fashioned garage skill ;-)

Jontt

Yup - had to do that in the past with a Volvo SUV we had - when some gorilla tyrefitters over-tightened one bolt - only option was to weld on a hex bar and then use a huge spanner to get it off - I then took out all the other locking wheel nuts and replaced with normal bolts -

These wheel nuts are aluminium, (some say they are made of cheese) so if it's stripped, is it just turning and not coming off or is it seized? I messed up one of my locking wheel nuts by not using the cars wheel brace. I was in a hurry and broke off the top as you can see in the picture by using a socket and 1/2" power bar and not having it square to the wheel. The socket which was attached to an extension was longer than the end on the wheel brace and twisted out of alignment and off went the top of the nut. It should be quite easy for you too to snap off the top and then get a better look at the nut and as some have said bash a socket over it and use a good power bar to undo it.

Good luck.

ATB :)

Attachments

• wheel_nut_153.jpg
    wheel_nut_153.jpg
    51.7 KB · Views: 3,774
jonttt said:
I had one of the original locking wheel nuts on my 993 and managed to split the locking nut (they are very soft metal). I tried impact wrench etc but nothing would get it off. In the end I got Unit 11 to remove it when it went in for a service. They had to weld an old socket to it to remove it, jsut takes some old fashioned garage skill ;-)

I thought these cars were 'hewn from granite' :dont know:

decgraham said:
These wheel nuts are aluminium, (some say they are made of cheese) so if it's stripped, is it just turning and not coming off or is it seized? I messed up one of my locking wheel nuts by not using the cars wheel brace. I was in a hurry and broke off the top as you can see in the picture by using a socket and 1/2" power bar and not having it square to the wheel. The socket which was attached to an extension was longer than the end on the wheel brace and twisted out of alignment and off went the top of the nut. It should be quite easy for you too to snap off the top and then get a better look at the nut and as some have said bash a socket over it and use a good power bar to undo it.

Good luck.

ATB :)

Its not seized and I can tighten the nut with the key its simply that the key is slipping on the nut when I try and slacken - can only assume some of the indents on the nut have rounded. The key removes the other three nuts no probs.........either chapping on a socket or an extractor should do it - hopefully !

I find the alignment is critical and use an electric impact wrench so you can keep the key aligned correctly and under pressure. A 4 way wheel brace may also help.

Just my thought but best of luck.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
b8n8tai
Back