Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Vaseline tin

Delanor

Nurburgring
Has anyone fitted the Vaseline tin lid modification to cancel the Hemholtz resonator? :eh!:

Del.

Have heard that works

I took the resonator box out then used a Peugeot centre cap sprayed black to plug the hole and then mastic on

Needs to be bit wider if you take out resonator

I'm gonna do a run of Aluminium ones when I get chance. As seen in the photo below:

7cbv1by.jpg

Oh not the subject I was expecting :oops: sorry carry on.... :what:

I discovered that a Vaseline tin lid is a perfect fit on the air box hose connection then the hose will fit perfectly on to that, I left the resonator box in situ.

Del.

Delanor said:
I left the resonator box in situ.

Del.

One of the main benefits of this mod is removing the resonator box as this blocks a large amount of the air flow through the air filter. Once removed you get a far greater area across the filter for air to flow through. Leaving it in situ sort of defeats the object.

To quote GT4: Removal of the HHR from inside the top of airbox allows clean airflow across the full filter surface (upto 1/3rd of the filter surface is restricted or turbulent with HHR in place) and liberates between 0.5L and 0.75L of post-filter air.

See GT4's photos in the link Terry posted to see the gain in area by removing the box:

Before:

airbox_lid_173.jpg

After:

hhr_removed_195.jpg
[/b]

This is probably a silly question, but...

What is the point of the resonator? There must be an advantage to have it for Porsche to sacrifice better airflow through the filter? Unless the pay-off isn't that great?

inquisitive mind :D

Noise. They added it to make it quieter, hence removing it makes the car sound louder.

Alex is spot on. More air flow if you remove the resonator box.

Done it on mine and it seems to help a little

So if you block off the resonator with vaeeline lid using the oem piping you get more noise and maybe better pick up and colder air.

Remove the resonator box and block off plus use silicone hose you get more air flow and more noise.

Your call really OP. Putting the vaseline lid over the hole in the air box is a free mod

Apart from the noise increase I can't see it doing much else. I blocked the aperture in the original hose by making a tube out the cover of a rotary CD storage spindle. Super smooth down the middle of the hose then.....then went to the proper silicone hose.

Just read the GT4 in FAQ and answered my own question

What happens if you remove the resonator and leave the pipes factory - or does is the resonator part of the pipe end. No car with me to check, so apologies if the answer is obvios

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WilmslowSi
Back