Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

C4S Oil Pressure

Pageeey

Hi all,
New here - I'm sure there's a thread somewhere already but haven't found it...

My C4S seems to be running high oil pressure compared to what I read before and what my mates 3.4 c2 runs at...

Once warm it idles at 2.5, seems to cruise between 3.5 and 4.5 depending on speed.. any throttle input and it's at 5...

Seems fine but that all seems about 1.0 mark high in all scenarios... anything to worry about?

Thanks!
Martin

Sounds like you may need a new oil pressure sender. Mine started by reading high then just went stupid.

My 4s is on 34k and oil pressure reads similar to yours, has done for the 3 years I've had it, no worries(prepares to be corrected)

My '98 C2 does the same, sounds about right to me. 5 bar oil pressure above about 1800rpm or so.

The only time it's dropped down to below 2 bar at idle is when it's got exceptionally hot after a long soak in traffic on a very hot day.

Of course, it depends upon what viscosity oil you're using, I'm running Millers 10w50 Nano.

Thanks all, not sure what oil is in it at the moment tbh having just bought it. I'll check the paperwork, but plannng on 0-W40 when I change

Top tip thanks!

Sure enough, reads 0.5 at key positions 2. Stone cold engine off.

New sender then.. or just accept it's a bit up and don't worry...?

As I say, mine started like that at quickly got worse.

It's easy enough to change with a 19mm crows foot on a UJ & extension from below. Just need to take the heat shield off the coil packs and unplug wires from the top. 2 spades of different sizes so although you can't really see them that well they only go back one way.

deMort said:
Ignition on but engine not running , if the gauge reads anything above 0 then the sender unit is faulty and is giveing an over reading.

And now I have another job on the list - reading 1.5 bar with ignition only :roll:

I need to stop reading this forum - I didn't have this problem on my Boxster :wink:

rdodger said:
Sounds like you may need a new oil pressure sender. Mine started by reading high then just went stupid.

Mine did just the same, I would have to stop and switch off to "reset" it. New sender fitted and all sorted.

toobusy said:
rdodger said:

Mine did just the same, I would have to stop and switch off to "reset" it. New sender fitted and all sorted.

When you say 'sender' are you meaning the part in the engine or the component with the wires on top of the engine?

A genuine Porsche one is cheap and its also a very simple job - worth doing just for peace of mind.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stevemias
Back