Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Big miles

Mat138l

Currently on the look out for my first 996 been around aircooled stuff for years. Been looking at a few cars over 100k yes I know that's not a lot as one of my cars has 230k but wanted to know what other owners are pushing these cars mileage wise and yes have seen the big 300k + thread and I love that car. So what's everyone done and what big problems have come up (yes I know the big ims thing and the engine rebuilds). I like the idea of a car that's being used and not just say doing nothing for months. Any way show me what you got :bandit:

130k on mine. Big bills (£600 each) were new clutch and diff. rebuild after all the internal gears ate each other. I've done over 40k in it just over 4 years and it pulls and drives like the day I bought it.

IMS bearing failure is not worth worrying about unless your collecting one with zero miles on and a manufacturing defect bearing.

Edit: beware if you want a 3.6. Potential bore scoring, especially on higher mileage and tiptronics.

Local owner to me has just had his turbo fully resprayed and alloys refurbed for £1600 all in.

Im near 140k. I dont daily drive but my trips are normally 50miles+ at any time. Bought it cheap knowing I had to do some work on the timing chains so budgeted for it.

Doesn't matter what the mileage is one you go over 100k, I personally think. As long as oil changes have been done and its been cared for you're good. (note: this is not the same as 'well maintained', some stamps dont equal love and care!)

I'm on 130k, started using mine as a daily 100 mile commute. A few issues nothing major though.

Since I've started using it more the issues become less and less.

Good luck with your search...

Over 160k on mine now, done 25k in the last three years and it still makes me smile every time I drive it. I don't drive it every day, although it is my daily driver if you see what I mean. It's used for everything from taking the kids to football training, to customer site visits for work, to trips up to Scotland in the middle of winter with skis on the roof.

I won't lie, it's nudging £10k in maintenance since I bought it (although that includes a £2.5k half-body rust removal & respray job) and it seems to throw up random £1k bills approx every six months. Most recently needed two new radiators with precisely zero warning and just yesterday started the old double-beep-and-won't-lock dance, which I totally expect to end up being in the same ballpark. Then again I'm totally mechanically inept and have no interest in spending my weekends under the car covered in oil, so I've no doubt that I could save a significant amount of money by doing more of the work myself. Although they're not the cheapest, I trust the guys at Northway to do everything right and I wouldn't take it anywhere else.

However, regardless of what it costs when all's said and done I refer you back to my first sentence!

Funnily enough I have been debating buying a scissor lift for my garage so I can work on it as that's one reason I want one as I enjoy getting my hands dirty

They're a great car to work on and not as scary as some may try and make you believe.

112 thousand for mine,no rattles goes like stink,maintain it myself no drama stories yet. 8)

135k used for 40 mile commute 3 days a week in all weathers at the moment.

I do get the oil analyzed each drop as I hear the stories about main bearings wearing and lunching the crank before you notice anything.

Hopefully mine like many others will be good for 180k+ at least before it needs engine attention.

These are old cars, you just have to get used to random things stopping working and needing replaced every so often. If you can't do those yourself you need to pay for them. Still less than depreciation costs on newer metal or finance interest in my man-maths.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Stulees65
Back