Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Rear reflector help needed.

Fulla

Sao Paulo
Hi All,

I am on my second rear reflector after a recent refurb on the car. The issue I am having is the rear reversing len's having moisture inside it.

The 1st one I had literally had water pouring our when it was removed so getting a replacement wasn't an issue. The second one also seems to have moisture inside the reversing lens.
It seems the clear lens isn't water tight. I washed the car Friday and again ended up with moisture inside. So as a test I put the jetways on it and it seems to get through. I know it might sound odd but I actually put my mouth over it and sucked (can of worms...) and it isn't airtight. I am assuming it should be?
I have never had an issue with rear reflectors letting water in and I think there is a faulty batch at the OPC.
So any ideas and advise welcome.

After you've finished sucking your car, Andy and I can pop round to help you make it airtight...

Cue joke about a Princess.

Tobesetc said:
After you've finished sucking your car, Andy and I can pop round to help you make it airtight...

Cue joke about a Princess.

Oooh...you know how to fix it?? Sounds like a plan...as long as you promise not to laugh at the air-bubbles that are in my side foils...I have new ones ready to go on when it goes into the detailer...

Tobesetc said:

Niche :floor:

Once it is dry (I'd take it off and stick it in the boiler cupboard) go around the edges where the lens meets the plastic casing with sealant or mastic? Mine is new with the lights too this week, they do not appear to be letting in moisture but I considered doing this before I fitted them. May do it now havinging read your tale of woe.

Tobes assuming your fix is with sealant of some kind?

Had a look on Rennlist and it seems it is a common issue fixed with sealant. All points to crap construction of the lights!

I would say that clear sealant is the answer... :shutup:

Fulla said:
Tobes assuming your fix is with sealant of some kind?

Had a look on Rennlist and it seems it is a common issue fixed with sealant. All points to crap construction of the lights!

I have a sneaking suspicion this is what Tobes has in mind

https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=airtight

I would probably steer clear of his offer of "clear sealant" if I was you

Well there you go once again this forum has increased my knowledge....and in the process either made some of you laugh or hope to never met me in person, unless in daylight....
Airtight - after following the urban dictionary link it all makes sense...although I am not sure if I am the one to worry about or if it should be Tobe and Andy...:)

Once it is dry (I'd take it off and stick it in the boiler cupboard) go around the edges where the lens meets the plastic casing with sealant or mastic?

...... ^^ this ......

I used black sealant mastic from Halfords when I had the same problem in a new rear lens .......

Fulla said:
Well there you go once again this forum has increased my knowledge....and in the process either made some of you laugh or hope to never met me in person, unless in daylight....
Airtight - after following the urban dictionary link it all makes sense...although I am not sure if I am the one to worry about or if it should be Tobe and Andy...:)

Haha. Sucking the moisture out of an indicator is one thing bit Tobes' suggestion is a whole different world of depravity :floor:

Is it still covered under warranty if the refurb is pretty recent? I only ask, as when I had the same issue, I had it replaced under warranty by an OPC.

I hadn't bought the reflector from them, but I was pointed back in their direction when I asked the retailer I bought it from. The OPC had no problems getting it fixed, but I would admit it took a couple of visits; one for an inspection, and one for the replacement to be fitted.

madalaa said:
....... depraved ....... is Tobe's middle name ....... :floor:

:devil:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cooper9000
Back