Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Steering wheel upgrade to Gen 2 - problem

Poker2009

Suzuka
I upgraded my steering wheel to a Gen 2 version, with round airbag etc. Until recently everything has worked fine, the horn used to need a bit more of a push to get it it work, but that is all.

Recently, it does not work at all when I start the car, and usually takes about 10-15 mins of driving before it starts to work, or not until I start the car again on a second drive.

It is a strange problem, any suggestions/tips before I strip it? I am thinking loose connection somewhere.

Is the airbag flush with the wheel or sat in a bit?

It's importan to make sure that the loom is located down the side of the airbag and use a bit of grease on n the sides.

I don't think it sits in, but will check.

Will try what you have suggested - thanks

Yes silicon grease especially on the three tabs and also you may need to replace the two springs in the bottom while your checking the connections the springs are only cheap from the OPC :thumb:

Do you have a part number for the springs by any chance?

Might be worth just replacing them whilst I am taking it apart.

Poker2009 said:

I am away at the moment mate and no access to the info but Bournemouth opc had then in stock just asked for gen 2 airbag return springs :thumb:

Poker2009 said:

Part number for the springs. 9P1.419.357. I paid £8.84 for a pair 2 months ago at OPC Brooklands.

davenice said:
Poker2009 said:

Part number for the springs. 9P1.419.357. I paid £8.84 for a pair 2 months ago at OPC Brooklands.

Thanks - ordered springs and a set of heat shields. Booked in for spark plugs, heat shields, and steering wheel fix.

All fixed, but turned out to be the horn itself was the problem, so have changed both the low and high tone horns.

Since I have owned the car (9 years!) the horn sound was embarrassing, so one must failed years ago, and the other was on it's way out.

Poker2009 said:
All fixed, but turned out to be the horn itself was the problem, so have changed both the low and high tone horns.

Since I have owned the car (9 years!) the horn sound was embarrassing, so one must failed years ago, and the other was on it's way out.

:floor: :floor: glad its sorted , sometimes we miss the obvious culprit :grin: :thumb:

Was expecting some sarcastic comment from Phil on you having issues with your horn....

:floor:

mikeluke said:
Was expecting some sarcastic comment from Phil on you having issues with your horn....

:floor:

Sorry Mike I let the side down :floor: :floor:

The problem with the horns failing is quite common as I had the same issue with my cayman. It sounded very camp!

When I replaced my 997 steering wheel initially I didn't put the springs in so as soon as I started the car the horn went off and I couldn't stop it! A few of my neighbours came out of their houses to see what the noise was :D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GT3161
Back