Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

1999 C2 4 years of ownership

ckellum84

Hi wanted to post up my experience of owning this epic car.
When I bought it it had 52k on the clock. Now just over 66k.
Midnight blue and in mint condition. 2 previous owners. One was a doctor.

Since owning here are the things that went wrong and needed replacing. What I have learnt is that a car of this age naturally has worn parts that will eventually need to be replaced.

2 new front condensers. Air con didn't work when I bought so I took the bumper off and fitted the new ones. Also replaced the rubber o rings. All in a this is a simple job. Lots of screws, old ones off new ones in. Done.

New battery. Car wouldn't start after being left for a while. Had no idea how old the last one was so easier to replace.

Both front radiators leaked and poured fluid all over the road. Again did this myself. Bumper off again, drain everything, old ones off new ones on, refill. This was a difficult job on the drive and needed a special tool to take off the hose clips under the wheel arches. Basically took all day.

New clutch. Took to GTone for that.

Water pump - driving back around the motorway last month and the pump began to squeal really loud. Someone tapped on my window at traffic lights said water was pouring out the bottom of the car. A friend and I replaced it last weekend. Again really long job and very fiddly. Did the thermostat at the same time. First time we refilled the coolant it leaked around the thermostat seal. So had to take it all off again to re seal it. Would recommend anyone give this a go though as it must have saved me a good few hundred quid. Parts are not expensive for this car. In fact the pump and thermostat was less than. £300. Labour though is expensive as it just takes ages.

Today again I had the air con pressure tested and gassed. Wasn't running cold at all. Now it's freezing. Just as the heatwave comes to an end. Doh!

Update 26th November
All coil packs replaced and spark plugs. Engine management light came on and was the result of a cracked coil pack. Replaced all as they were all bad.

Drivers side window regulator started screeching and grinding. Took door card off and replaced. Very tricky to get the window realigned. Still catching on the upper lip when I open the door.

Next need two new front tyres as mot gave a warning.

It's been a joy to own. For anyone looking to buy one of say look out for a car that has had a good overhaul of the cooling system. New rads and water pump as these are likely to go wrong on a car almost 20 years old.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
race911turbo
Back