Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Audi RS brake costs - Saved £1,000

hornet

Just had my first MOT on my Audi RSQ3 which came with a free vehicle inspection. Report came back saying the pads were 80% worn and that I needed new front pads and discs (wavy disc design). Cost to supply and fit £1,150.

The car has done 20,000 miles mostly gentle (ish) driving with no track days so was a little surprised to hear new discs were required. Anyway being very distrustful of Audi dealers I had them checked out independently and surprise surprise discs were nowhere near required. New pads fitted £145 all in - saving of £1,000 if I had just accepted the dealers recommendation and booked in in through Audi.

Makes the cost of changing the discs and pads on my Boxster S seem very reasonable.

V.W. did the same to me last year, went in for a small job and they did a vehicle health check, mileage was about 25k. Hit me with an estimate for just over a grand!
New front pads, £369.70 New rear pads £233.17 New tyres £156 each Slight lip on disc, new discs £475.37.
Took it to my local garage, discs were fine, pads were well within wear parameter, back and front and tyres were 3.5 mm so didn't change them.

They do take the AdBlue some times!

Was the MOT done at an Audi Dealer/Franchise?

If so, i'd be trotting back to the DP with your independent inspection and asking for an explanation.
Discs and Pads, biggest con in the motor industry!

C.

Yes MOT was done at the Audi dealer. Can't be bothered to go back to them although gave them a crap review on their survey.

Moral of the story - never trust the franchised dealer and always get it checked independently

hornet said:
Just had my first MOT on my Audi RSQ3 which came with a free vehicle inspection. Report came back saying the pads were 80% worn and that I needed new front pads and discs (wavy disc design). Cost to supply and fit £1,150.

The car has done 20,000 miles mostly gentle (ish) driving with no track days so was a little surprised to hear new discs were required. Anyway being very distrustful of Audi dealers I had them checked out independently and surprise surprise discs were nowhere near required. New pads fitted £145 all in - saving of £1,000 if I had just accepted the dealers recommendation and booked in in through Audi.

Makes the cost of changing the discs and pads on my Boxster S seem very reasonable.

Had the same with the BM. Big report claiming loads of stuff needed doing (including discs and pads) plus new rear tyres down to 2 mil. Suspension bump stops, oil leak etc etc. Strangely it went back in recently and got clean bill of health other than front pads! the tyres are still on!
In the end I had the front discs and pads as there were 325 all in compared with 200 for pads alone lol.

I expected the same for disc and pads for my CooperS as the front discs are lipped. Being on a TLC plan that's they only way that they could get any money out of me. Surprise surprise - not a word. Everything fine :thumb:

I remember taking my Cayenne into Halfrauds for an MOT as OPC had a month backlog. I was informed there was an advisory - "rear tyres 1.8mm from legal limit". £450 fitted. So when I explained that 'equation' actually means there's over 3mm on tread on them I declined their offer :bandit:

Having said that the above pales into comparison compared to this that made it into Viz world Records:

The biggest bill for fictitious work carried out on a woman's car by garage mechanics was one of £6322.88 charged by Joskins Bros. Motors Ltd of Stevenage. Calling in for a routine service on her one year old Peugeot 305, Mrs June Spears (GB) agreed to pay for, among other things, new trumpets (£752), cracked Gangle pin (£1785), realignment of main glib shaft (£2268), set of hexagonal Tag nuts and dangleberry adapter (£35) and new piss-take valves (£120). No work was actually carried out on the car during the six weeks it spent at the garage but 4000 miles were put on the clock and she later received a speeding summons from Italian police.

I actually think she got a good price on the dangleberry adapter :grin:

Very typical of Audi!

Does your car have brake wear indicators? The yellow warning comes on with about 500 miles or so left based on my experience.

Discs and pads on the front of my B7 S4 last around 50k miles so I would err on the side of them having you over and getting them checked has shown that is exactly what they were trying to do.

Glad you didn't fall for it.

Yes I believe they do have sensors. I recently had two new tyres on the front so took an opportunity to look at the brakes and agreed that the pads were near end of life. As I was planning a long trip I decided to get the pads replaced before the warning light came on and at £145 to replace all 8 pads on the front it was not worth taking a chance.

I did phone another local garage who specialize in german cars and when I told them that Audi recommended changing the discs they just laughed and said typical Audi. I'm sure other makes are just as bad.

audi

The trouble is if you refuse and the car is under warranty they will tell you it invalidates the warranty. I had a friend this happened with his wifes mini.He had checked the brakes before it went in and all ok but wife phones him from garage to say they need to be changed and it was £700.
A friend of a friend was a service manager at a vw dealership and he jacked the job in as he was sick of the pressure from above to increase turnover and sick of dealing with the customers when told the news!

The customer experience in some of these dealerships has to be experienced to be believed.
Got a warning letter from Volkswagen to say that I should take my Touareg into the nearest dealership at my earliest convenience as a fault had been found on a part of the braking system, in that a clip that should have been fitted may not have been fitted!
As my dealership is just across the road from me I walked in one morning whilst passing with my letter from V.W. rang the buzzer, surly workshop person came out and asked what I wanted, handed him the letter saying 'I just got this in the post this morning' he took it off me looked at it handed it back and said 'so what do you want me to do about it?'
Picked up the letter walked out and phoned V.W. customer services, car was picked up the next day and checked and delivered back, went into the dealership later in the year and Mr happy was gone!

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smiggles772
Back