Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

200 Cell Cats - How much more volume?

crash7

Imola
Has anyone added 200 cells cats in isolation, and can you comment on the additional exhaust volume?

Is there any? How much?

Are all 200 Cell cats created equally? As in its 200 cell so the flow and noise is going to be the same regardless of manufacturer?

Cheers

defo more flow and more noise I would say on a normal set up.

I can't say exact percentages but I have heard 35-40% more through 200 cell.

then 60% more through 100 CELL cats.

I have done them on my 996 C2 3.4 and can say the car breathes a lot better, has better pick up and better flow at the top end. its just seems to run better and have better throttle response too.

My car got quite a lot louder, with the 200 cell X-pipe being the only change.

Personally I think it sounds great, but I can't get on 98Db limit track days.

Cheers for the info

Dammit said:
My car got quite a lot louder, with the 200 cell X-pipe being the only change.

Personally I think it sounds great, but I can't get on 98Db limit track days.

This was my concern, what rear boxes are you running?

If you go on the Top Gear website and look at the 200 cell CATs (63mm) my car is there with a before and after video of the CATs.

Yes it is louder :)

The Top Gear 200 Cell cats I added this year on my 02 C4S made it just-this-side of obnoxious loud, but the bark it has now is intoxicating.

It is loud enough that I scared some teenagers backing out of a parking lot, but not as loud as the AC Cobra I chased home last week.

Dammit said:
Cargraphic non-valved.

Whereabouts are you in the country? Happy to pop over if it's South.

Cheers :thumb: - But based on the feedback I am going to give it a miss, passing track noise limits is not getting any easier so it just not worth the potential agro for a few more horses.

Some really useful insight on this thread. I am looking at 63mm cats.
Was wondering if anyone run a 63mm 200 cell cat, with OEM back-boxes. Wondering what results this would give:
1) In terms of performance (will the std boxes strangle the exhaust, robbing all the benefit of the improved flow through the cats)?
2) Impact on noise, would it improve the exhaust note, without dramatically increasing volume.

it would be a louder with 200 cells on std exhaust. standard mufflers flow less air but not a massive change. its more about noise insulation with the oem mufflers.

flow would be better for sure

the oem CATs are MASSIVELY restrictive and more like 600 CELLs

Thanks NLW73

I think I will run std back-boxes (for a while anyway - partly due to budget, partly to hear what it sounds like) alongside 200cell 63mm cats..

I have Top Gear 200 sport cel cats on my 4s with their mild sport boxes. Previous set up was std exhaust with 1.5 inch gundo hack.It now feels smoother and more powerful with a more bassy tone, but the bark and snarl has gone. I actually prefer the new sound 90% of the time but miss the racecar sound near the red line.It is far less antisocial now and less boy racer. Whereabouts are you? I am near Wellinborough, happy to meet for a listen if you want to hear it.

Echo above, I fitted the 200 cell cats to Top Gear mild sport backboxes and stainless manifolds off eBay, it sounds epic. It's a little bassy under medium throttle inside the cabin, but nowhere near as intrusive as the Dansk supersound i had before.

Performance and pick up are much improved.

Oh, and it has a lovely burble as you pull away, I doubt that's enything to do with the cats alone but it adds to the theatre.

Shurv said:
I have Top Gear 200 sport cel cats on my 4s with their mild sport boxes. Previous set up was std exhaust with 1.5 inch gundo hack.It now feels smoother and more powerful with a more bassy tone, but the bark and snarl has gone. I actually prefer the new sound 90% of the time but miss the racecar sound near the red line.It is far less antisocial now and less boy racer. Whereabouts are you? I am near Wellinborough, happy to meet for a listen if you want to hear it.

Thanks Shurv, am in leighton Buzzard, so not too far away - but about to head off on holiday. Am wondering off 200cell cat plus gundo-hack might be the ultimate sound......

Hi

I have the 9e switchable exhaust with 100 cell cats. What a transformation from the standard set up. I love the way it pops when very hot. But a bit of a pain when trying to get it through the MOT :thumbs:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
b8n8tai
Back