Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

IMS 2006 onwards to 2008 No it isn't one of those threads!

resigner

Barcelona
Afternoon all

On a facebook page I am being slightly flamed for saying the newer IMS isn't a problem. This guy is basing this on an article which I will add pics for that he posted.

Now, I've always been told and read that the newer late 2005 IMS was fine and solved the problem, but this guy has a real issue with that, says it still causes problems etc based pretty much on this article he has read.

of course, anything still has the possibility of failing, but whats the informed opinion on the new IMS on here?

cheers

Attachments

• ims_1_635.jpg
    ims_1_635.jpg
    116.8 KB · Views: 1,702
  • ims_2_125.jpg
    ims_2_125.jpg
    112.7 KB · Views: 1,702
  • ims_3_507.jpg
    ims_3_507.jpg
    86.5 KB · Views: 1,702
I'm sorry but "still subject to failure, albeit at a lower rate" sounds a lot more accurate than "the newer IMS (sic) isn't a problem".

In fairness to you most discussion on later Gen1 cars seems to revolve around bore scoring rather than IMS bearing issues. :wink:

It very much depends on how you read that article and interpret it . lets be honest any moving part on any vehicle could fail ,and in small number does which is why we see aircraft crashes and trains crash etc etc but we still all fly and get public transport . its again one of those very open safe statements . far too loose and broad to really be of any consequence . like saying some guys nuts drop off :dont know: well some do but we dont all panic and run around holding on firmly to them mmmm well not unless your a rapper :grin: :grin:
There can only ever be two outcomes, those that run scared of every little article, we see them driving around in their Kia Turdingo things living in their new build cardboard box house with 10 yr HOUSE BUILDER warranty .Then theres the others who really take life as it comes we win some we lose some, none of it is unsurmountable or recoverable from in our working life, we do the things we want and enjoy life worry free and face some of lifes little risks head on . I can honestly say having owned 997s for 6 years I have never ever heard the statement that the post 05/06 newer IMS was an issue in any numbers to be calling it a failing in the marque. So personally I am with resigner and consider it BS scaremongering by some article writer to generate sales of whatever rag it comes from. :thumb: :thumb: 8)

Yup, Phil just summed up what I thought perfectly. Yes of course any part can fail. Does it in enough numbers to mean we should worry? No, don't think so in the newer IMS case. Bore Score, yes a concern, can be mitigated against!

As per what Phil has said .

Ive seen many one off failures of items over the years that ive never seen again.

All i can say reguards the later ims with the larger nut then ive never seen one fail .. granted i expect it has happened but ive never seen it since they came out .. and ive worked on a few of them over the years ... 14 so far !

I would be more concerned about bore scoring on engine with later IMS (and also the earlier types).

Wonder who paid for / promoted the original article?
LN engineering or similar perhaps?

Given a large enough sample and destruction testing the only way any part is 100% fail-free is if it's not in the design.

Yes Jonno, that's why Porsche finally admitted they got it wrong with the M96/97 engine specification & scrapped it.

Not sure scrapped it is the right context ,and Porsche as far as I am aware havent admitted the M96/97 engine was a failure. and never will unless they want a class action lawsuit on their hands . Its more like through continous development the natural progession was to go to a direct fuel injection engine which is what they did , very often with all marques the newer engines are better than the predecesor but it doesnt mean the previous engine of all marques was a failure its just a natural evolvement :thumb: :thumb:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Timjar
Back