Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Pre Purchase Inspection/Advise

JDH

Hi guys.

New to the forum.
Looking to purchase a 2007 911 997 Turbo Gen 1 from a private seller.

Car has covered 62k
Manual.

Following some research on the vehicle I have been able to obtain the following negative points on the car and would really appreciate some feedback or advice/costs and severity of them, particularly the first.

Overevs on the engine - interange fix
- I have no further details however I assume from the diagnostics there should be more detailed information somewhere regarding this... Is it serious if the engine has been overeved at all in any instance?

Tandum pump is corroded.

One of the air conditioning condensers is leaking.

The 'low tone' horn isn't working properly.

Many thanks in advance!
Jon

Do you mean into Range 6 ?

Thats not so good if you do .. it all depends on the operateing hours listed ..if it was less than 200 hours and you have 5 or more in range 6 then i would be walking away .... need to get a bit more info on this as its kinda important .

Other bits are minor and par for the cource although not that cheap.

Rev range data requires interpretation - how many ignitions, how long ago, in which rev range etc. Based on that interpretation, a compression test nay be required.

Leaking condensers need replacing. Quite possibly the rads also - or soon.

My recommendation is to put the car through a thorough PPI with a written report by an Indy who knows what to look for in s manual 997 Turbo.

Failing that, put it through a OPC 111-point check - but bear in mind it will flag up any non-Porsche parts that may not need to be changed unless you are applying for an OPC warranty.

Don't take a risk without a thorough inspection.
OPC charge around £200 and an Indy around £300 inc VAT - but well worth it.
Lot of poor examples out there with big bills lurking for the next owner.

The £280 I spent on a PPI on a prospective car was well spent. It unearthed a host of big bills on a FPSH car with documents to support. Close to £8k of work infact, which didn't include a service. With regards the over rev data, the report is relatively easy to interpret with the help of several informed members on here.
Don't rush and walk away if you're not 100% about the car.

Thanks for the responses.

After agreeing a price in principle I then raised the issues listed particularly the over revving and asked for further details and history on the car as well as asking that the car went for a full 111 point inspection at the local Porsche dealer...

He responded by saying that due to reconsideration the car was no longer for sale....

Following an HPI he bought the car August 2017... Obviously something isn't right with it!

:bye:

Its hiding big bills and hence try to off-load might be one take.
On the other hand it could be such a nice car he has spent shed loads of money on so no imminent worries or bills for the foreseeable future so reconsidered and decided to keep it and enjoy it for himself.

That PPI/111-point inspection is a real safeguard. Buying privately, you simply cannot take the risk of buying without having had one of these inspections.
They easily flush out £4k-£8k of work required on a lot of cars - possibly identified by an indy at a part-ex hence the private route for disposal.

Hold your money. There's loads of cars out there to choose from.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
drthein
Back