Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

wishbone removal help :)

Teg

Hi All,

Doing some suspension maintenance on my 996 turbo.

Top mounts done and drivers side coffin arm done.

The problem i have is the passenger side coffin arm is stuck solid! Have got all the bolts off no problem, but cannot separate the ball joint from the hub.

I have a ball joint removal tool which worked fine on the other side and had worked well with cars in the past, put this one has bent it!!!!

What are my options?

Is it possible to drill it out? I don't want to damage the hub though.

Any thoughts experiences would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Ben

Well ..

Your going to need another ball joint splitter , you need the coffin arm connected at the far end or at least a bolt through it to stop it moving.

Tighten up the ball joint splitter but dont keep going untill it bends you can then try hitting the part the ball joint goes through .. give it a try but dont go mad.

Spray any kind of penetraiteing oil on the ball joint and basically leave it for a bit.

Ive had one go after 5 mins of being left under tension .. thats about x1 fag break :D

Heat is not really going to work but a hot air gun is worth a go .. anything flame based and you risk melting the hub.

Worse way .. it will come out but the steel insert will come out as well .. thats a new hub im afraid .. dont attempt to refit it if that happens .

Thanks DeMort

Good idea to keep the other end of the wishbone connected. I had it off so could not put any force down on this.

Yeah tried a little bit of heat but was cautious of over heating the hub so don't get it that hot really.

Any recommendations on penetrating fluid? Been using wd40 but perhaps there is something better on the market these days.

Will get myself another hefty looking ball joint splitter, put it under pressure and give the wishbone a wack with a mallet.

Don't fancy replacing the hub 😬

As above leave it under tension then tap the side of the arm itself a few sharp taps. Leave then add a little more tension. Walk away for 5 minutes then tweak again. It will go with a bang when you least expect it.

No luck yet :frustrated:

Left it under tension whilst I went to do the food shop. Covered in penetrating oil. Bought a decent mallet and given it a good few knocks to try and break any corrosion and it's still stuck solid!

Just can't believe how tough it is in comparison to the other side.

Will have another go this weekend, but not sure what else I can do.

If worse come to worse, where can I buy a replacement hub? Passenger side front.

Thanks.

Think tomorrow I can work from home so going to get it jacked up in the morning put the ball joint splitter on it and some plusgas and return at the end of each hour to give it another tighten.

You need a turbo or C4S front upright. The caliper bolt spacing is different to the C4, and the angle of the strut is different to the GT3 and GT2. Both things are different compared to a C2 or Boxster. Unfortunately they are rarer and more expensive.

MC

:Dance-Tap: :Dance-Tap: :Dance-Tap:

Its off! Whooop Whooop!

Thanks for your help guys, kept me motivated to keep at it. Real feeling of satisfaction after putting all those hours into it.

Heat was what finally got it out. Had spent all morning tightening it and spraying more plusgas. Then went for some heat whilst having the ball joint splitters on it and it finally popped.

Took a bit of work getting it out as the top of the thread was so mashed it would not fit through the hole, but its done now and car back together :thumbs:

Couple of weeks before it goes in for geometry though.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JLav211
Back