Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Engine oil for older cars

Rob6

I was about to buy some oil to top up my 2007 997 but read somewhere that when selecting the right oil for your car you should consider the mileage along with the recommended grade.
My car has done 95k miles.
I usually use 0W40 grade, or if i cant get that 5W40.
Anyone think i should use another grade given my high mileage?
And also, i seem to have to add 2 or 3 litres inbetween annual services - does that sound right?

Thanks - I got the answer from previous posts
Off to buy some 10W40 now

Rob 10W40 or 10W50 will be best for your mileage and using 1ltr per 1000 miles is within Porsche tolerance. many are using millers nano , but I think the viscosity is more important than the brand so if you like mobil 1 then stick with it those that are using mobil dont seem to have any more issues than those using millers its just Hartech reccomend millers . do take your filter apart and have a look at it :thumb: :thumb:

Phil 997 said:
Rob 10W40 or 10W50 will be best for your mileage and using 1ltr per 1000 miles is within Porsche tolerance. many are using millers nano , but I think the viscosity is more important than the brand so if you like mobil 1 then stick with it those that are using mobil dont seem to have any more issues than those using millers its just Hartech reccomend millers . do take your filter apart and have a look at it :thumb: :thumb:

Hi phill, what oil do you use in your car and also after an engine rebuild and the running in of the engine is done what oil is recommended to use??

Cheers

J

I'm on 75k miles (07 C2S manual) and using 10W50 millers as per advice from my Indy to do so after I got to 70k miles. Buy it online, it's worth it.

J, Hartech reccomend Millers nano 5w40 when running in after a rebuild then 10w50 , They also suggest that cars with over 60k should switch to 10w50 . I used millers nano plus 10w50 in my gen1 and had zero engine issues, and due to that, originally used the same in my gen2 , but due to some odd things like sticking lifters and a cam timing solenoid etc going recently my OPC and tech wanted me to switch back to Mobil1 0w40 which I resisted firmily but have relented and agreed to run the car on Mobil1 5w40 for a while and see if I was using too thick a viscosity oil on my gen2 given the miles and that its a DFI engine. Only time will tell :thumb: I am not convinced that the viscosity of the oil was or contributed the issue but in order to prove one way or the other I need to try changing it. :thumb: :thumb:

Phil 997 said:
J, Hartech reccomend Millers nano 5w40 when running in after a rebuild then 10w50 , They also suggest that cars with over 60k should switch to 10w50 . I used millers nano plus 10w50 in my gen1 and had zero engine issues, and due to that, originally used the same in my gen2 , but due to some odd things like sticking lifters and a cam timing solenoid etc going recently my OPC and tech wanted me to switch back to Mobil1 0w40 which I resisted firmily but have relented and agreed to run the car on Mobil1 5w40 for a while and see if I was using too thick a viscosity oil on my gen2 given the miles and that its a DFI engine. Only time will tell :thumb: I am not convinced that the viscosity of the oil was or contributed the issue but in order to prove one way or the other I need to try changing it. :thumb: :thumb:

Cheers phil :thumb: im due my second oil change now after my engine build!! Also where is best place to buy the Millers oil?

Cheers

J

-- 997 -- said:
Phil 997 said:

Cheers phil :thumb: im due my second oil change now after my engine build!! Also where is best place to buy the Millers oil?

Cheers

J

Opie Oil ,J they regularly run promos so register for email alerts and grab 10 ltrs at the next promo look at the nano+ dont buy the stuff off ebay its old stock you can tell as the packaging has changed you want the stuff with a yellow band on the label not the old stock with a red band. :thumb: :thumb:

Phil 997 said:
-- 997 -- said:
Phil 997 said:

Cheers

J

Opie Oil ,J they regularly run promos so register for email alerts and grab 10 ltrs at the next promo look at the nano+ dont buy the stuff off ebay its old stock you can tell as the packaging has changed you want the stuff with a yellow band on the label not the old stock with a red band. :thumb: :thumb:

Cheers phill :thumb:

Ill look into that and order !!

Thanks very much !!

J

Bought my (2009) 997.1 in July 2014 with 41k miles on it (then 5 years old).
Was running Mobil 0W 40 between services. Usage was low and well within tolerance.

After a couple of annual services, I changed to Millers 5W 40 at the suggestion of my Indy. Oil usage actually dropped and I use very little at all.

She's now due for a 60k+ major service and will continue with Millers 5W 40 until she gets to a significant higher mileage (80k ??) unless things change. :thumb: I also buy from Opie.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R6demon
Back