Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Flat battery, cant get the front bonnet open!

martylennox

Ive had the battery on trickle charge for a few weeks, but when i disconnected it and attempted to start the car. Nothing. Now ive no ignition lights, and no way into the front boot!
Tried connecting to the connector in the fuse box as per instructions but Nothing.

Im suspecting some sort of faulty earth, but in the meantime, is there a way to manually release the front bonnet catch on a 996?

thanks in advance guys

Jump pack or jump leads on the fuse box red plug and the door check strap (metal part on the frame ).

Then repeatedly press the fob bonnet button and the car bonnet button .. it takes many attempts for it to pop sometimes .

Sounds like your battery is toast .

+1 for what deMort has said

I tried to get into the front cable pull by removing wheel arch liners = no luck
I then tried finding the pull cable under the rear light cluster by trying to hook it with a bent up hanger = no luck

Then went to Halfruds and purchased a pack and EXACTLY AS deMort has said a few attempts. IE at first when i conncted the pack to the jump plug on the fuse box = NOTHING, I thought i was 1000% buggered

Retried connecting the pack and the key fob came to life and i started to breathe again !! Phew

Goodluck

I pulled the first cable I found, thought I had instantly won the day until the petrol cap popped open.

Thanks guys,

i had no ignition lights (or anything else for that matter) but whirring and clicking from both doors and footwell?

after about an hour the car alarm went off, all lights ignition etc working again. But car will not start, any attempt puts all power off again.

I think there may be a issue with an earth lead somewhere, maybe at the starter??

martin

First off is the battery ok , you need to charge it then check it either a specific tester or measure the acid with a hydrometer .. cheapest way ... you want 3-4 balls floating basically ... if maintenece free battery then you cant do it this way.

You could just charge it , try and start the car so a good few cranks then measure the battery voltage .. good and it will be over 12 volts .. bad and less than 12.

Flat battery over time is an electrical discharge .. amp meter to check .

Poor earth lead which to be honest i have very rarely seen will cause no spin over or very slow so similar to a flat battery... fault messages or eml as well due to low current .

Any fault on the starter motor or the lead to it will cause slow spin over when cranking but all electrical functions will be fine .

What you have desribed so far is a flat battery .. alarm monitors the battery lvl and will trigger if its too low ... i would start with this .

EDIT ..

Hyro checking the battery means contact with acid .. glasses and gloves please .. safety tip over :D

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
993gtnut
Back