Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Ave. cost of 997 ownership

Phil 997

Le Mans
I was reading and contributing to a face book discussion about this subject and I have for a while considered 2k pa the average cost of 997 ownership , it will vary from car to car and some will find the drip feed money at iy others will have longish periods of no bills then be hit with a lump , the latter seems to be my experience and goes something like this and does exclude the many thousands spend on mods :grin:

997.1 owned 4.5 years repair and maintanance cost aprox 4/5k
997.2 owned 1.5 years repair and maintanance cost aprox 7k
total 911 ownership 6 years total repair and maintanance cost aprox 11/12k
this works out at an ave of 2k PA .

there were a few others that also felt this was a reasonable assumption to the repair and maintanance cost of a 997.

I didnt think it was bad considering the low depreciation and what a new car would depreciate by in its first year alone .

whats your experience or thoughts :?: :thumb:

Wow Phil that sounds a bit heavy to me, perfection or bad luck, I would say mines about £1000 a year 997.2

Ownership

Hey Phil- doesn't seem that bad to me. Just totted up what I spent on the 997.2 turbo s in 2 years of ownership. Total of £2600 which included a service and replacement front rads, coil packs.

Service items really

:thumb:

Hamster75 said:
Wow Phil that sounds a bit heavy to me, perfection or bad luck, I would say mines about £1000 a year 997.2

how long have you had it mate , mine was based on 6 yrs the first 4 as you can see were much lower but it seems from lots of peoples discussions 2k is about the ave over a number of years :thumb: :thumb: and of course if your is a later gen2 with low miles some of the wear and tear items wont have happened yet. :thumb: my 7k since xmas goes something like this

condenser pipes corroded -1200
clutch and duel mass flywheel -1800
gearbox rebuild consisting of full set and syncros gears 2 and 3 -2800
PAX window regulator- 350
pads and discs -1000

So theory being none of those should need touching again for a few years so hopefully the gen2 ownership ave will come down a bit over time. although I have got a solenoid on the right bank playing up so being replaced at the weekend so add another couple of hundred to the list lol.

talking to the tech at the OPC gear 2 synchro is very common on gen2 manuals :nooo:

Re: Ownership

Mr02ard said:
Hey Phil- doesn't seem that bad to me. Just totted up what I spent on the 997.2 turbo s in 2 years of ownership. Total of £2600 which included a service and replacement front rads, coil packs.

Service items really

:thumb:

yes Aaron so your also in and around the 2ish K mark :thumb: :thumb:

I guess I'm in for around £2k-£2.5k a year on maintenance on the Turbo.. The problem is it's the non essentials that kill me! Did I mention the GT2 wheels I've just bought :thumb:

I blame 911uk...

Phil - You must have spent at least £2k just on acid green accents for that gen1 :floor:

Shewie said:
I guess I'm in for around £2k-£2.5k a year on maintenance on the Turbo.. The problem is it's the non essentials that kill me! Did I mention the GT2 wheels I've just bought :thumb:

I blame 911uk...

Phil - You must have spent at least £2k just on acid green accents for that gen1 :floor:

Matt ,I was very careful to exclude mods as it would frighten me to work it out I know Brookspeed spent 15/18k on modding my gen2 and I probably spent 12k on my gen1 mods. hopefully my hobby/interest theory of the cost of green fees and golf being the same works out over 6 years :grin: :grin: :grin: and yes those RS centre locks are a great finishing touch mate :floor:

The cost is very heavily dependant on location, same with anything else in the UK.

On a side note, a member on here is currently in the process of purchasing a car everyone says stay well clear of due to reliability and running cost. He (& I) believe it is a myth. Watch this space!!

......and yes Phil......you've owned one :wink:

After owning C2 996 3 years, C4s 997 3 years, 997 turbo 2 years, if not including mods and mine are usually cosmetic not performance. I'd agree £1500 to £2000 per annum is my experience and although I don't use the turbo everyday it's still money well spent!

Good thread Phill

Probably a little unusual but my costs are zero, over the course of 7 x 911's and 1 x boxster, over the last 10 years or so.
Every car ive owned ive traded in or sold for at least the same as purchase price and on 3 with a healthy profit (993's).

Ive never changed so much as a tyre, I had the wheels refurbed on my first 993 and upgraded x 2 steering wheels on 997's, and serviced 1 x 993 once, but with the profit on sales ive removed these costs :grin:

997's have all been bought with full (or more) OPC warranty with service just done, so pretty much good for two years each (thats twice the normal length I keep a car :eek: )

Bearing in mind all the above is on a weekender with very low mileage, but my costs have seriously been zero :thumb:

Hence the next owner having to shell out £2k in the 1st year to get it back up to standard :grin:

I did 30,000 miles in my 997.1 turbo over the last 2 years and excluding things such as MOT, service & tyres, it cost me just £250 for 2 temp sensors.

Im now into year 3 of ownership and I did just have a bill for new master & slave cylinders for the clutch which was £700.

So all in all, pretty cheap motoring.

My most expensive bill for the car has been 4 new tyres but negotiated a discount based on that so I'll knock that off. Otherwise it's 1 coffin arm and service cost of minor/major services.
I've also bought the exhaust but that's a mod and wasn't necessary to the running costs.
With Insurance I think I'd be hard up to get past £800/year over the last 4 year's.

alex yates said:
Hence the next owner having to shell out £2k in the 1st year to get it back up to standard :grin:

well thats a very good thought Alex , have the guys who are spending less brought a car that the previous owner had some big bills on or are they leaving the big bill to the next owner , so it maybe that a single owner for one reason or the other got away paying less than 2k pa but during the last 5/7 years of the cars life it has cost one or the other of the owners an ave of 2k PA . :thumb: :thumb:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Stulees65
Back