Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

What next?

S14

Trainee
Hi all

Have had my 997.2 Turbo S for over 3 years. I love the car and its weekend use only. However I been having thoughts recently as to possibly changing!

I searched for 2 years to find my ideal spec which was black on black with the Aerokit and turbo 2 wheels ( not keen on the CL's). So pretty rare example as not many come with the Aerokit especially. I think it's the best looking shape too...

But what do I consider selling for? Budget upto £130k. It has to be a special weekend car.

I've been thinking about an Audi R8 V10 plus ( same engine as a huracan but no badge tax)

Possibly
991 Turbo S
991.1 GT3
McLaren 650s

Anyone else have any thoughts and experiences of above. Leaning toward the R8 as almost straight swap. Mine has 24k miles only and been under porsche warranty all it's life!

Hi - Nice position to be in :)

If you aren't worried about depreciation (which all the cars you mentioned are subject to) you could also consider a Mclaren 570S. Better build quality than the 650S, updated Mclaren Iris infotainment system and updated carbon tub.

The 997.2 GT3 would be safest place to put your money but probably too similar to what you have now? It does offer a completely different driving experience and you retain that awesome shape...

Good luck

Nice position to be in and guess you have been browsing Redline's website :thumbs:

People talk of the 997.2 being a future classic but your Turbo S has got to be up there as one of the true unicorns of the era. I think the 997.2 GT3 is the nuts but not sure I would swap yours for one and some suggest the GT3 market is worth waiting on? :dont know:

The V10 of the R8 sounds amazing but I suspect (with my limited knowledge) there's money to be lost there. A bit of a push on budget might squeeze a 458, 570S or even a Huracan which would certainly scratch a few itches but suspect it would take a big hike in budget to get into one of the nice ones.

Lots of real positive noise about the 570S being a complete package and a fantastic drivers car. That's probably where I would be looking if moving away from Porsche.

Guess it depends on what is motivating you to make the change...... speed, drama, track days, road presence etc

I personally would not do the R8, Great car for the money but I think you will always be looking at the Huracan and feeling short changed (even if you would have more money in your pocket)..... Huracan entry point would be around your budget so worth considering.

That said the previous owner of mine changed for a Huracan and six months later moved out of it into a 991.1 GT3.

991 Turbo S, as above depending what you want out of the change, this may not be different enough a sideways move and a step back in many ways IMO.

Mclarens are nice but their product release is so fast (and improving each time) that the I would suspect that residuals will not be good...... unless looking at the limited ones 675LT, 600LT etc.

Have you thought about 'enhancing' your current car instead?

I am sort of similar to you, the 997 Turbo is a hard act to follow, especially tuned, and its so pretty.

I have been looking at F430's, DBS, Gallardo's etc (not an Audi R8 sorry, get a grip) but the car I really want is just to much for me at the moment with home improvements needed. That car is the Fezza 458, it ticks every single box.

Must work harder !!

:thumb:

If you can up your budget by £10k you'll get a good low miles 458...

Of all the 'modern' era cars...they're right up there in performance, handling, drama and sheer looks IMO.

I had one for two years, sold earlier this year and I'm struggling to find a replacement...

You've also included a GT3 in your list, if you've not had one that's where my money would be going.

Nice problem to have!

AC Cobra 378

:D

On your budget I'd be aiming for 458 all day long, though I wouldn't discount a 430 scud or gallardo performante :wink:

I've heard that base level Huracans are a bit dull to drive, v10 soundtrack notwithstanding, whereas the performante is exceptional though unfortunately too far out of range.

I simply wouldn't even consider an R8, they look and sound good, great interior etc, but I'd want something a bit more special for my £130k...and to coin a phrase, they'll 💩 money.

Speaking of 💩-ing money, let's address the McElephant in the room... I personally have too many concerns about build quality, niggles, dealer network and of course residuals. I'm nowhere near brave enough to risk 6 figures on a Macca, but there's plenty that will sing their praises...rather too aggressively at times it feels... :dont know:

Ultimately it's your money, your decision, and a rather enviable position to be in - I look forward to hearing what you end up going for :thumb:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Stulees65
Back