Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Steerimg wheel rebonding

Kbald

Monza
Hi another question. My steering wheel at 12 oclock is coming away from the metal. Probably the sun over 18 years melting the glues. Has anyone else suffered this at all and if so is there a way to repair it or is it a new wheel job?

What part is coming away? Can you post a picture?

I can post a picture but it will just look like a steering wheel as there is no extrrnal problems. The top of the wheel twists a bit but the wheel itself is fully intact. The rest of it is fine.

A retrimmer can probably sort it. Plus you then get to choose any colour for the retrim with any colour stitching you like.

Royal steering wheels or Linus.

Was thinking of an alcantara retrim in blue but thought there may be a tempoary repair till i decide what to fully do with the interior. Been googling and it seems some people inject glue into it but have no idea what type of glue or where id get a syringe from yet! Bit more searching needed!

For sticking Leather trim back it's Contact adhesive, commonly known as shoe glue you need. If you type shoe glu into eBay and scan down the list you can find a yellow tube that comes with a nozzle for injecting it. it's called shoe glu. Being contact adhesive you need to hold it in place while it dries

Oh yes, read that back, typed it twice, was distracted by swmbo was berating me for being in the phone

Thanks. Its not the leather thats loose its the rubber bit under the leatherthe leather is stuck down fine still. Will try and find a better description off google! :thumb:

So to best describe its the foam / rubber under the leather has come away at the top from the steel core so you can twist it a bit. Hope that makes sense

OK, I get it now. Yes you could cut a small slice with a scalpel, 15 Blade, cut the slice down to the core and inject the contact adhesive as above to resecure it but frankly I would not bother, a nice retrim with thicken wheel and some extras is under 150 quid so unbolt it and retrim it.

Sounds like the best way to go probably so will have a look at those companies and get it trimmed again so its nice and new and a bit thicker always helps!

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mchass
Back