Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

997 prices

Kev.K

I joined this forum a few years back when I was considering buying a 997.

I found out about the ims and bore scoring issues and it put me off.

I've recently started looking again as I plan to buy a car when my lease goes back in October.

Early car prices seem to have increased by around £4-5k since I last looked, but gen 2 pdk prices have come down massively. To the point where I'm not sure why anyone would pay £25k for a gen 1?

I'm a correct in assuming that the gen 2 engine is not prone to bore scoring and is generally reliable?

Prices of all 997s have gone up in the last couple of years and I don't think you'll find much choice of Gen2 cars under £28k so anyone with a budget less than that hasn't got much choice.

One or two issues have been reported with Gen2 engines but by and large you're correct in assuming that the later cars are generally reliable.

For similar money I'd go for a Gen2 3.6 over a Gen1 'S'.

Correct, The gen2 engine has 40% fewer parts, no IMS and is made from a much more bore scoring resilient alloy called Alusil. Basically its pretty much bulletproof especially the 3.6

What type of car are you looking for? I've got a PDK Cabriolet for £31,995 if you're interested.

T8 said:
Prices of all 997s have gone up in the last couple of years and I don't think you'll find much choice of Gen2 cars under £28k so anyone with a budget less than that hasn't got much choice.

One or two issues have been reported with Gen2 engines but by and large you're correct in assuming that the later cars are generally reliable.

For similar money I'd go for a Gen2 3.6 over a Gen1 'S'.

I would definitley want a gen 2.

I can remember reading somewhere than the 3.6 gen 2 is not much slower than the 3.8?

I didn't pay much attention at the time as the gen 2 was way out of my price range.

Les said:
Correct, The gen2 engine has 40% fewer parts, no IMS and is made from a much more bore scoring resilient alloy called Alusil. Basically its pretty much bulletproof especially the 3.6

What type of car are you looking for? I've got a PDK Cabriolet for £31,995 if you're interested.

Thanks for the offer, but it's a bit soon for me at the moment.

I would probably go for a 3.6 or 3.8 coupe. I'm between that and a R8, but I think the pdk will sway it in the 997's favour.

I was considering something more practical like a RS3, but they are more hassle than they are worth because every scumbag wants to steal them.

I was pleasantly surprised when I seen gen 2 prices. I was expecting to be told they have as many issues as gen 1's.

Les said:

Just saw the advert for your car on FB.ove the clear rear lenses

FZP said:
Les said:

Thanks, its a great car. Only selling because I'm coming into some inheritance and decided to up my game and spend double on a newer car.

Les said:
FZP said:
Les said:

Thanks, its a great car. Only selling because I'm coming into some inheritance and decided to up my game and spend double on a newer car.

I sold a immaculate 30k mile, one owner 350z roadster in March after 4 summers of rain.

If I ever buy another convertible, I'll ruin the weather for everyone else again.

Yours should get snapped up in this weather. It's really nice. Love the colour.

I had a boxster pdk as a courtesy car for a while. I loved it but the only thing I didn't like were the paddles. They just didn't make sense to me. It was odd that they both did the same thing and they felt 'back to front".

Can this be changed with coding?

I think so, but you do get used to it.

Kev.K said:
I had a boxster pdk as a courtesy car for a while. I loved it but the only thing I didn't like were the paddles. They just didn't make sense to me. It was odd that they both did the same thing and they felt 'back to front".

Can't be changed with coding but can be changed with rewiring - requires a decent bit of dismantling thou. Alternatively buy a new steering wheel :)

160dmb said:
Kev.K said:

Can't be changed with coding but can be changed with rewiring - requires a decent bit of dismantling thou. Alternatively buy a new steering wheel :)

I didn't know that was a option. Great news. Mind made up.

The paddles were putting me off the pdk a bit tbh.

The paddles were putting me off the pdk a bit tbh.

Simple.... Don't use them :)

Don't let the 7.2 buttons put you off. While they may seem counterintuitive at first they are actually a great design. You can always get the gear you want because you have two chances to have your hand in the right place in a corner.

I moved out of one to a manual (partly because I couldn't reach to a .2 turbo), but for a while I genuinely missed those buttons

PS - not sure what you remember about Gen2 prices to say they have come down massively but my old car is currently for sale with a trader for £36k.

I paid £35k for it 3 years ago from a differently dealer, with 14k fewer miles and of course one less owner. So no, static and a bit up

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JLav211
Back