Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Cheap durametric reader thing

Halcyon

Imola
I have one. after a lot of faffing getting a Windows XP laptop working, I finally plugged it in tonight.
It can read the engine codes, data (running hours etc etc)
It can read alarm errors (there were a few!)

It can't read anything else? (Tiptronic, ABS, etc etc) It says "module failed to initialise"

anyone else have one of these and had success?

Here's the unit:
http://www.obdii365.com/wholesale/porsche-piwis-cable-free-shipping-617.html

Yes mine's the same though I got it to work on airbag on my 986 by selecting 987 as the model???? Wouldn't access that module on my 996. It's cheap and offers more than a generic obd reader so can't complain

I've had some luck with one of those on an old Boxster, it helped diagnose a dodgy ABS sensor. It's a pity it couldn't help remove the duff sensor, that was a pain of a job, the drill won in the end though!

IanG1 said:
Yes mine's the same though I got it to work on airbag on my 986 by selecting 987 as the model???? Wouldn't access that module on my 996. It's cheap and offers more than a generic obd reader so can't complain

I'll give that a try - thanks :thumb:

I also bought this one......I managed to get some useful info, but struggled with lots of the modules. Ended up buying a used genuine durametric off ebay - which immediately talks to every module.

Its been said on other threads, but dont try and update to the latest Durametric software, as it has coding in it that 'bricks' the cable.... :sad: I think the latest version you can use is ver 3.xxxxxx

For the money you cant complain - will be a lot better than a cheapo OBD reader.

I've tried all the various combinations of model, tried running the software after the ignition is on, before, engine running... but it's not making any difference. all except the engine and the alarm show "module failed to initialise" :(

I know it was cheap, but with the exception of the alarm codes, I get pretty much the same info from my £3 eBay special! :pc:

I'll email the seller, but I can't imagine getting much out of them! lol

Thanks for everyone's advice :thumb:

The supplier's response:
"Sorry, not all car modules for all cars are supported ,pls kinldy consider."

Which isn't very useful.. :frustrated:

Halcyon said:
The supplier's response:

Which modules/data are you trying to get? I have the iCarsoft POR II, so can plug it in and see if I can get the data on my reader? At least you then know it works.

eabeukes said:
Halcyon said:
The supplier's response:

Which modules/data are you trying to get? I have the iCarsoft POR II, so can plug it in and see if I can get the data on my reader? At least you then know it works.

The tiptronic module would be nice, but anything would be better than I'm getting right now! lol
But the modules MUST be working, right? otherwise the car wouldn't be? :?:

Halcyon said:
The tiptronic module would be nice, but anything would be better than I'm getting right now! lol
But the modules MUST be working, right? otherwise the car wouldn't be? :?:

When I used the durametric clone lead (same as yours) it would only read
the engine module and alarm module.
As soon as I got a proper durametric lead, it read every module........so I think its safe to assume its a limitation of these clone leads, rather than an issue with modules on the car.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biel
Back