Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Tandem Pump Question

Porschekit

Evenin' All,

My car (997.1 C4S) is nine years old (March 2009) and a recent inspection showed the tandem pump cover very well corroded, although no problems with brakes.

What's the general consensus or practice about replacement?
Leave it till it leaks and fix, i.e. new cover........or
Replace the full thing at next service as a preventative measure?

thanks people.... :thumb:

Depends who says it needs replacing - OPC or trusted indy?

OPC will normally flag one any older than about 2 weeks ( :roll: )
You can check yourself, but will want to catch it before it gets too bad.

ETA: I think the general view is avoid the covers and opt for the pierburg OEM part as replacement.

That's my dilemma.....I don't want to go poking it with a screw-driver for fear of puncturing the surface. It was my local indy that alerted me to it but didn't indicate how much "meat" is left before it corrodes through......

Any body got experience of a leaking one? what happens....is it dangerous....once it leaks do I then have a day or two (week or two) to get it sorted? and new cover or full new pump ?

You can get covers but due to the age of your car it would be prudent to replace the pump before it starts to weep, it will more than likely leak oil first before affecting your brakes.
I priced one for my last car but never needed to replace it and the cheapest place by far was Autodoc, a Pierburg item is what they will probably supply and they are probably the ones that Porsche fit anyway, my water pump certainly was. Autodoc were 1/4 of the price of OPC and delivered in 4 days.

Thanks Nick I'll take a look at them.....anybody else got any revealing anecdotes about the good and bad of changing these out? I'll probably do it at my next major service in a month or two.

Autodoc is def the cheapest by a country mile, my water pump was just over a £100 and when I took the old one off the new one was identical right down to the manufacturers codes!
One thing with Autodoc that you must do is pay the £4.50 Insurance that they add onto your bill, you can delete but don't, if anything goes wrong and you don't have it they won't even talk to you on the phone, with it they do!

If there is nothing wrong with the pump just get a new cover from Alternative Car Parts, this is an exact match for the OEM cover unlike the ones that just go over the top. It's made from toughened aluminium (read the blurb for exact spec) and replaces he cover of the pump which is the part that fails generally the pump doesn't. You can fit it without dropping the oil as well as only a little drops out as you don't have to remove the whole pump to fit it.

https://alternativecarparts.co.uk/shop/997-porsche/porsche-997-tandem-pump-cover-c2-c4/

The cover is only a £100 less than whole new pump, bit of a bu''er if you fit the shiny new cover and the pump fails! don't skimp it ain't worth it.

As everyone has said , Autodoc are the cheapest and often have promos saving even more. ACP do a replacement cover in aluminium they will last better than the steel one, my only reservation about the cover is they are only about 12 months in to supply and limited info avail about their suitability but several members have and are using them and have been for some months with no detrimental reports unlike the 9m version from a few years ago that caused contact with the rotors killing the pump this was down to differing metals expanding differenly at different temps . ACP were very aware of this issue with the 9M one when designing the new one they do and ran trials using various materials inc hard plastic and their R&D guys at the manufacture finally decided on the one that went into production . their are threads on here from several years ago as they were running trials, some were deleted by the mods as ACP were blatantly advertising on here outside of the site rules . At the time I was very dubious about the ACP cover but time seems to be proving me to be concerned about nothing as they seem to be standing up to date. I fitted a new pierberg unit from autodoc then actually fitted a stainless over cover that went over the whole steel new unit. very belt and braces but it was an expensive way to do it ,still cheaper than just the pump from the OPC . I am not sure if the supplier of the over cover is still doing them. So basically those are the options open to you . most change when they start to mist and weep but as you have been given the heads up its your call as to now or wait until it weeps/mists. you could try painting yours with hammerite and then spraying with ACF50 as its not leaking yet, this may well give you another 12months or so before replacing :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

Porschekit said:
Thanks Nick I'll take a look at them.....anybody else got any revealing anecdotes about the good and bad of changing these out? I'll probably do it at my next major service in a month or two.

If you are doing the complete pump yourself then ill list out one or two problems you might have .. if a garage is doing it then i dont need to :D

In August 2016, OPC quoted me £780 to replace the unit as it was showing signs of corrosion.

easternjets said:
The cover is only a £100 less than whole new pump, bit of a bu''er if you fit the shiny new cover and the pump fails! don't skimp it ain't worth it.

I don't see replacing a part that keeps failing with something of much better quality that won't degrade / rust as skimping. If the pump fails in the future then replace the it but put the ACP cover on the new pump otherwise you will be back up on the ramps in 2/3 years with a rusty leaky cover again, replacing the whole lot.

The choice is yours obviously so do what you feel best. I have one of these which I have been running for a couple of years now and just fitted it to my second 997 with no issue.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JLav211
Back