Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Topgear cats & post O2 connection swap.

Thefinn

Barcelona
So I have finally got round to fitting my cats tonight after a long battle with some broken header bolts and i have come accross the much spoken about post cat location problem meaning you have to connect it to the opposite sensor.

So what I really want to know is? Is this ok as it will be taking the reading from the wrong side? If I lengthen the cables will it create resistance and wrong readings? Can I just leave it as it is?

Re: Topgear cats & post O2 connection swap.The facts ple

An interesting subject TBH, like you say there are lots of what's and if and no one seems to give what they actually did, but I recon that they have swapped the Post sensors over so they fit.

Someone else must have come across this issue as well, surely....

I just had an interesting conversation with Gendan (www.gendan.co.uk), I did hear that they can get 02 sensors made to length... but looks like not BUT they do have a universal 02 sensor (Planar) that is meant to fit and work on the 997 Gen1 Post 02 sensor position:

https://www.gendan.co.uk/product_O24PLANAR.html#

Bosch also do a universal O2 sensor so the theory must stand with regards to cable joining/exstension...

OEM:
https://www.boschautoparts.com/en/auto/oxygen-sensors/premium-oxygen-sensors?partId=16825

Universal:
https://www.boschautoparts.com/en/a...oxygen-sensors-with-oe-smartlink?partId=15733

This universal one come as a kit and basically you cut your old cable with connector still attached and then either solder or crimp the wires together, they advised that as long as you don't go over 1M in length then you should be ok. So based on this then as long as you can get hold of the same gauge wire (or roughly the same...) then you should be ok to try and extend the post 02 sensor that you have.

All the post sensor does (correct me is I am wrong here...), it just checks/measures the emission levels across the CAT and if too high etc... then the ECU will adjust in conjunction with the Pre-02 sensors for that Bank.

I am thinking that with the TG200 CELL x-over CAT's maybe this is the reason why they have postioned the Post 02 sensor that distance apart when compared with the X-Pipe or other design's ..... otherwise you may get the CEL errors.

I would avoid the crossing of the Post 02 Sensors as even though it will work, they are testing/adjusting the wrong bank - if this makes any differnence then am sure someone else with more experience to advise beter mate.

Hope this helps fella....

Thefinn said:
So I have finally got round to fitting my cats tonight after a long battle with some broken header bolts and i have come accross the much spoken about post cat location problem meaning you have to connect it to the opposite sensor.

So what I really want to know is? Is this ok as it will be taking the reading from the wrong side? If I lengthen the cables will it create resistance and wrong readings? Can I just leave it as it is?

I just had the post cat O2 sensors coded out on the ECU. Saves lots of hassle. Paid 99 euros for an online service to do it. You just need to use a Kess to dump the bin file and you are good to go.

drabux said:
I just had the post cat O2 sensors coded out on the ECU. Saves lots of hassle. Paid 99 euros for an online service to do it. You just need to use a Kess to dump the bin file and you are good to go.

Sorry not really up on this, so what does removing them actually do to how it runs and why did you have them removed?

By coding them out on the ECU it means that the ECU no longer reads any signal from them. Means they don't need to be wired in. They are only there to check the cats' efficiency.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kclassicauto
Back