Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Car data shows 1 ignition in RR4 incorrectly - Help PLZ

BingB

Monza
Hi all,

So went to get a warranty added to my 997.1 Turbo and the dealer is saying there is recent activity in RR4; in all the time I've had the car (5 years) it's never hit the limiter.

It does occasionally 'rev flair up' when you start the car to around 3500rpm rather then 1500rpm, this has been reported to OPC in the past but never resolved. Can the rev flair up be logging a non existent RR4?

Problem is I am worried when I come to sell the car that it's a bad example due to the incorrect RR4 data.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I would start by asking to see the full report.

MC

nothing you can do. The RR data is grossly inaccurate and should be ignored. It's caused by noise from the crank sensor.

M

If it's a single ignition, then sensible folk will ignore it as spurious.

Agree with all the above.
Get full rev range report and if serious, consider cross check against mileage when you had it serviced, if you don't trust the dealer. :eek:

Cheers guys,

Ok so just came back from dealer they can't get any previous readings so can't tell me if the recorded item in RR4 is 1 single ignition.

Problem is I've not added these they seem to only be appearing in RR4, but I'm still getting the start up flare ups, reading some of the US forums this seems to be a common occurance.

So OPC want an extra 800 for a compression and leak down test, plus the price of a 111 check plus the warranty cost.

What are the results in RR2,3,4. When did they occur? Obviously you can't have a RR4 without 3 and 2.

MC

MisterCorn said:
What are the results in RR2,3,4. When did they occur? Obviously you can't have a RR4 without 3 and 2.

MC

Yes there are some BUT we don't know if they are the same as before or new ones, there csn't be any new ones as I've not been near the limiter.

I think you need another OPC.

What you might ask them is what are the current overrev events and how long ago for each rev range.
If they can't do that, try elsewhere.

i take it you're car is a manual car?

Ok .. this is somewhat strange .. im well used to reading off Rev ranges both at OPC and Indy ...

Range 1-6 is displayed , the amount of ignitions in each range is displayed and the operateing hour counter of the LAST occurence is displayed for each rev range .

You have some in range 4 soo .. your list should look something like this ..

range 1 1378 1800 hrs.
range 2 978 1880 hrs
range 3 275 1700 hrs
range 4 45 950 hrs
range 5 0
range 6 0

Thats a typical rev range .. but there are spurious ones which Porsche list as software errors and to be ignored ..

range 1 500 995 hrs
range 2 49 1100 hrs
range 3 1 1200 hrs
range 4 1 1200 hrs
range 5 1 1200 hrs
range 6 0

Bear in mind the operateing hrs can be higher or lower depending on when the largest over rev was recorded .

Anytime ranges of 1 are recorded in more then one rev range and its a spurious reading .. thats just one example .

Basically the OPC can give you a print out of the ranges as i showed in my first list .. if you can get that and post it here we can comment better :)

I have spurious over revs on mine too but they appear to be just 1 ignition. Over the last 12 months mine has apparently picked up another over rev in ranges 4 and 5 and I know for a fact that my vehicle has been nowhere near these rev ranges. I have the occasional blast but never find the need to exceed 5000 rpm and I have never down changed incorrectly to cause a reading. If I am understanding correctly, one ignition in rev range 5 is something like 0.002 of a second which is impossible.

Pretty much .. yes ..

A range with just 1 in it can be considered spurious but it also depends on the amount of ignition over revs in the range before ..

Something like 56 range 3 and 1 in range 4 could also be considered as normal over revs .

All we used to do was send the details to Porsche .. they then decided whether or not to give a warrenty or ask for compression / leak down tests .. 3 hours at OPC rates and then Porsche decides one way or the other .. its not cheap im afraid .

Its also down to what the OPC thinks , they may not contact Porsche .. they may just say no .. :dont know:

What i can tell you .. an over rev in the range 4 and to a degree in range 5 if more than 200 operateing hours ago will be considered ok and a warrenty granted .

Range 6 and they get a bit cautious , even if above 200 hours since last occurence they may well still say no .... it depends on the amount but rule of thumb and more than 5 and you aint getting a warrenty.

But .. lets be fair here .. range 6 is 1200 or more past the limit .. the chance of engine damage is huge .. i wouldn,t warrenty the car with those odds .. so i agree with Porsche there im afraid .

FYI . i have seen 2 , 3 and 4 in range 6 and these were genuine over revs .

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lb456
Back