Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Belt time?

LSDFJ00

Can I ask, how many Forum members have changed the Distributor belt on their 993 and at what mileage?

Personally I'd go off age rather than mileage. For a +20yr old car I would expect to see the history that they are on their third belt (or a third belt is due as preventative maintenance)

well worth doing, I have done three of mine this year and all were in poor condition, by that I mean if they were in plain sight, I would have changed them much earlier. (belt and bearing)

For the cost against the risk its a no brainer, for me.

Thank you for the replies so far...
Trantorman, you've replaced 3 x 993 belts this year?
How many 993's do you have?

Am thinking of replacing the entire distributor unit...
Can anyone please recommend a repairer or preferably somewhere I can buy an exchange unit and the likely costs associated with each option?

So how difficult are they to change ?
What would be the cost from a garage to replace ?
Regards
Jack

Had mine done in 2013. I went down the full exchange distributor route and had all the leads replaced at the same time. Distributor was £600 at the time.

LSDFJ00 said:
Thank you for the replies so far...
Trantorman, you've replaced 3 x 993 belts this year?
How many 993's do you have?

Am thinking of replacing the entire distributor unit...
Can anyone please recommend a repairer or preferably somewhere I can buy an exchange unit and the likely costs associated with each option?
Didi is the man for dizzy rebuilds, his turn around is so quick it negates an exchange unit. [email protected]
I've sent 2 for my local friend and mechanic Kev recently, total saisfaction.
He will assess and replace only what is needed, belt and all bearings about £400 + p&p. No affiliation just a good guy in the same mould as ToreB and Gert Carnewal.

Yes done mine, which had 104k miles on it, don't think it had been replaced previously.

As Endoman says, Didi is your man if not competent with the spanners...

Trev

Be careful removing but particularly re-inserting into the case, it has to be done right.

Not sure why you would replace the whole unit unless it was damaged?, there are some consumable items in there that can all be replaced (belt and bearings) once done you're good to go.

One belt people often don't touch is the power steering belt, sat at the back right of the engine, this belt will also degrade, often times as with mine the black plastic cover will be damaged too so replace that whilst there.

Trev

Cameltoe & Heel said:
Not sure why you would replace the whole unit unless it was damaged?, there are some consumable items in there that can all be replaced (belt and bearings) once done you're good to go.

One belt people often don't touch is the power steering belt, sat at the back right of the engine, this belt will also degrade, often times as with mine the black plastic cover will be damaged too so replace that whilst there.

Trev

is it possible to do the PAS belt with the engine in - I've been in the area and it looked tricky to say the least...interested if anyone has successfully done it.

Hi wilsonny,

I checked my PAS belt and replaced the cover that had 2 broken lugs on it. However, to do so I had to remove the air filter box and drop the engine down on the rear engine mounts as far as it would go. Not so much as to remove the old cover but to refit the new one. I believe that the lugs had been broken at some time during a routine service where the belt was checked. It was very hard to get the cover off with the engine in its normal position.

From what I remember if I had needed to change the belt I could have done it with the engine in situ but the belt was good.

ATB :)

Attachments

• pas_new_cover_196.jpg
    pas_new_cover_196.jpg
    346.7 KB · Views: 18,020
  • pas_old_cover_897.jpg
    pas_old_cover_897.jpg
    124 KB · Views: 18,020
Cameltoe & Heel wrote:

"Be careful removing but particularly re-inserting into the case, it has to be done right."

I send you a removal instructions / installation instructions - just inquire at [email protected]

decgraham said:
Hi wilsonny,

I checked my PAS belt and replaced the cover that had 2 broken lugs on it. However, to do so I had to remove the air filter box and drop the engine down on the rear engine mounts as far as it would go. Not so much as to remove the old cover but to refit the new one. I believe that the lugs had been broken at some time during a routine service where the belt was checked. It was very hard to get the cover off with the engine in its normal position.

From what I remember if I had needed to change the belt I could have done it with the engine in situ but the belt was good.

ATB :)

thanks... so doable with some skinned knuckles by the sounds !

Hi all,

Has anyone got part numbers for what should be replaced for 'preventative' maintenance..?

Cheers,
Lig.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SBSEA
Back