Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Squeaky steering I think

Duffernot1

Don't drive my new to me C2S as much as I would like. Was worried when I noticed a multi tonal squeak (sort of like Chewbacca) after 20 mins of driving. Thought it was clutch at first. Think it might be steering though. Only at low speed turning both directions.

God this is a long story with no end in sight. Sorry. Did search on here but I seem to be useless at getting the right terms. So used google. Found some things and the suggestion was to lubricate the steering where it goes through the bulkhead. Think I got lithium type grease by WD40 have tried that. Did the clutch plunger bit as well but not assisted spring thingy.

Much prayers and crossing of paired limbs I hope I have sorted this. Has any body else had this sort of issue (not long posting syndrome!) with the steering.

Cheers from me

Many thanks. If my diagnosis is wrong and therefore cure not work will try as per your rennlist post.

Thank you. :)

Chance to drive car today. All smiles until 20 mins in same noises come back. Damn. Anybody any help out there. Will heed the advise given via helpful rennlister (only reply to my post so far) and try that.

:dont know:

Duffernot1 said:
Don't drive my new to me C2S as much as I would like. Was worried when I noticed a multi tonal squeak (sort of like Chewbacca) after 20 mins of driving. Thought it was clutch at first. Think it might be steering though. Only at low speed turning both directions.

God this is a long story with no end in sight. Sorry. Did search on here but I seem to be useless at getting the right terms. So used google. Found some things and the suggestion was to lubricate the steering where it goes through the bulkhead. Think I got lithium type grease by WD40 have tried that. Did the clutch plunger bit as well but not assisted spring thingy.

Much prayers and crossing of paired limbs I hope I have sorted this. Has any body else had this sort of issue (not long posting syndrome!) with the steering.

Cheers from me

For future reference on searching, particularly if you find the search function on here somewhat user unfriendly, put your query into Google but preface it with 911uk, e.g.
911uk squeaky steering

Here's one of many that I found;

http://911uk.com/viewtopic.php?t=62857&sid=26d6cdda37b020981371ac76433698e3

Had a similar problem/squeak - turned out to be the steering rack pinion rubber seal/o-ring. Again similar low use/km vehicle (2010 997.2 C2), so sounds like an issue where the car (steering) hasn't been used/rotated over time.

Fix was new rack - under warranty so lucky

To identify I went under the car and used a mechanics steithascope to locate squeak to rack pinion - actually used a small length of black poly 13mm hose up to my ear; works a treat. Had to do after a long drive as would not squeak when cold.

Hope it helps

So much to try now. Fantastic. Feel hopeful that I can fix this. Thank you to everybody for the advice.

Cheers from me

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JLav211
Back