Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Engine out on 997 turbo - recommended indys near Bath?

drabux

Nurburgring
My 997 turbo has sprung a serious leak around the oil/heat exchanger and the engine will need to be removed to fix it. I called Cameron Cars (near Bath) and they can't fit it in until September!

Do you have any suggestions of good, trustworthy independents who might be able to do the job near Bath?

Cheers,

Alan

My experience with Cameron was that they were actually more expensive than the price I could negotiate with Bristol OPC. This was for brake pads and they did not seem very interested in the work...... so they are off my list.

If you are having to have the car transported it opens up your options. I would recommend SCS Porsche in Honiton (approx 65 miles from Bath) who I used recently. They were excellent, seem very straight, very responsive and make Cameron look eye-wateringly expensive. :eek: Even though they are a 120 mile round trip for me they are well worth the effort.

Best of luck. :thumb:

maph said:
My experience with Cameron was that they were actually more expensive than the price I could negotiate with Bristol OPC. This was for brake pads and they did not seem very interested in the work...... so they are off my list.

If you are having to have the car transported it opens up your options. I would recommend SCS Porsche in Honiton (approx 65 miles from Bath) who I used recently. They were excellent, seem very straight, very responsive and make Cameron look eye-wateringly expensive. :eek: Even though they are a 120 mile round trip for me they are well worth the effort.

Best of luck. :thumb:

Thank you for your knowledgeable and helpful reply. I've phoned them up, prices seem reasonable and it's booked in with SCS at the end of the month!

drabux said:
My 997 turbo has sprung a serious leak around the oil/heat exchanger and the engine will need to be removed to fix it. I called Cameron Cars (near Bath) and they can't fit it in until September!

Do you have any suggestions of good, trustworthy independents who might be able to do the job near Bath?

Cheers,

Alan

Anyone have an idea of the cost of this repair ???
As I think its common on turbos I believe.

:?:

Worth a call to Porsche Exeter
They normally match indie quotes
And having used them for the last 15 years can vouch for their work

Neil Garner at Kemble works on Porsches, no connection and not used him.

Steve Bull over at Devizes? Haven't used myself but a possibility?

tgdesign said:
drabux said:

Cheers,

Alan

Anyone have an idea of the cost of this repair ???
As I think its common on turbos I believe.

:?:

SCS quoted 18 hours to do the work and that's £1080+vat excluding parts. They suggested replacing a few coolant hoses and a brake line while the engine is out. Probably £1750 all in including parts.

I consider this a reasonable amount.

I did consider doing this myself (I replaced the clutch on my 996 tt last year) but I don't think i can stand the mental pain of doing it.

drabux said:
Thank you for your knowledgeable and helpful reply. I've phoned them up, prices seem reasonable and it's booked in with SCS at the end of the month!

No worries, let me know how you get on, I am sure they will take good care of you.

As Mark said OPCs will often also price match indies, Bristol has done it for me on servicing. They will however always try to find other work that 'needs' doing while it is there, SCS will take a much more measured view!

Northway Porsche just outside reading?

More miles but too bunch and worth a call

I'm in the same boat. I've got a very small occasional coolant leak coming from we think the top of the engine.

I'll be using Strasse in Leeds.

Good luck with yours.

drabux said:

Cheers,

Alan

Common Fault on all 996/997 Turbo's....

Make sure they replace all elbows and ALL coolant pipes that look swelled as they are most likely to go next and you dont want another engine out job.

The leak will go to the next weakest point so best to replace all coolant pipes whilst you can otherwise you are just going to have to pay twice for the labour...

SCS has good factory trained techs! They are good.

Just to echo the above comments, make sure they check / replace and fix in place all coolant pipes.

jonno_ said:
Just to echo the above comments, make sure they check / replace and fix in place all coolant pipes.

They said they would do this. They seem very thorough. Is it worth getting the coolant pipes pinned as well?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GT3161
Back